Home

Uh oh... what now?

This is a discussion on Uh oh... what now? within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 08-06-2009, 09:16 PM   #1
I can't feel it

Jgainsey's Arena

OVR: 22
Uh oh... what now?

Alright, I need some help. I'm currently 2 games past the All Star break, and sit in 1st place with a 4.5 game lead over the Mets with the Braves. After a really hot start to the season I've cooled off a little bit, but I'm still playing pretty good baseball. Everything has been going better than expected until I played my last game against the Mets.

For some reason I was feeling froggy with Chipper and tried to steal 2nd. He gets thrown out and has to come out of the game with an injury. Then in the next inning Adam Laroche has to come out of the game after diving for a line drive down the line. I end up losing the game after a bullpen meltdown, and I was so angry about that I forgot Chipper and Laroche were even injured.

I was quickly reminded after the game. Chipper Jones is out for 1 to 2 months with Adam Laroche out for the same amount of time. I haven't had Laroche for long, but he's gotten off to a hot start his first 10 or so games with me. He's already hit 3 home runs with some very clutch hits as well. He's hitting .304 on the year with 15 homers. Then there's Chipper Jones. He was hitting a cool .347 with 16 home runs. ****!

I really don't think I can hold on to 1st place or a WC spot with out two of my best hitters. Martin Prado will work out fine over at 1st, but right now my only option for 3rd is Omar Infante, who is really struggling this year. Plus, there's really nobody in the farm that could be a decent option at 3rd until Chipper is healthy. Freedie Freeman is doing pretty great at 1st in AA, but he's probably to young and inexperienced to call up this year. Plus, I'd like to keep things as realistic as possible.

I took a look at the trading block, and really the only decent hitting pieces are Melvin Mora and Jim Thome. Mora's contract being 5 million and Thome's around 9.

Anybody else playing a Braves franchise out there with any advice? Should I stay the course with Prado and Infante, try to make a big trade, or maybe call up a prospect prematurely. What would you guys do?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-06-2009, 09:25 PM   #2
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62
Re: Uh oh... what now?

I would look to make a trade for one of the positions. I know that you'll get both guys back before the end of the year, but by then it may be too late. I would start seeing whats available and what teams are seeking, and where you have the depth and the prospects to trade.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 08-06-2009, 09:27 PM   #3
Rookie

htoole21's Arena

OVR: 3

I'm doing a braves franchise and how you hit with Chipper I do not know... I'm terrible with him and McCann why I do not know...

But I'd stick with Prado at third.. I have him as an every dayer at 2B I traded Kelly for Andruw Jones(for LF) and I'm trying now to trade Derek Lowe(can't pitch with him) and Garret Anderson for a good Ace pitcher...

Any pitcher recommendations for me?

Also Jason Heyward the stud from AA is a 1B as a secondary, you could call him up, or Freeman from AA, or Barbio(i think I spelled is name wrong) AAA in game I think.
Old 08-07-2009, 12:10 AM   #4
MVP

Braves Fan's Arena

OVR: 11

That's some tough luck right there, if that happened to me I probably would look to trade. Being the Braves you should have 6 starting pitchers at your disposal. So why not include one for a 3rd or 1st baseman? You probably are going to have to let one go at the end of the year anyway (hard to carry 6 starting pitchers....I'm assuming you have Hanson up from Gwinett?) so since you are in first place go ahead and go for it.

I don't know how your season is going but why not put Tim Hudson on the block and see what you can get in return? Or maybe Vasquez?

You probably could get a Mark Derosa type at the very least. What you have to decide is if it's worth that? Then once Chipper and LaRoche get back what do you do with the guy you get back in a trade? Since you'll probably have to trade one of your starting pitchers to get someone of value I don't think you really want to put a guy like that on the bench. If you can get a guy like Derosa though he can play any position so that's probably who I would target.
Old 08-07-2009, 11:21 AM   #5
Pro

cardsfan2222's Arena

OVR: 12

I'd recommend Joe Mather of the Cardinals. He's listed as a LF, but 3rd is his secondary position. He's been very good for me at 3rd, he hit .310 with 14 home runs in limited playing time during the season. He's also been very solid defensively.

It shouldn't take much to get him from the Cardinals, because they have several 3B prospects, and have 3 solid outfielders as well. He's just a bench player for them at best, so he would be worth taking a chance on.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »