Home

Blocking AI

This is a discussion on Blocking AI within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 07-26-2009, 12:27 AM   #1
MVP

OVR: 20
Blocking AI needs some serious work

At this point I can't even count the number of times I have seen a blocker not block somebody who is literally right in front of them. I just had a screen pass using Florida where 3 offensive linemen all managed to not block the lb right in front of them who was the only defender between me and the endzone. Instead one went right past him not blocking anybody while the other two blocked 2 guys behind me who weren't even in the play. I certainly don't expect perfect blocking at all times but I do expect blockers to be able to pick up defenders who are directly in front of them the majority of the time.

Then we have running plays involving pulling linemen where the blocking ai is completely screwed up for the most part making those plays generally worthless. Real fun having to eliminate half of the running plays in your playbook.

I hope this can be patched because right now the blocking ai can be downright awful sometimes.

College: Michigan Wolverines
NHL: Detroit Red Wings
NBA:Detroit Pistons
MLB: Detroit Tigers

Last edited by mgoblue678; 07-26-2009 at 12:36 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-26-2009, 02:45 AM   #2
Ice Cold

NoDakHusker's Arena

OVR: 47
Re: Blocking AI

I know what you mean.
On kick/punt returns I'll notice the blockers will not block the guy that is right in front of them, but instead chase down a guy 20 yards away from him, then I'm stuck having to try and juke/spin my way from the guy(which never works)
Old 07-26-2009, 06:09 AM   #3
Rookie

ttech10's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: Blocking AI needs some serious work

I love the 'race to the endzone' on kick returns. I think I've had 3-4 times that LaRon Moore should have had a TD but 2 or more guys would rather race me to the endzone instead of blocking.
Old 07-26-2009, 10:07 AM   #4
MVP

CKW11's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttech10
I love the 'race to the endzone' on kick returns. I think I've had 3-4 times that LaRon Moore should have had a TD but 2 or more guys would rather race me to the endzone instead of blocking.
Yeah i know exactly what you mean. Its so dumb. Another thing i hate about the blocking ai is that on runs to the outside, usually tosses or options, the blocker will be blocking the defender, then for some unknown reason will just let him go and run off to someone else leaving me completely vunerable.
Old 07-26-2009, 10:16 AM   #5
Rookie

Hipster-Doofus's Arena

OVR: 4

although I realize that their are blocking assignments missed all the time, I do agree with you. It's very evident that there are no real blocking scheme's in this game, it's just block who ever, whenever. Basically it can be summed up at a "Random Chaotic Sequence of Meaningless Events", that, in a nut shell is the blocking.

Evidence of this is in the Option plays out out the shot gun. 90% of the time, the DE to the side of the RB is the read key, meaning he should be unblocked, so the QB can read him, if he closes on dive QB pulls, if he runs upfield, QB gives to RB. Well 99% of the time, the DE is blocked, which means there is NO read key, which basically renders these plays useless.

There ARE missed blocking assigments in real like ALL the time, however some of the ones on here are just plain silly.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-26-2009, 10:24 AM   #6
MVP

Hoos's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKW11
Yeah i know exactly what you mean. Its so dumb. Another thing i hate about the blocking ai is that on runs to the outside, usually tosses or options, the blocker will be blocking the defender, then for some unknown reason will just let him go and run off to someone else leaving me completely vunerable.
Simply, my biggest problem with the game!!!

Hopefully this in on their list of 30 items to fix in the second patch, but I'm not holding my breath.

PSN: hoos4974
Old 07-26-2009, 10:58 AM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 5

Blocking is astrocious in this game. Grant it, I am using Colorado so they're not THAT good, but come one. I routinely get stuffed when i try to go up the gut, and my pass protection is weak. If I hold it for more than 2 seconds I am toast! Luckily I've adjusted sliders and can make it somewhat manageable but I still get sacked a bunch.
Old 07-26-2009, 11:38 AM   #8
Rookie

VUFTBL1's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Blocking AI

Ive been playing some with LSU and I dont have time to even throw a pass. As soon as I drop back the defensive ends are on my QB. Whether I slide protection or not, my tackles seem frozen compared to the DEs. The DE's just go right around them - to the outside or inside. The blocking in this game right now is really sad

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »