Home

What would you ADD to this game if you could?

This is a discussion on What would you ADD to this game if you could? within the Boxing forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Boxing
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 07-16-2009, 11:15 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 5
What would you ADD to this game if you could?

First off, I want to say this game is so cool, they have taken player models and career mode to the next level to make for a much more absorbing game. Kudos to the design team!

With that said, I'd love to hear what things you would add or improve to make this game even more sensational?

I'll start:

I still think the punching feels a bit flat footed and I think they could still improve on the sensation of making full contact on clean punches. I still am not getting that full rewarding feeling of really cracking someone when I get a clean shot off. It's kinda hard to describe but maybe some of you know what Im talking about. Even in some of the older cartoony games of yesteryear like Ready 2 Rumble, it was a very satisfying feeling when you really nailed someone cleanly.

Now Im not saying there should be more clean contact, because I love the messiness and realism of NOT landing all your punches cleanly. It actually makes it more rewarding when you do tag someone....But what Im saying is, those tags somehow dont feel as damaging as the results that sometimes result from them ( Like a boxer falling or going down)

Another thing I'd love to see more of is Create a Boxer customizations of boxing styles, windups, personalities and the ability to sculpt a lot more different body shapes and frames

Add the ability to kidney punch when clenching and grappling

Add more emotion and taunting personality during the fights in the ring....Also, have some after the bell late hitting and scrummaging at times.

The ability to randomly jump in and fight OTHER CPU matches in your Career Mode (similar to the way Madden lets you play any matchup in Franchise Mode)

The ability to Jump in Fight, SIM to a certain Round, Jump out, or Sim to the End ( again similar to the way Madden let you SIM and Play any game) This way if you dont want to fight an entire 10 or 15 rounds, you can SIM some of it.

Any thoughts?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-17-2009, 12:32 AM   #2
MVP

DLaren's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: What would you ADD to this game if you could?

An 'awareness' attribute. There should be a rating that seperates the smart fighters from the not-so smart fighters. Currently, the only difference between fighters are their physical skills, but we all know boxing-IQ is what really sets fighters apart.
College Hoops 2K8 (360): Mighty Monarchs Legacy #2; Currently in Year-12.

College Hoops 2K8 (360): Mighty Monarchs Legacy #1 (retired); 40 seasons completed, 6 NCAA Championships won.
Old 07-17-2009, 05:53 AM   #3
All Star

HMcCoy's Arena

OVR: 35

A retreating weave.
Old 07-17-2009, 07:42 AM   #4
H*F Cl*ss *f '09

Kanobi's Arena

OVR: 14

Better Presentation/Legacy Mode stuff:

- More suspense surrounding decisions/reading of each judge's score card
- Contraversial decisions (possibly against fighters with higher popularity)
- Press Conferences and Weigh-ins leading into Big/Championship fights
- Weight Management/Dietary-Conditioning Discipline
- Celebs at ringside - EA could use some of their connects for this: (Tiger Woods, MLB/NFL/NBA Players, Nscar Drivers, Rap Stars, etc) Other Boxers in the same weightclass (someone scouting you for a future bout perhaps)
- Post-fight interview giving the user some response options that alter their career path and trigger later 'events': Perhaps something like "Who do you wanna fight next?": a) Boxer 1 (b) Boxer 2 (c) Boxer 2 (3) Doesn't matter, I'll take on anybody

That's about all I have for now
Old 07-17-2009, 08:08 AM   #5

OVR: 34

The first thing I think of is how lopsided the knockdowns are in this game. Every knockdown is far too dramatic. I'd like to see a quick hook maybe take a guy to one knee and a nice animation as he shakes it off. It's too often that you see a guy fall like he's a tree in the forest, only to see him get up at the count of 3. Knockdowns are just too predictable.

Second would be faster footwork and a more realistic jab/cross. The more I play the game, the more I realize most punches all come off the same. Eliminate the Haymaker. It's time.

Last would be better presentation. What is really odd and just not tolerable is that you know the result of a fight by two facial expressions at the end. It has to be the most shallow, lack luster build up to a decision that could ever be possible. Two expressions, one of what looks to be confidence and another what looks to be satisfaction tells you who won. How hard would it be to do a voice over announcing the winner of fights while they are standing there with the ref?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-17-2009, 08:41 AM   #6
Banned

OVR: 38

A level between pro and champion oh and multiple versions of boxers at different weights or the choice to raise or lower 1 weight class at the least
Old 07-17-2009, 12:18 PM   #7
Banned

OVR: 5

Very nice suggestions, I particularly agree with the over drama of the knockdowns. Just the fact that they replay it from multiple different camera angles during the live occurence tells you that it is just too overdone and way over the top. They should be further and few in between. Many knockdowns should just look like a fighter trying to get away from a flurry or a stunning one knee-er.

I really laughed when I read this the "tree falling in a forest" comment because thats exactly how I feel too.

Which also leads into my next suggestion. Sometimes less is more...meaning that not all fights should be toe to toe brawls as if I playing out the sequel to the Hearns-Hagler fight (which I think may have been one of the most exciting short fights ever in the history of boxing)

There should be more variety demonstrated in different fights. More clenching and grappling for position and advantages. All the fights are still too clean and too much action and brawling back and forth...it feels too over the top. I know its a video game, but I think the game would feel more exciting and special if these all out toe to toe brawls, were reserved for special matches. They would be more appreciated that way.

Less is More
Old 07-17-2009, 12:34 PM   #8
MVP

parker002's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDQ
Second would be faster footwork and a more realistic jab/cross. The more I play the game, the more I realize most punches all come off the same. Eliminate the Haymaker. It's time.
Bravo.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Boxing »