Home

How do you avoid "the inning"

This is a discussion on How do you avoid "the inning" within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?
Closed Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 05:39 AM   #1
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

OVR: 25
How do you avoid "the inning"

You know the one where there is nothing that can be done to avoid runs being scored on you? The one where you CANNOT strike out the CPU. The one where pitches that you execute perfectly on the meter result in missed locations.

I have this inning at least once per game. I understand that there are usually a few situations in every baseball game where a team will put pressure on a pitcher but this is getting ridiculous. I have when the 8-9 hitters become virtual Albert Pujols'. The foul off pitch after pitch until you either a) walk them or b) finally serve one up. It has became so frustrating lately that I am no longer enjoying pitching in this game.

If only there was an in-game save during RTTS. I am to the point that I wish I could save the game and re-load it when this crap happens. Its unbelievable frustrating and unrealistic to have it happen so often.

Streaming on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/gagnon39
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-13-2009, 07:01 AM   #2
MVP

Grinder12000's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: How do you avoid "the inning"

I've only played 30ish games but I have only had this happen to ME once. Ive been on the good side once also.

I've never had the amazing Home Team Comback either.

Strangly - so far it acts like a real baseball game.

. . . . . maybe it's a Cubs thing? LOL
Old 07-13-2009, 08:50 AM   #3
Rookie

sierra44's Arena

OVR: 4

Give it time. You'll see it a little more often. Ive gotten used to it, but it still bugs the crap outta me. I love the OP's comparison of the 8/9th hitters to King Albert. Its true. they foul off a ton of pitches. Then BAM gone, or double cus you just served it on a platter to try to move on to the next batter. I have seen this in real life lately. Watching the Yankees have 3 straight games against the Angels, where this sort of thing happened. But that was great hitters not always the 7,8/9 hitters.
Oh well, I still love The Show!
Old 07-13-2009, 09:42 AM   #4
Banned

OVR: 13

I posted the following in the closed comeback thread:

I started playing season mode again, and I lowered pitch speed to -1 or 4/10 to get more doubles and it worked. Very oddly and fortunately I have also noticed the CPU just doesn't seem THAT good at the plate anymore, I'm able to get them to hit a lot more weaker hit balls than before and a lot more stikeouts. Same exact sliders I was using before but I dropped pitch speed one notch.

My theory is that there are more available video frames to hit the ball when you lower pitch speed, which leads to greater hit variety. Say, there is something like 15 frames available to hit the ball at default pitch speed. Now, with pitch speed one notch lower, you now have say 20 frames to hit the ball. It makes sense as the ball is visually coming to home plate slower, you should have some extra time (frames) to swing bat when the ball is in the hitting zone. Now, instead of the CPU crushing so many pitches, they are now hitting the ball solid somewhere instead of knocking the cover off of it. So, instead of making contact with the ball within those 2 or 3 frames where the ball would be crushed, they are making contact just outside of those key frames.

I still definitely think there is some kind of rubberbanding effect for BOTH sides as I'm able to hit a little too easily when I'm down.

I really don't know what's going on but for me the game is playing really well for whatever reason. I pretty much gave up on playing against the CPU because of the BS, but I've gave the game one more shot and played a good 20 games or so, and it's been awesome. I've only seen some of that BS in one half inning where my team made 4 errors.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:03 AM   #5
Rookie

redman1's Arena

OVR: 3

Yeah, this happens for sure...

After throwing 2 pitches, i can tell if its going to be on of those innings. I try and play through it, but once i start swearing loudly and am tempted to throw the controller at the tv i usually sim past the rest of the inning to see how much damage has been done and then either get really annoyed as i have lost the game due to the dodgey inning or take great satisfaction in winning the game. makes for a more enjoyable game when you end up winning the games
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-13-2009, 10:37 AM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 2
A great way to avoid "the inning" is to utilize the "mound visit" feature. A lot of times after a pitcher gives up a few hits/walks his confidence goes down making it even harder to get batters out; a mound visit will restore some lost confidence *sometimes*. Also, if its a tired starting pitcher or a reliever that just isn't getting it done, give him the hook. There are ways to avoid these big cpu innings, but you have to stay patient.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:43 AM   #7
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 34

After inning 4 or 5, always have someone getting ready in the bull pen. in inning 7,8, 9, have the bullpen double barrelled. If your pitcher gives up a few hits in the inning and confidence doesn't come back with a mound visit, yank him.

The inning is hard to stop especially on Legend. But in real life, the inning is hard to stop too, otherwise everyone would have 3.00 or less ERA.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:52 AM   #8
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

stay calm, use your bullpen/mound visits, and continue to pitch.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »