Home

Houston, we have a problem

This is a discussion on Houston, we have a problem within the Boxing forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Boxing
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 06-30-2009, 10:09 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 10
Houston, we have a problem

In the ring FN4 is the best boxing simulation I have ever played period, but the legacy mode needs to seriously be fixed. There are some major problems that I will list below that’s a HUGE legacy killers.

Let me start by explaining what I did. I was in my legacy with my heavyweight and clawed and fought the big boys(Ali, Tyson,Chambers etc) to win and defend as the undisputed heavyweight champion and had some epic battles. After going 51-1(wanted to finish as the GOAT first lol) I noticed a terrible trend so I copied my legacy to my memory card and started my experiment and that’s when it was apparent that “Houston, we have a problem”.

The first problem is the ranking system is severely flawed. It really doesn’t hit you hard until you become champion because the logic is really the same throughout the legacy. When you become champ you basically will be fighting the top 5 guys 99% of the time. The other 1% is when someone challenges you which are usually someone rank between 6-9. Now you might be saying that’s fine since that’s usually happens in real life but the problem is you will basically be fighting the same 5 people over and over and over until they retire for the most part.

When you defend your title against the top 5. One of two things will happen. Either there ranking will remain the same or raise. Yes, if you beat someone they don’t go down in the ranking and sometimes goes up lol. On some occasion they might drop and swap places with another boxer but it is still the same 5 guys or the 5th guy might get bump out also but this is rare.

For the heck of it I fought the same guy 3 times in a row that was ranked number 1 and guess what his ranking was after losing by KO in the first round all 3 times. Yep, still number 1. So after fighting the same people for a few years some guys finally retires and I think “Yes, finally some fresh meat” but this brings me to my second problem.

The generated boxers ratings do not progress correctly. My overall rating was about 79 when I won the title and about 84 when I was defending the title. My boxer right/left power, stamina , chin, heart was in the 90s and head/body toughness was in the upper80. I knew I would need a high rating in those to contend with the licensed boxers and to top it off all this was accumulated using auto train .

I said all that to ask why in the world are the generated boxers on average have an overall rating about 75 and they are ranked in the top 5. So on average my major ratings(power,stamina etc) are 20% higher than my challenger. Now, don’t get me wrong you can lose against guys with a lesser rating but let’s be honest if you play fundamentally sound boxing it just not going to happen at least it didn’t for me.

So after having banged with the licensed fighters averaging an overall 95 for the most part. They retire and now I go from fighting pros to joes basically who can’t take my power, don’t have the stamina and don’t have the toughness because they are under developed. So of course I am now wishing Tyson, Ali and the rest didn’t retire after all because now my matches aren’t going longer than 3 rounds and it is like fighting someone off the street. I even remember a few guys that had an overall rating in the freaking 60s.

And to make matters worse as you get older your skill doesn’t deteriorate as they should. I just stopped playing at age 38 because I didn’t see any declines on my ratings what so ever. As a matter of fact at around 35 years old I started boxing every month and was able to easily defend the title with no ramifications. Finished 72-1 on this ‘test’ legacy and that’s just because I was bored to death beating tomato cans.

Now, having said all that these are problem that can be fixed so I hope EA is still hanging around and can tweak the data so

1) Generated boxers ratings are in line with your boxer
2) The ranking system doesn’t reward losing
3)As you get older you start on a sharp decline in ratings plus if you fight to often as an older guy you will also take a big hit in the ratings.

Later

Last edited by DolfanDave; 06-30-2009 at 02:17 PM. Reason: Typo
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-30-2009, 03:38 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 11
Re: Houston, we have a problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by DolfanDave
In the ring FN4 is the best boxing simulation I have ever played period, but the legacy mode needs to seriously be fixed. There are some major problems that I will list below that’s a HUGE legacy killers.

Let me start by explaining what I did. I was in my legacy with my heavyweight and clawed and fought the big boys(Ali, Tyson,Chambers etc) to win and defend as the undisputed heavyweight champion and had some epic battles. After going 51-1(wanted to finish as the GOAT first lol) I noticed a terrible trend so I copied my legacy to my memory card and started my experiment and that’s when it was apparent that “Houston, we have a problem”.

The first problem is the ranking system is severely flawed. It really doesn’t hit you hard until you become champion because the logic is really the same throughout the legacy. When you become champ you basically will be fighting the top 5 guys 99% of the time. The other 1% is when someone challenges you which are usually someone rank between 6-9. Now you might be saying that’s fine since that’s usually happens in real life but the problem is you will basically be fighting the same 5 people over and over and over until they retire for the most part.

When you defend your title against the top 5. One of two things will happen. Either there ranking will remain the same or raise. Yes, if you beat someone they don’t go down in the ranking and sometimes goes up lol. On some occasion they might drop and swap places with another boxer but it is still the same 5 guys or the 5th guy might get bump out also but this is rare.

For the heck of it I fought the same guy 3 times in a row that was ranked number 1 and guess what his ranking was after losing by KO in the first round all 3 times. Yep, still number 1. So after fighting the same people for a few years some guys finally retires and I think “Yes, finally some fresh meat” but this brings me to my second problem.

The generated boxers ratings do not progress correctly. My overall rating was about 79 when I won the title and about 84 when I was defending the title. My boxer right/left power, stamina , chin, heart was in the 90s and head/body toughness was in the upper80. I knew I would need a high rating in those to contend with the licensed boxers and to top it off all this was accumulated using auto train .

I said all that to ask why in the world are the generated boxers on average have an overall rating about 75 and they are ranked in the top 5. So on average my major ratings(power,stamina etc) are 20% higher than my challenger. Now, don’t get me wrong you can lose against guys with a lesser rating but let’s be honest if you play fundamentally sound boxing it just not going to happen at least it didn’t for me.

So after having banged with the licensed fighters averaging an overall 95 for the most part. They retire and now I go from fighting pros to joes basically who can’t take my power, don’t have the stamina and don’t have the toughness because they are under developed. So of course I am now wishing Tyson, Ali and the rest didn’t retire after all because now my matches aren’t going longer than 3 rounds and it is like fighting someone off the street. I even remember a few guys that had an overall rating in the freaking 60s.

And to make matters worse as you get older your skill doesn’t deteriorate as they should. I just stopped playing at age 38 because I didn’t see any declines on my ratings what so ever. As a matter of fact at around 35 years old I started boxing every month and was able to easily defend the title with no ramifications. Finished 72-1 on this ‘test’ legacy and that’s just because I was bored to death beating tomato cans.

Now, having said all that these are problem that can be fixed so I hope EA is still hanging around and can tweak the data so

1) Generated boxers ratings are in line with your boxer
2) The ranking system doesn’t reward losing
3)As you get older you start on a sharp decline in ratings plus if you fight to often as an older guy you will also take a big hit in the ratings.

Later

This dosn't surprise me. It's typical of corporate EA to add a half-*** Legacy mode and hype it as the best thing since seven-up. Three years in the making for this title and look what you found in just a few weeks!!

I wonder who is doing their programing and QC. It wouldn't surprise me either if they are oursourcing it to China, India or Brazil

peace
Ernesto
Old 06-30-2009, 03:45 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 6

haven't been that far in the game, yet. sounds bad though. ratings should drop with player age, similar to what they are doing in madden
Old 06-30-2009, 03:47 PM   #4
Pro

acarrero's Arena

Well that sucks. Clearly, the Legacy Mode is one part that they could improve. Hopefully, they can make some tweaks to it through patches. These do not seem like difficult things to fix. Lets hope they patch it soon.

While we are at it, another thing I would like to be fixed:
Post-fight decisions - could be announced in a more realistic way with more drama. Read the scorecards first, then announce who won like they do in real life. Not sure if this can be patched, but should be considered for the future.
Old 06-30-2009, 04:42 PM   #5
MVP

parker002's Arena

OVR: 12

This is why I won't be using any real fighters in my Legacy mode.

This used to be a problem with NCAA too - as soon as the existing EA-created players would graduate, the talent level fell off a cliff because auto-generated players didn't progress the same way.

The simple fix was to just sim a few seasons until only auto-generated players were left. Not ideal, but at least workable.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-30-2009, 06:30 PM   #6
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by parker002
This is why I won't be using any real fighters in my Legacy mode.

This used to be a problem with NCAA too - as soon as the existing EA-created players would graduate, the talent level fell off a cliff because auto-generated players didn't progress the same way.

The simple fix was to just sim a few seasons until only auto-generated players were left. Not ideal, but at least workable.
But that doesn't change your progression so you would still be a pro among amateurs. Actually leaving the licensed boxers in was the highlight of my legacy as a fought my way to the belts and defended them. Without that my legacy near the end would have been completely boring with no drama or suspense because I was knockdown a few times in my bouts with the 'big boys' but I pulled out the victory on several occasion
Old 06-30-2009, 07:25 PM   #7
Showtime

Jukeman's Arena

OVR: 46

Guys in my legacy progress fine, I have nothIng but made up guys in my legacy...Infact, the prospects are progressing at the same rate that I am....The highest rated boxer in my legacy is some guys who's rated 94...I also see guys moving up and down the rankings....It could be possible that importing boxers into the legacy can cause a bug because when I started one with imported boxers, the game would always freeeze and sometimes my CAB would lose his face...

Last edited by Jukeman; 06-30-2009 at 07:31 PM.
Old 06-30-2009, 07:41 PM   #8
Closet pyromaniac

Whitesox's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukeman
Guys in my legacy progress fine, I have nothIng but made up guys in my legacy...Infact, the prospects are progressing at the same rate that I am....The highest rated boxer in my legacy is some guys who's rated 94...I also see guys moving up and down the rankings....It could be possible that importing boxers into the legacy can cause a bug because when I started one with imported boxers, the game would always freeeze and sometimes my CAB would lose his face...
Well good to hear that your guys progress.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Boxing »