Home

They obviously didn't include the unwritten rules in this game...

This is a discussion on They obviously didn't include the unwritten rules in this game... within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 06-29-2009, 09:46 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 3
They obviously didn't include the unwritten rules in this game...

because I just had a hitter attempt to break up my perfect game by bunting in the 9th. He popped it up straight to my pitcher, and I got the next guy out to finish off the perfect game, but still... you don't do that. It's in the (unwritten) rules!!!

Curt Schilling had a perfect game broken up by a bunt single eight years ago and ESPN debated the issue for days. His bid for perfection was broken up with a 2-0 score, so at least the guy had the "it was still a close game" excuse going. I was up 6-0 at the time. It was a blatant (and classless!) attempt to thwart history. It wasn't even a regular player who did it. It was a bench player who hadn't had a hit all season long, his only chance to ever make a name for himself being this.

Kind of cool to see the CPU attempting to get on base any way possible, despite almost no chance to actually win. I would have been PISSED, though, if he somehow got on base to break it up with a bunt.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-29-2009, 09:51 AM   #2
Banned

OVR: 26
Re: They obviously didn't include the unwritten rules in this game...

So a team that's down in the 9th and needs baserunners, can't bunt if the pitcher has a no-hitter going. I've played baseball for 45 years and have never heard of that. And if you're getting your baseball info and so-called unwritten rules from the talking heads at ESPN, I'd suggest you stop before your head explodes.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:53 AM   #3
RIP Ty My Buddy

nemesis04's Arena

OVR: 52

I have no problem with the bunt attempt. Always expect the unexpected!
Old 06-29-2009, 10:09 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by moTIGS
because I just had a hitter attempt to break up my perfect game by bunting in the 9th. He popped it up straight to my pitcher, and I got the next guy out to finish off the perfect game, but still... you don't do that. It's in the (unwritten) rules!!!

Curt Schilling had a perfect game broken up by a bunt single eight years ago and ESPN debated the issue for days. His bid for perfection was broken up with a 2-0 score, so at least the guy had the "it was still a close game" excuse going. I was up 6-0 at the time. It was a blatant (and classless!) attempt to thwart history. It wasn't even a regular player who did it. It was a bench player who hadn't had a hit all season long, his only chance to ever make a name for himself being this.

Kind of cool to see the CPU attempting to get on base any way possible, despite almost no chance to actually win. I would have been PISSED, though, if he somehow got on base to break it up with a bunt.
I'm sorry but I have to laugh at this. You're telling me in a 2-0 game you would expect the losing team to not try to get a runner on base?? That's crazy man and this situation is definitely not an unwritten rule. If it was 7-0 instead of 2-0, then I could agree with you, but in a 2 run game you do whatever it takes to get runners on base. Because, afterall, YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME!!
Old 06-29-2009, 10:14 AM   #5
RIP Ty My Buddy

nemesis04's Arena

OVR: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by moemoe24
I'm sorry but I have to laugh at this. You're telling me in a 2-0 game you would expect the losing team to not try to get a runner on base?? That's crazy man and this situation is definitely not an unwritten rule. If it was 7-0 instead of 2-0, then I could agree with you, but in a 2 run game you do whatever it takes to get runners on base. Because, afterall, YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME!!
He said he was up 6-0 at the time. Even with the score I like that the cpu does not lay down and die. Who knows it could have been the spark the team needed to get the merry-go-round going.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-29-2009, 10:21 AM   #6
MVP

woody2goody's Arena

OVR: 5

I'm sure on MLB 08, when I still wasn't 100% on the game of baseball, I once attempted a bunt after being no-hit for 7 innings. I think it was in RTTS with my guy and I didn't pay attention to the fact my team hadn't got a hit.

The commentators said that it wasn't sportsmanlike or something of that ilk.
Old 06-29-2009, 12:14 PM   #7
X marks the spot

zephyr13's Arena

OVR: 5

Unwritten rules in baseball are dumb...

Sure, it makes sense that a team should just stop trying because the other teams pitcher has a no-no going... makes perfect sense that they should just roll over a die. [/end sarcasm]
Old 06-29-2009, 02:38 PM   #8
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by moemoe24

Agreed. I'm glad the CPU doesn't just roll over.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »