Home

% spent on positions

This is a discussion on % spent on positions within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 06-28-2009, 07:09 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 3
% spent on positions

What are your opinions and how much do you spend on differnet team positions in a 3-4 scheme ie, what percentage do you give for QB,HB,WR etc
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-29-2009, 02:16 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 10
Re: % spent on positions

Percentage of what? Money?
Old 06-29-2009, 03:03 AM   #3
MVP

OVR: 26

I spend exactly 6.25% on QBs 4.75% on HBs...

I have never in my life said I will have a set amount of cash for X position. I may value a position/type of player more then another and be willing to pay more for a lesser player if he fits the bill of what I want but it all depends on what kind of team I want to run.

Just saying a 3-4 is not enough info for me to say what I would want most out of my team. If its a 3-4 that blitzes lighter then others then I would look more into having a better Dline and better coverage players. Some 3-4s have heavy DB blitzes compared to LBs so I would want better blitzing DBs. If I were to be blizing mainly with my LBs then I would want a solid Dline and amazing pass rushers at LBs. If I am using the Pats playbook I would want to put together a defense as stout at the Pats have to run it effectively.

On offense, its the exact same thing with the exception for the Oline. Some playbooks rely on TE and HB passes. Therefore I would be willing to pay more for catching/route running TEs and RBs. If I was running a spread playbook like the Pats I would want talented WRs and a strong armed QB and would be willing to pay more for them. If I was going run heavy like the Steeler's playbook I would be willing to pay more for physical RBs and blocking TEs. If I was using a west coast system I would not mind having a weak armed QB and would pay more for an accurate/aware QB.

The exception for the oline is the fact that having a good Oline will win or lose games. If I am going to be more pass heavy I would value a pass blocking linemen more BUT I would still want a more balanced linemen because Olinemen are that important in the overall success of an offense.

If you want, place the playbook/your idea for what kind of team to be running and I will give my opinions on what type and how valuable X players would be in that given playbook.

Last edited by Glorious Arc; 06-29-2009 at 03:21 AM.
Old 06-29-2009, 04:27 AM   #4
Rookie

I will be using the cowboys default playbooks so the offence will be built around pass first then the run just to keep the defence honest.

My 3-4 defence will be built around getting pressure on the QB via the linbackers therefore the DL must be able to keep the OL busy.

I plan on playing mostly man coverage with a little zone mixed in to confuse with my SS used in a run support/blitz role
Old 06-29-2009, 10:40 AM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 5

in a 4-3, i spend most of my money(easily 20 to 25%) on the starters for the OL. then im guessing the next largest chunk goes into the DL as a whole(usually my worst rated DL is in the high 70s or low 80s ovr in my philosophy)

LBs and DBs, and RBs are probably my 3rd biggest area tied. QB gets like 1%, since most of my teams are smashmouth and i rarely pass a ball so i almost always start a journeyman QB or some late rounder who is servicable and cheap. so my WRs also dont get a lot of money
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-30-2009, 06:08 PM   #6
MVP

For offense, I would look to grab a 88+ arm strength QB. The stronger the better but the weakest you would want is 88 because a lot of the routes are deep.

Because the plays are really divided into I formation, single back, and gun I would look to either getting a balanced TE or a receiving one. This is almost required because the TE will be seeing the field a lot in these formations. If you get a receiving TE you can place him as your 5th WR and he will get even more action.

I would look to also make sure I have 3 fairly strong WRs. Maybe have your # 1 and 2 be in the 90s and have your 3rd one in the 80s. The routes the playbook has leans towards having faster/route running WRs to get deep and/or shorter routes that are cuts. For your 4th and 5th WRs I would make sure they can at least catch the ball(or put in your TE as your 5th)

The running back is a tough call. I normally always run a 2-3 back system because RBs get tired very quickly. I would try and get a pure power back for the dives and some of the off tackle runs and pick up a faster fineness RB for the tosses and draws.
Old 06-30-2009, 06:38 PM   #7
MVP

For defense, I would use the Jets 3-4.

They have a great set of man coverage LB blitzes. I would want to grab man press CBs. They will become your bread and butter because they will give your LBs an extra 1-3 seconds, depending on how well they can press, to get to the QB. The QB will either throw the ball too early and/or make a bad throw and will cause a lot of incompletions. Every so often one of your players will pick a ball off.

The risk, well huge risk, about running a man press 3-4 is the LBs normally can not press worth crap or they dont press at all. If you are playing a team that uses 3 wideout sets then its almost suicide to use man press blitz because a good QB will get the ball out of his hands so quickly and if it is a LB covering he will not be able to keep up and its an easy big play. If you are going against a pass heavy team with a good QB I would advise to not even think about using the 3-4 and just stick with nickel and dime blitzes(depending on how many WRs they bring out)

Onto the LBs...The jets 3-4 uses primarily the OLBs on their blitzes. They will also use a little bit of the 2nd MLB but the 1st MLB is almost always in man coverage. Because of this I would look to get pure pass rushers at OLB, I would even go as far to say take a DE and put him at OLB but that would limit your playbook a little. I would make my 1st MLB a speed coverage type because he will be in coverage mroe then he will be blitzing. Your 2nd MLB I would grab a balanced LB(basicly 60-80 in coverage and 70+ in rush skills)

For the Dline I would still look to get athletic players. Think of a line made up of 3 Julius Peppers. Basically, 6'5"+ 280+ pound with 70+ speed and high strength. I have found when doing man blitz the LBs can get tangled up in blocks and the CBs wont get off blocks so the RB will only have to beat a Dline men and if he is slow the RB just runs past him with ease. Having a faster Dline will create more havoc and help prevent some of the bigger plays that may happen.

A trick I learned for using a SS/FS in run coverage is editing the play before hand then shifting him down into the box and edit his coverage to QB spy. He will either drop back into a shallow like zone or will rush right in to try and stop the RB if its a run. The only issue is once you edit the play you will not be able to tell your CBs to press.

The last player to address is the FS. I would look to get a Bob Sanders like player. One that is extremely fast and can tackle well. He will hawk down any deep play that may develop and make the stop.

Hope that helped you out man.
Old 07-01-2009, 11:07 AM   #8
Rookie

Cheers thats makes great sense any player your can recommend for the DL & DB?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »