Home

2009 Florida Gators Football

This is a discussion on 2009 Florida Gators Football within the College Football Official Team Threads forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football > College Football Official Team Threads
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 06-13-2009, 11:15 PM   #1
NL MVP

Sportsforever's Arena

OVR: 23
2009 Florida Gators Football

I figured it's about time the defending champs have their own thread.

The Gators return 17 starters, all 11 on defense, and have a joke of an OOC schedule. They will more than likely be the pre-season #1. Having said that, they have a lot going against them when it comes to repeating:

1) It's hard to repeat...it doesn't happen often. You need to be good AND lucky.

2) Percy Harvin is a Viking. It will be interesting to see who steps up now that #1 is gone. Rainey and Demps will be a year older, but I am interested to see who steps up at the receiver position. I think Carl Moore could really break out as a senior and Deonte Thompson has looked decent.

3) Can they go undefeated? Barring crazy stuff happening, I think the Gators MUST go undefeated if they want to repeat as their OOC is weak. I can't see them slipping up and getting another pass on it. 14-0 must be the goal.

4) The offense only returns 6 starters. Sure, they have #15 at QB, but this will be a work in progress early on. At least the defense should allow them to grow.

I'm really looking forward to this year as there are a lot of story lines. Tebow's swan song, can the Gators repeat, is this Meyers last year in Gainesville, etc. I think the schedule is favorable (toughest game seems to be @ LSU...they get UT and FSU at home) and defense wins championships, but when is the last time the preseason #1 won it all?

Go GATORS!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-13-2009, 11:53 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 30
Re: 2009 Florida Gators Football

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsforever
3) Can they go undefeated? Barring crazy stuff happening, I think the Gators MUST go undefeated if they want to repeat as their OOC is weak. I can't see them slipping up and getting another pass on it. 14-0 must be the goal.
That's just not true.

I think we can eliminate every Big 10, Big East, and ACC team from going undefeated. USC will almost certainly lose 1 due to youth, and the Big XII won't have two teams in the chip.

If the SEC champ goes 12-1, they're a lock for the chip. Given that Muschamp and Tuberville have left Auburn, there is no SEC team that can beat Florida more than once. The greatest NCAA athlete of all time will lead Florida to yet another SEC championship and his third national title.

This will be the year Florida has been waitng 1X0 years for. An undefeated national championship year where your quarterback cements himself as the greatest amatuer team sports athlete of all time.

Enjoy Florida fans.
Old 06-14-2009, 12:16 AM   #3
Boom!!

J-Unit40's Arena

It's about time we got our own thread! I thought about starting this after the Orange & Blue Game, but decided to wait.

Anyway, it will be an interesting year, but with the defense returning everyone and then some, it will be hard for us to lose a game during the regular season. I say we end up undefeated heading into the title game and then I would have to reassess at that point.

Tebow will have another outstanding season and I really look forward to seeing who will emerge as the premier playmaker(s). Rainey can be electric, but needs to stay healthy. Demps will definitely bust some big plays for us too. I think Moody gets more carriers this year since Harvin won't be there to take up 7-8 carries per game. Another thing to watch for is how UF will run some of their offense under center. They did this went Leak was there to match his strengths, but I want to see how Tebow plays taking snaps under center. I have confidence he'll do just fine since he's probably been working on it for months now and gets to go against arguably the best defense in the country.

For the WRs, I am anxious to see Andre Debose play. Even though he'll be a true freshman, I think he sees the field. Thompson and Moore will probably step up, but Nelson may be a key possession type receiver for us. Our biggest playmaker out of this group will likely be Hernandez. That dude can play football! Very versatile. Outside of Gresham at OU, he's the best TE in the nation.

GO GATORS!

Last edited by J-Unit40; 06-14-2009 at 10:46 AM.
Old 06-14-2009, 12:24 AM   #4
NL MVP

Sportsforever's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cebby
That's just not true.

I think we can eliminate every Big 10, Big East, and ACC team from going undefeated. USC will almost certainly lose 1 due to youth, and the Big XII won't have two teams in the chip.

If the SEC champ goes 12-1, they're a lock for the chip. Given that Muschamp and Tuberville have left Auburn, there is no SEC team that can beat Florida more than once. The greatest NCAA athlete of all time will lead Florida to yet another SEC championship and his third national title.

This will be the year Florida has been waitng 1X0 years for. An undefeated national championship year where your quarterback cements himself as the greatest amatuer team sports athlete of all time.

Enjoy Florida fans.
I sure hope that UF repeats, but I expect the winner of the RRR to go undefeated this year (I'm thinking Texas) and I think USC will surprise some folks. The Gators can/should go undefeated...on paper they are better than every team on their schedule and have fewer question marks than anyone, but they don't play games on paper.
Old 06-14-2009, 12:34 AM   #5
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsforever
I sure hope that UF repeats, but I expect the winner of the RRR to go undefeated this year (I'm thinking Texas) and I think USC will surprise some folks. The Gators can/should go undefeated...on paper they are better than every team on their schedule and have fewer question marks than anyone, but they don't play games on paper.
But paper can't factor in The Tebow.

I'm hoping to get down to the USC/UF game (my best friend's cousin is homey's with a guy who can get Spurrier tickets anywhere [the relationship is a lot closer than when typed]) to see The Tebow for the first time since the best night of my life.

Last edited by Cebby; 06-14-2009 at 12:37 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-14-2009, 08:17 AM   #6
Boom!!

J-Unit40's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cebby
But paper can't factor in The Tebow.

I'm hoping to get down to the USC/UF game (my best friend's cousin is homey's with a guy who can get Spurrier tickets anywhere [the relationship is a lot closer than when typed]) to see The Tebow for the first time since the best night of my life.
And what night would that be.....?
Old 06-14-2009, 09:17 AM   #7
Lie,cheat,steal,kill: Win

trobinson97's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Unit40

I would guess the first time he saw Tebow.

SteamID - Depotboy

...2009, 2011, 2012, 2015, 2017, 2020....
What a run
Roll Tide

Old 06-14-2009, 09:22 AM   #8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Unit40
The only night I saw Tebow play (before I realized his greatness). Tebow was actually involved very little in the scheme of things (not as irrelevant as most of the Ricky Bobby song, but not far from it).

However, I have come full circle on him, but enough about me.

Who is going to step up and replace Harvin on the passcatching front?

Last edited by Cebby; 06-14-2009 at 09:31 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football > College Football Official Team Threads »