Home

THE Ultimate Madden Debate...

This is a discussion on THE Ultimate Madden Debate... within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 06-09-2009, 03:54 PM   #1
MVP

cdon2k's Arena

OVR: 20
THE Ultimate Madden Debate...

First a little back story. I played most of 09 as the Colts and as we all know the running game this year was a bit fugly with the OL running right by their assignments and blitzing LB's...

As a result, I really struggled with running using the Colts overall. But here is the kicker; the Colts finished near the bottom of the NFL in rushing last year in real life so despite the bugs... where my results justified?

Here it is guys, THE ultimate Madden question. Should teams, if bad in a certain area such as the Colts in rushing last year be basically unusable in that area (like in 09) or basically only have slight differences giving every team a chance to be successful despite their ratings/real performance (like in the PS2 version where you had a good chance of success with any team)?

Let's spin it forward a bit. Let's say a user's favorite team is the Lions. Now in past gen (PS2) a player could run a season and dominate with the Lions due to the condition mentioned in the above paragraph (basically all teams only slightly performing differently), but now (thanks to gang tackling and break tackle potential) it's becoming more and more difficult to take that team and succeed. I have to say that getting the teams to perform like themselves is a step in the right direction, but the result is rendering teams difficult to play with (even my Colts who everyone thinks is a top tier team, but with very little run ability it's not the case).

Additionally, I think as Madden becomes more sim and the teams are differentiated, this has led to the fact that only a few teams are used online. It is getting harder and harder to play as the bad teams and we are seeing some results of that.

So the question remains... Should teams play like themselves (most of them having big holes in the three phases of the game) or do we want a PS2 like experience where every team has a chance to perform well.

Thoughts and comments are appreciated. Thanks for reading.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-09-2009, 04:10 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 55
Re: THE Ultimate Madden Debate...

I like the concept of teams having big holes. It creates more of a matchup game. For example, I was looking at the Packers team ratings today and noticed that 3 of the 4 starting DB's were over 90 overall. In fact.. of the 5 packers in the 90's... 3 were DB's. This being the case - you'd like to see people playing to their strength and running a lot of man bump like they do.

A big problem I've had with Madden in the past is the lack of differentiation between teams. In my opinion every team felt the same. Derrick Ward felt a lot like Adrian Peterson - which shouldn't be the case. Tavares Jackson felt almost just like Peyton to me. I want the clear difference. I want 3rd and long to be HARD to complete through the air with the Vikings and I want a much better chance with Peyton and Co.

Without clear matchups and holes the game boils down to being far less exciting and interesting for me. Luckily, EA apparently agrees with my sentiment as they stretched the ratings out this season. I really hope that weaknesses are exposed and we can see our big stars shine. There are very few "complete" teams in the NFL and I think this WILL be represented this year in Madden.

One area where I have NOT seen this talent discrepancy appear is in the OL/DL battles. I want my 99 OVR Jared Allen to wreak havok on 90% of the NFL's OT on a consisten basis, and be in control every game. People should pay for leaving the top-flight pass rushers in 1 on 1 blocking with a non 90+ OVR OT the entire game. That is a mismatch... I'd like to see it show.
Old 06-09-2009, 04:11 PM   #3
Rookie

turfguy23's Arena

OVR: 10

The great thing about video games is that you can create your own fantasy world. I don't feel I should be hindered because the "real Lions" sucked last year. This is not "real life". We want the game to ultimately feel, look, and play real, but with user control affecting the outcome of the game. Not what happened in real life.

The Lions couldn't stop anyone on Defense last year. We were one of the worst defenses of All-Time. But should I give up 40 points per game to reflect the "real Lions?" That would be like kicking me while I was already down. Why play the game?

Madden football gives me the ability to control my own destiny. As a fan of the Lions I have no control over what happens when I watch us get destroyed on Sundays. Madden gives me control. That's what video games are about. So NO, I don't think we should be penalized. We should be given total control over the outcome of the game.
Old 06-09-2009, 04:13 PM   #4
Banned

OVR: 26

Honestly about a month after buying the game, I can dominate the CPU with any team. Which is why I don't play offline franchise anymore.
Old 06-09-2009, 04:17 PM   #5
MVP

cdon2k's Arena

OVR: 20

Excellent post Kasey, this is just the type of stuff I was looking for. The answer to the question seems obvious that teams should represent their on the field counterparts holes and all, but I am imagining an outcry of fans for that particular team (let's give the Vikes as and example) when they can't toss the ball around at will. I've often said that Madden needs two modes "SIM" and "ARCADE", but that's getting off topic lol.

I eventually realized that I had to play the pass game nearly exclusively with the Colts in 09, much as they do in real life and that is a testament to the game but it did get frustrating not being able to run the ball.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-09-2009, 04:19 PM   #6
Banned

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by turfguy23
The great thing about video games is that you can create your own fantasy world. I don't feel I should be hindered because the "real Lions" sucked last year. This is not "real life". We want the game to ultimately feel, look, and play real, but with user control affecting the outcome of the game. Not what happened in real life.

The Lions couldn't stop anyone on Defense last year. We were one of the worst defenses of All-Time. But should I give up 40 points per game to reflect the "real Lions?" That would be like kicking me while I was already down. Why play the game?

Madden football gives me the ability to control my own destiny. As a fan of the Lions I have no control over what happens when I watch us get destroyed on Sundays. Madden gives me control. That's what video games are about. So NO, I don't think we should be penalized. We should be given total control over the outcome of the game.
+1

people tend to forget that most of those losses the Lions had was less than 10 points and was leading in the fourth quarter. ANYBODY can win on ANY GIVEN SUNDAY, i have no problem spreading the ratings out but as long as weak teams can compete with the good teams ITS ALL GOOD WITH ME
Old 06-09-2009, 04:23 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 55

Here's the catch though... do you think it should be just as easy to win with the Lions as it is with the Giants or Patriots? Don't you think the Lions should have to call a better game, maybe catch a break or 2 to win decidedly? I think so.

What's the fun in having every team "good"? We may as well not even have ratings then. We can all just play with different jerseys and pretend we're all good.
Old 06-09-2009, 04:26 PM   #8
MVP

kjcheezhead's Arena

OVR: 27

I think PS2 had owners using the same handful of teams too. Eagles, Cowboys,and Patriots was who I usually saw on Madden 08.

As far as teams playing like themselves, that is essential to a good football game imo. Players that use the colts online should be players that like to pass to set up the run. The ravens and titans on the other hand are for players that are run a conservative offense and play solid defense. Then it's up to the users to find teams that suit their style best.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »