Home

How do You Guys Handle Secondary Positions?

This is a discussion on How do You Guys Handle Secondary Positions? within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 05-29-2009, 08:02 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 3
How do You Guys Handle Secondary Positions?

I'm playing a franchise as the Tigers and I acquired a really good 1B prospect, but Cabrera is locked down there on the big club for a while.

It'd be great if there was some was for this guy to "learn" another position, but since there isn't, what would you do? Just play him at another position? Edit his player card? (That feels like cheating.) Or am I forced to either DH or trade him? I've got some house rules for realism as far as trades go, and I'm trying to decide what's the most realistic thing to do in this situation. (which was probably not to sign the get the prospect in the first place.)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-29-2009, 08:10 AM   #2
Hoping for change...

PsychoBulk's Arena

OVR: 23
Re: How do You Guys Handle Secondary Positions?

You could move Miggy to 3rd and play this guy at 1st, moving Inge to the bench, however Inge is superb for me so i wouldnt do that, also putting Inge at DH would lose his superb defensive ability and arm.

Tough one.

I think i would either DH him (play Guillen LF) or trade him.
Old 05-29-2009, 08:13 AM   #3
Pro

masterkembo's Arena

OVR: 9

Having prospects learn a new position would be a nice addition. They could add that to RTTS too - coach asks you to learn a new position and you have the choice of doing it or not...

As for your situation, does the prospect have a second position? You could just switch is 2nd position and his primary which is probably the most reasonable I think...

Could you move Cabrera back to 3B? What was the reason he changed to 1B anyway?? (IRL) Positions like 2b/ss or OF I don't mind changing because there's not a huge difference for a SS to move to 2B, but moving a 1B is a tough call...
Old 05-29-2009, 10:15 AM   #4
Faceuary!

N51_rob's Arena

OVR: 54

A few questions.
How old is the kid? I ask because if he is young there is time to devolope him with while not forcing him into the MLB.

Are you still in the division/wildcard hunt? If you are another bat never hurts, if you are not and this kid is the future, you could try to move Cabrera's contract and get some imediate help and a porspect or two at a position.

What about a position change for the kid? You could just put him at an OF spot in AA or AAA and play a few games with that team and see for yourself if he can play that position when you finally get him up to the bigs.

Twitch

Finally Access to Coaches Tape! Coaches Film Analysis

2 Minute Warning PS4 Madden 18 Franchise
Washington Redskins (0-0) Last Game: N/A
Year 1:
Old 05-29-2009, 03:56 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 26

Either edit your player's primary or secondary position. With a first baseman, a move to the outfield is in order. It's the same problem the Rangers have; they have an established first baseman and Justin Smoak waiting in the wings.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-29-2009, 04:18 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 7

In your situation, I'd probably move Cabrera to 3rd. . .only if you REALLY want to play this kid.
Old 05-29-2009, 04:55 PM   #7
Banned

livnlegn's Arena

OVR: 5

I don't see a position switch as unrealistic. Now if you edit his fielding attributes to accommodate the switch, that's cheating. I move guys first thing when I sign them. I move them to whatever their attributes and fielding skills dictate-- i.e. a fast good fielding guy with not much power and an o.k arm can only play CF or 2b. Of course, there are other factors that play a role (size, age, need, etc.) If you want to send him down to AAA and let him "learn" the position, do that.
Old 05-29-2009, 04:58 PM   #8
MVP

duke776's Arena

OVR: 28

I could see LF or RF as a good position for a 1b prospect to play while Miggy is still there. Joey Votto played a little left field for the reds when they had Conine and Hatteberg playing 1b during the 2007 season.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »