Home

defending the wraparound

This is a discussion on defending the wraparound within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 05-26-2009, 01:21 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
defending the wraparound

It seems lately people are really killing me with the wrap around. I can effectively shut down one side by hugging that post with a kneeling d-man, but the problem is the other defenseman often leaves his post. This results in a cat and mouse game where I'm either frantically switching between the two d-men trying to keep them adjacent to the goal, or trying to shadow the carrier behind the net with a single defenseman. Either way, after several feigns I end up half a step slow and get beaten.

I use Protect Net / Collapsing, and normally play a very patient defense, but these guys who just wrap around all game make my goalie feel like Manon Rheaume. Does anyone have any pointers?

Thanks in advance,
Ross
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-26-2009, 02:23 PM   #2
MVP

bigwill33's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: defending the wraparound

I wouldn't kneel, that gives them the advantage in beating you to the other side. Like you said, you are going to have do it by yourself because your other d-man is not going to help. Thus you must poke check with your guy and race back and forth to each post. Hold the poke button and sweep your stick at the puck in hopes to knock it free. When you do that you can either try to get the puck, hit the guy, or lift his stick.

It is a cat and mouse game for sure, and hopefully EA fixes the cheesey glitch wrap around goals that plague this game. But there is hope. Only use the kneel or dive as a last ditch effort.

Also, and this is big, bring down a speedy forward to play defense. If you know he is going to camp out behind the net make sure you select a center that can cover ground quickly. This allows the cpu to play defense for you and if you play the front of the net sometimes the cpu players chase him out from behind.

Finally, leave Mrs. Rheaume out of this, she was pretty hot.
Old 05-26-2009, 03:41 PM   #3
I can't feel it

Jgainsey's Arena

OVR: 22

That's usually what I have to do with guys like this. Pick one of you quicker guys and try to use the poke check/stick sweep in front of the goalie. It sucks, but that is really the only way to try and counter it.

An indirect way to fight it is to try and maintain as much possession in the offensive end as much as possible. The more time you spend in the other guys end is that much less time you have to spend trying to defend that crap.
Old 05-26-2009, 04:18 PM   #4
Banned

OVR: 10

I tend to just elbow a guy in the face when he continually tries the wrap around.
Old 05-27-2009, 02:35 AM   #5
Pro

OVR: 22

Isnīt there a defensive setting for this? I am super sure that I have seen the defensemen (both cpu) hug the posts a few times playing online. They just block the way, like a tie up.

Btw, why are there so many glitch goals on all of EAs hockeygames? I love the game, but it seems there are so many glitch goals over the years.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-27-2009, 09:40 AM   #6
EA Game Changer

LuGer33's Arena

OVR: 10

Hit the ice with your stomach. I hate people who ignore positional defense in lieu of simply diving all over the ice, but it is somewhat effective if your opponent is going to keep going for wraparounds. Also, by the third or fourth time he's tried it, you should know it's coming, and adjust your defensive play accordingly. I recall someone I played in versus once kept trying to wrap it over, and over, and over all game long, despite the fact that he was only successful in completing the move a few times in the first. Every time after, I drove him wide and then buried him along the back or sideboards before he could get around for the glitch.

The best part about people like that is they are one trick ponies. Stop their BS and they don't know what to do. Then it becomes an easy win, and everyone is happy. At least, everyone that matters.
Old 05-27-2009, 10:03 AM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 4

Ive played a far share of games this year (none in EASHL) and have never even once been bothered by wraparounds. In probably 500 games Ive only given up like 10, I didn't even know it was a form of cheese until I started reading the forums more a few months ago.

Anyway, depending on how fast I can recognize and get a player in position to defend, usually a well-timed poke check does the trick (my timing is usually impeccable with poke checks), and if I get there early enough and beat them to the spot I will punish them with a body check.

If you get someone that dances behind the net just hold the Vision Control button and dont make any unnecessary major changes of direction as they usually try to bait you into making a mistake. Temper your aggressiveness once they get the puck in that deep unless you have them outnumbered and you should be in good position to stop anything near the net.

Currently Playing
Fight Night Rd. 4 (360)
UFC Undisputed (360)
FIFA 09 (360)
MLB: The Show 09 (PS3)
Old 05-27-2009, 12:34 PM   #8
MVP

bukktown's Arena

OVR: 19

I think that taking control of the goalie is the best way to stop it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »