Home

What are 2k's plans to win back players?

This is a discussion on What are 2k's plans to win back players? within the NHL 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Other Hockey Games > NHL 2K
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 05-16-2009, 01:29 AM   #1
Banned

OVR: 14
What are 2k's plans to win back players?

I've been playing 2k hockey for years, until NHL2k9. Religiously played until 2k9 came out, which I played for about a week before I decided the game was nothing like 2k7 or 2k8.

Switched over to 09 which for the most part has been great. We have a 4 man franchise going on right now that we are in year 2 and the gameplay is phenomenal.

My reason for posting is I'm curious what 2k is going to do to win back people who hated 2k9 and jumped ship to EA's version??

I really don't plan on buying both games seeing as the only reason I did this year was I enjoy hockey games but couldn't stand 2k9.

What did it for me was the simplified controls left you with very little stick options, they put the poke and dive feature on the same button so sometimes when I go to poke I dive instead, and the real clincher was the delayed passing. You would get the puck and get checked before you had time to get the pass off.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-16-2009, 08:08 AM   #2
Banned

OVR: 26
Re: What are 2k's plans to win back players?

I assume their approach will be the same as always: ignore their consumer base; don't release PR material until the very last moment; release the game in an unfinished and untested state. That's what they've done the past few years with both their hockey and baseball games. Until they show they're committed to a different approach, what else should people expect?

The other thing is VC is dumbing-down both series -- 2K's way of attracting the casual, "pick up and play" gamer as they put it. I would guess we can expect more of the same in the next installments.
Old 05-16-2009, 09:27 AM   #3
MVP

CarryTheWeight's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by baa7
I assume their approach will be the same as always: ignore their consumer base; don't release PR material until the very last moment; release the game in an unfinished and untested state. That's what they've done the past few years with both their hockey and baseball games. Until they show they're committed to a different approach, what else should people expect?
If they go down that road this year, I'm done with the series. Every game in their series this season, like I've said millions of times around these parts, has immense potential that should not go to waste. If it does go to waste this year, you can count me out of buying any future installments. I think a good amount of forum posters agree. 2K10 needs to be a great year for VC/2K across the board (not just for NHL), because many gamers around here have lost faith in the product, a far cry from what we saw five years ago when the 2K product line was at its apparent peak with the 2K5 series of games.

The abysmal reviews MLB 2K9 got should open VC's eyes: it's time to put up or shut up. That, combined with backlash from the market they're trying to cater to (hell, check the comments on every NHL 2K9 video on YouTube) also sends a similar message: the series needs to be of higher quality or gamers won't be able to accept it.
Old 05-16-2009, 10:38 AM   #4
MVP

Flyermania's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by baa7

The other thing is VC is dumbing-down both series -- 2K's way of attracting the casual, "pick up and play" gamer as they put it. I would guess we can expect more of the same in the next installments.
QFT. 2k's marketing has been inferior for years, which isn't a good approach considering the marketing juggernaut that EA is. 2k needs to get some info out there quick...but I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for it.
Old 05-16-2009, 12:06 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 12

2k9 put 2k so far behind I can't see them doing anything to catch up. IMO they are pretty much done! Probably the last year for 2k hockey(IMO). Hiring two forum poster sure won't help them.
They will really need something huge to even get half the people back they lost last year. RIP. Maybe they can sell their online league technolgy to EA and gain a few $$$. Its about the only area they have EA beat at so far.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-16-2009, 12:10 PM   #6
Twitch/YouTube: Fiddy14

Fiddy's Arena

OVR: 32

make the game 39.99, that would win some people back!!
http://www.youtube.com/@Fiddy14
X
https://x.com/Fiddy14_

Favorite Teams
Pittsburgh Penguins
New York Mets
Cleveland Cavaliers
Cleveland Browns
Notre Dame Fightin Irish
Liverpool FC
Old 05-16-2009, 11:17 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 5

It's sad to see the 2K brand falling out like it is. Back in the Dreamcast days, 2K sports was a very quality brand. That continued onto PS2 and XBox, and EA's games were looking pretty dull to me. Believe me... I used to be the biggest 2K fan out there..

I haven't purchased a 2K game since ESPN Football 2K5, and EA seems to be getting a lot of things right. I was uneasy about NHL 10 before the information that was announced, and now I'm very excited.

If anyone needs to be posting on blogs about game progress, and listening to the consumer, it's 2K... and it's just not happening. If 2K makes a great hockey game, then that's fantastic. I'll buy it. But right now, I'm just not so sure that's going to happen.
Old 05-16-2009, 11:56 PM   #8
Banned

OVR: 14

Every year I used to buy 2k Football, Hockey, and College B-Ball. Now the only one I can buy is hockey, and after buying 2k9 I still have a sour taste in my mouth.

I think I decent price point would sway me to pick up both titles this year, but like the others have said, I haven't heard diddly squat about next years game.

What good is a solid online mode if the gameplay blows?

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Other Hockey Games > NHL 2K »