Home

Does Open/Even/Closed stance matter?...

This is a discussion on Does Open/Even/Closed stance matter?... within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 05-15-2009, 08:07 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 4
Does Open/Even/Closed stance matter?...

My brother and I got this game - he played it on the RTTS and was a lefty with an open stance.

I did a RTTS and was a rightie with an even stance.

In Spring Training, with the same stats, my brother hit 4 home runs - two in one game and one in two of three - and this is all within the first 6 games.

I load up and manage... jack squat. Can't hit a deep ball to save my life.

Can you only be a real power threat if you have an open stance? He was drafted by the Pirates and a RF, I was drafted by the Padres and was a CF.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-15-2009, 01:16 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 6
Re: Does Open/Even/Closed stance matter?...

I don't know if stance matters, but you play different positions so this is a terrible example. CF on this game start out as speedy guys with higher points in fielding and contact, while corner outfielders are power hitters that are slower with lower fielding abilities but have higher hitting numbers. If you truly want to compare stances, then you need to make as many things constant as you can if you want to test a certain variable. Don't they teach the scientific method in school anymore?
Old 05-15-2009, 01:44 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cienfuegos
I don't know if stance matters, but you play different positions so this is a terrible example. CF on this game start out as speedy guys with higher points in fielding and contact, while corner outfielders are power hitters that are slower with lower fielding abilities but have higher hitting numbers. If you truly want to compare stances, then you need to make as many things constant as you can if you want to test a certain variable. Don't they teach the scientific method in school anymore?
Hey, take it easy! He's a Pirates fan. They are still learning about hitting.
Old 05-15-2009, 04:38 PM   #4
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhCanadian
Ouch, I'm not sure which of those were worse. But cienfuegos hit it on the head, you are going to have to make players at the same position to really test it out well. I think it's more personal preference though to try to answer your question without actually testing it. I know that for one reason or another in my "career" of playing baseball video games I have some batting stances I kill with and some stances I can't hit at all with. Just something that changes person to person.

Hope that helps.
Old 05-15-2009, 05:32 PM   #5
Banned

I agree with this. The farthest back I can remember at the moment where stances were an issue for me was Triple Play. I remember I could kill with Piazza's stance. Or maybe it was just Piazza. I recently changed Ryan Sweeney's stance and I hit better with him. This is all from the player's perspective though. Certain stances have shorter or longer swings, but I highly doubt one stance would give someone more power than another one. Again, in order to test this, one would have to set up as many control conditions as possible. Same player, same stadium, same pitcher/pitches, same weather, etc. If I truly wanted to know, I would set up an exhibition game in a dome and try different stances.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-15-2009, 06:07 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhCanadian
Of course flyer fans know all about hitting.

Never noticed any difference in stances, I think its just for looks.
Old 05-16-2009, 08:23 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 4

My apologies, oh omnipotent ones. I didn't know certain positions were predisposed for certain types of hitters.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »