Home

Question about minor leaugers

This is a discussion on Question about minor leaugers within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 05-13-2009, 04:49 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 5
Question about minor leaugers

after my minor league seasons ended, about 12 minor leaugers got placed on my mlb team. all of my roster options are on manual, and i dont really want them to be called up. but does this just happen automaticaly?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-13-2009, 04:53 PM   #2
Rookie

firktaf's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: Question about minor leaugers

It's your 40 man rosters. All MLB teams call up the remaining 15 players from their 40 man rosters once they're available in September. So, that's supposed to happen.

NFL:
Jacksonville Jaguars
MLB:
St. Louis Cardinals
NBA:
Orlando Magic
NCAA: UCF Knights
Old 05-13-2009, 05:38 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 6

Along those lines, during the offseason will you lose an option if you take someone off your 40 man roster? I am thinking about the rule 5 draft here. Right before it you have to make sure you have the guys that you don't want picked up, say that A prospect you just drafted, but don't want him in AAA yet.
Old 05-13-2009, 07:03 PM   #4
Rookie

firktaf's Arena

OVR: 7

I'm not 100% sure of this but I don't think you use an option when taking someone off of the 40 man roster. I think that only happens when you take them off of the 25 man MLB roster. So, you should be able to put the A prospect on the 40 man roster before the Rule 5 draft and then take him off afterward. Definitely save before you do it though just in case I'm incorrect on that.

NFL:
Jacksonville Jaguars
MLB:
St. Louis Cardinals
NBA:
Orlando Magic
NCAA: UCF Knights
Old 05-14-2009, 12:13 AM   #5
Rookie

fisher's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by firktaf
I'm not 100% sure of this but I don't think you use an option when taking someone off of the 40 man roster. I think that only happens when you take them off of the 25 man MLB roster. So, you should be able to put the A prospect on the 40 man roster before the Rule 5 draft and then take him off afterward. Definitely save before you do it though just in case I'm incorrect on that.
Actually that's not a good idea. If you take a player off your 40 man roster, they're automatically exposed to the other 29 teams through irrevocable waivers (if it's an A level prospect, somebody will snatch him up). The whole point of the Rule 5 draft is to get major league ready minor leaguers in the majors if their club doesn't put them on their 40 man roster in 4 or 5 years. Not all minor leaguers are Rule 5 elligible (that's one issue with this game in that they give no indication of which minor leaguers on your rosters can be picked up in the Rule 5 draft (really hope SCEA fixes this next year)).

As per clenfuego's concern, don't bother putting your just drafted A prospect on the 40 man roster if you think he's not ready. You have at the least 4 years to put him on your 40 man roster before the guy becomes elligible in Rule 5.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-15-2009, 01:38 PM   #6
Banned

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisher
Actually that's not a good idea. If you take a player off your 40 man roster, they're automatically exposed to the other 29 teams through irrevocable waivers (if it's an A level prospect, somebody will snatch him up). The whole point of the Rule 5 draft is to get major league ready minor leaguers in the majors if their club doesn't put them on their 40 man roster in 4 or 5 years. Not all minor leaguers are Rule 5 elligible (that's one issue with this game in that they give no indication of which minor leaguers on your rosters can be picked up in the Rule 5 draft (really hope SCEA fixes this next year)).

As per clenfuego's concern, don't bother putting your just drafted A prospect on the 40 man roster if you think he's not ready. You have at the least 4 years to put him on your 40 man roster before the guy becomes elligible in Rule 5.
I simmed through to the off season just for S&G and got to the rule 5 draft. I was able to pick up an A level prospect that was drafted in the first round of 2009. The other team didn't bother putting him on their 40 man, so I snatched him up. So I think that if you do draft a player that is both A potential and has high overall and attribute levels, you might want to consider it, even if he is playing in AA. Although, say if I do pick a player off rule 5, the rules are that he must stay on my MLB team the whole season or he goes back right? So does this game follow that rule?
Old 05-15-2009, 02:20 PM   #7
Banned

livnlegn's Arena

OVR: 5

It follows the rule to a certain extent. I'm pretty sure that you just can't send him down or release him. In other words, the other team will never get him back and you can't let him go.
I don't know if you can trade him or not.
As far as the other question, when you remove a player from your 40-man roster you are designating him for assignment. Since there is no official DFA roster spots, he is optioned to AAA if he is not claimed off waivers by another team. So, once you remove him from 40 man, he either goes to AAA or disappears from your roster and onto another team (where I think they have to automatically add him to their 40-man).
The best way to go about managing the 40 man is build your MLB roster first (25 man) and then go through and protect 15 players you want around by adding them to the 40 man. The lower their ratings, the less likelihood that they will be drafted in the Rule 5.

Oh, but yes, obviously if he isn't on your MLB team you do not use an option. The only time you do is when you DFA and send him down to AAA by removing him from 25-man and 40-man simultaneously.

Last edited by livnlegn; 05-15-2009 at 02:23 PM.
Old 05-15-2009, 02:30 PM   #8
MVP

OVR: 26

It's really not supposed to happen all members of your 40 man roster should be called up in September. Being on the 40 man means they're eligible to be called up in September; most teams in real life don't call up everyone on the 40 man roster in September. The game should let you choose who you want to call up in September.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »