Home

How does this guy hit the mound with no confidence?

This is a discussion on How does this guy hit the mound with no confidence? within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 04-28-2009, 11:44 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 5
How does this guy hit the mound with no confidence?

So, we've talked off an on about pitcher's confidence possibly (probably) being overdone. Well here's another example that sticks out as a little bizarre.

I bring in Heilman (Cubs middle relief) into a game in to start the 7th inning. Obviously, no base runners. The dude has an ERA of 2.19 and opponents are hitting about .235 against him. Yet he hits the mound with so little confidence he doesn't have the release point/line on the pitching meter. A few weeks back, I had Zambrano take to the mound...same thing...no confidence on his 1st pitch of the game. This from a guy who had an ERA in the low 3.00's. Whereas Marshall, who had an ERA in the 5.00's for me never hit the mound that I recall with no confidence.

Curious how confidence sometimes manifests in this game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-28-2009, 11:52 PM   #2
MVP

Azamien's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: How does this guy hit the mound with no confidence?

How did he pitch in his previous appearance? Confidence is a short-term thing, and carries over from one appearance to the next. A guy can have great season numbers, but if he got shelled in his last appearance he'll have low confidence.

It also seems like some guys regain confidence faster than others, but if that is the case, I don't know what attribute causes it.
Old 04-29-2009, 12:31 AM   #3
*ll St*r

Knight165's Arena

OVR: 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWilly
So, we've talked off an on about pitcher's confidence possibly (probably) being overdone. Well here's another example that sticks out as a little bizarre.

I bring in Heilman (Cubs middle relief) into a game in to start the 7th inning. Obviously, no base runners. The dude has an ERA of 2.19 and opponents are hitting about .235 against him. Yet he hits the mound with so little confidence he doesn't have the release point/line on the pitching meter. A few weeks back, I had Zambrano take to the mound...same thing...no confidence on his 1st pitch of the game. This from a guy who had an ERA in the low 3.00's. Whereas Marshall, who had an ERA in the 5.00's for me never hit the mound that I recall with no confidence.

Curious how confidence sometimes manifests in this game.

Hey BW...
Take if from a N.Y.'er....it's AARON HEILMANN....he has no confidence.
(c'mon...you knew it was comin')

M.K.
Knight165
Old 04-29-2009, 12:30 PM   #4
Rookie

koebsual's Arena

OVR: 4

I think maybe there should be a composure/poise type attribute maybe for big time players ala-reggie jackson-jeter-kirk gibson etc....I find it very unrealistic when MO(Rivera) gets rattled after one hit or even a hr! He is never/rarely shook up over a hit/hr. His bar should be full yellow every time he enters! And it should take a couple walk off hrs in a row during a season to get to him in the slightest! All in all I like the confidence affecting every normal player, but the greats almost never get effected atleast they don't show it. Guy's like Papplebon/Rivera those guys come back night after night and still effective even after some horrible(to them) outings in a row. No biggie but the Mariano bar disapearing bothers me the most I guess, seems laughable that he would be so shook up after giving up a 2 out hit in the ninth leading by 2 runs?
Old 04-29-2009, 12:43 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 20

I have this happen several times in my season. I've also seen the opposite where my guy comes to the mound with the extra confidence. I think a lot of it has to do with the previous outing.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-29-2009, 12:44 PM   #6
MVP

deucepoppi17's Arena

OVR: 11

Can u see a pitchers confidence before u put him in the game?
Old 04-29-2009, 01:09 PM   #7
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

its a combination of how their season's going plus their previous outings. I've had guys come in with no confidence and guys come in with extreme confidence. Nice touch in my opinion.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 04-29-2009, 01:26 PM   #8
Game Designer

tabarnes19_SDS's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
its a combination of how their season's going plus their previous outings. I've had guys come in with no confidence and guys come in with extreme confidence. Nice touch in my opinion.
When I first started playing this series after being a long time HH'er I didn't know what to think of this feature esp. with so many people not liking it. What I found is it is a great feature....could not imagine not playing with it on!

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »