Home

Dean Chelios: Like Father, Like Son (NHL 09 BAP)

This is a discussion on Dean Chelios: Like Father, Like Son (NHL 09 BAP) within the Dynasty HQ forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Dynasty HQ
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 04-15-2009, 09:37 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
Dean Chelios: Like Father, Like Son (NHL 09 BAP)

okay guys before i post this i will say i am new to your forum and hello and i hope i do this right it's my first dynasty. bonjour mes amis

DEAN CHELIOS:
Like Father, Like Son
Chris Chelios. The name brings quite a bit to mind, doesn't it? Leader. Patriot. Grandfather. But however you think of Chelios, it is hard not to imagine him as a Stanley Cup Champion. He's been successful wherever he's been (or whatever age he's been), whether it was Montreal, Chicago, or Detroit. But for one man, it seemed as if the shadow of his father would loom over him for the rest of his hockey career. That man was Dean Chelios.

The Road to Detroit
Dean had been an average hockey player for much of his junior hockey career. He rose through the ranks through endless hours on the ice and in the weight room; he was determined to succeed in hockey as his father had done. He earned his first trial with the Plymouth Whalers of the OHL largely because of his father's name, and not his- you see, the coaching staff wasn't struck by his finesse game and saw him as a diminutive player (being only 5'6 at the time), but everyone on the club could see the determination in his heart. He would develop into a speedy center and a faceoff expert, and before long he was playing defense against the top players from opposing teams.
"I remembered the first time I played against John Tavares, I was amazed at his skill. He was a pretty quick guy," recalls Chelios, "but I was faster, and I began to realize that I could do things at speeds other guys couldn't. I was becoming more of a dangler as I learned from these skill players, as I played against them. My mental game was rising to another level, I began to see plays happening. My game took off my third season in Plymouth."
Indeed it did. After two average seasons for the Whalers, Chelios emerged as one of the OHL's top finishers, scoring 27 goals and 13 assists in 50 games. He seemed to have a newfounded scoring touch, and it would continue into the 2006-07OHL season. Chelios posted another solid season of 25 goals and 28 assists in 54 games, while also leading the league in the plus minus department. His statistics pointed to a 3rd or 4th round draft pick, but he hadn't grown much since Plymouth took him on; he was still only 5'9, and he wasn't exactly stocky. With his aging father as his agent, it didn't look like Dean had a rat's chance of making a national hockey league roster; his body simply wouldn't be able to stand the physical play. He certainely adn't caught the Red Wings' eyes.
"I remember when he skate with team in practice," said Wings star Pavel Datsyuk,"he think he quick. I check him, he not get up."
Datsyuk's colourful testimonial spoke volumes of Chelios's style. He relied on his speed and shifty moves to evade checks.But if he was up against even smarter players in the NHL, how would he be able to score goals, let alone stop them? He would have to bulk up before attracting any NHL clubs to his front door.
In the end, Chelios decided to head to Finland for a year to play for Helsinki Jokerit. He found instant chemistry with future Red Wing Ville Leino, and piled up 30 goals in only 23 games. When Leino signed with Detroit over the summer, he recommended Chelios; in fact, he was surprised they hadn't signed him already. He also grew 2 inches over the summer and for Ken Holland and the Red Wings brass, this would suffice.
On July 23rd, 2008, the Grand Rapids Griffins took Chelios onto an entry level contract; 1 year, $100,000.

---
more tommorow about Dean's first season in Grand Rapids and his rise to top flight hockey in Detroit
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-15-2009, 09:47 PM   #2
Pro

SabresKings3623's Arena

OVR: 15
Re: Dean Chelios: Like Father, Like Son (NHL 09 BAP)

Great update! Welcome to OS, I'll definetley be following this, it's already very interesting. Be sure to check out other hockey dynasties for ideas on update styles and such.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:54 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 4

nice story, good job setting the scene. One thing I suggest is double spacing between each paragraph. keep it up!
Old 04-15-2009, 10:08 PM   #4
Banned

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresKings3623
Great update! Welcome to OS, I'll definetley be following this, it's already very interesting. Be sure to check out other hockey dynasties for ideas on update styles and such.
THATS MY LINE lol Nice BAP and can't wait for more.
Old 04-16-2009, 06:49 AM   #5
MVP

derrickthomas58's Arena

OVR: 22

Oh hell yeah! Nice story! I'll be following for sure. Too bad Chris Chelios always retires after season 1, they could have played together. Of course, they still could if you get called up!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-16-2009, 04:17 PM   #6
Banned

OVR: 31

lmfao very creative idea, i like it!! I'm still quietly loling at the idea of using chris chelios' "son". Very smart.

Can't wait to start seeing your games and other updates. and yeah, like star king and others, welcome to OS!
Old 04-16-2009, 04:27 PM   #7
MVP

GoldenJet's Arena

OVR: 35

Good job man, I'm excited for more from the son of the Ageless wonder.

1000 posts achieved on December 21st,2008 at 2:26 p.m in the "birth of the Mighty Blazers" thread.
Old 04-17-2009, 09:45 PM   #8
Banned

OVR: 44

yeah yeah this is awesome!

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Dynasty HQ »