Home

Can anyone convince me this game is worth $400?

This is a discussion on Can anyone convince me this game is worth $400? within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 04-14-2009, 11:06 AM   #1
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 34
Can anyone convince me this game is worth $400?

I'd basically have to buy a PS3 just to play this game. I actually don't have a problem with that as long as I'd get a ton of playing time out of it.

So here's the major questions I have:

1. Are you getting realistic stats in all the categories?
2. Do some pitchers just have a problem finding the strike zone? Meaning can you walk batters when trying to throw strikes? Multiple Walks per game?
3. Do Home Runs and deep flies come natural or do you have to intentionally "Power Swing"?
4. Anything bugs or glitches that would break the game and cause it not to be a great sim.
5. What options do you have when simming games, can you "quick" manage the games with options like hit & run, steal, etc?

Really on the fence here. Like I said, $400 isn't a real big deal if I'll get some serious playing time out of this game. I'll glady pay a couple $ per hour for some great gaming.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-14-2009, 11:14 AM   #2
Goon Squad

ProStylez's Arena

OVR: 15
Re: Can anyone convince me this game is worth $400?

When the developers of Madden actually come on these boards only to praise the game makers of MLB THE SHOW 09 you know you have a must get game!
$400?
That would be your call not ours, if you have the money buy it but if you don't then nobody here can convince you to do anything.
If you played 08 and liked it you will love 09, it's as simple as that.
Old 04-14-2009, 11:18 AM   #3
All Star

nyisles16's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by fistofrage
I'd basically have to buy a PS3 just to play this game. I actually don't have a problem with that as long as I'd get a ton of playing time out of it.

2. Do some pitchers just have a problem finding the strike zone? Meaning can you walk batters when trying to throw strikes? Multiple Walks per game?
3. Do Home Runs and deep flies come natural or do you have to intentionally "Power Swing"?
4. Anything bugs or glitches that would break the game and cause it not to be a great sim.
5. What options do you have when simming games, can you "quick" manage the games with options like hit & run, steal, etc?

Really on the fence here. Like I said, $400 isn't a real big deal if I'll get some serious playing time out of this game. I'll glady pay a couple $ per hour for some great gaming.

Fist --

1) I can't state about a full season of stats, but at least on an "on-game" basis, stats seem to be right around the "realistic" area

2) Yes, some pitchers have "zone issues" -- try using Oliver Perez -- his pitches go all over the place

3) HR's can be hit on regular swing

4) Take a look at the bugs/glitches sticky... SCEA is to release a patch to fix some issues

5) You can advance by inning, to the end of the game --- sorry, havent tried any MoM to find that other stuff out for you

As I enjoy both titles this year, just hope some of these answers help you out. Good luck in your decision.
Old 04-14-2009, 11:20 AM   #4
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProStylez
When the developers of Madden actually come on these boards only to praise the game makers of MLB THE SHOW 09 you know you have a must get game!
$400?
That would be your call not ours, if you have the money buy it but if you don't then nobody here can convince you to do anything.
If you played 08 and liked it you will love 09, it's as simple as that.
I have never played the Show because I don't own a PS3. But the other game on the market just isn't getting it done. I know this game is getting rave reviews, but I really need to get answers to the questions that I listed below. Most importantly the walk question, power hitting question, sim stats, and "quick" managing possibilities.

One other thing, can you only control 1 team in franchise mode?
Old 04-14-2009, 11:22 AM   #5
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyisles16
Fist --

1) I can't state about a full season of stats, but at least on an "on-game" basis, stats seem to be right around the "realistic" area

2) Yes, some pitchers have "zone issues" -- try using Oliver Perez -- his pitches go all over the place

3) HR's can be hit on regular swing

4) Take a look at the bugs/glitches sticky... SCEA is to release a patch to fix some issues

5) You can advance by inning, to the end of the game --- sorry, havent tried any MoM to find that other stuff out for you

As I enjoy both titles this year, just hope some of these answers help you out. Good luck in your decision.
Thanks for the response. I'll check out the other threads too.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-14-2009, 11:26 AM   #6
All Star

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by fistofrage

1. I am getting very realistic stats on average. However some that use the LS to hit are saying the doubles are a little low and homeruns are a little high. Not insanely so but little off.

2. This is other topic you'll find threads on. I really think it as more to do with the level you play on. Sure you'll miss the plate when trying to throw strikes from time to time but really you'll throw the walks when your being to fine. IE because your scared of the hitter.

3) You can hit plenty and a realistic amount with just the contact button.

4) They are working on a patch to address some issues. Nothing really glaring outside the RTTS issue in my opinion. RTTS is their single player career mode.

5) I don't know this, sorry.

I wouldn't drop $400, really $500 with tax and game for any one game. However, as someone with both systems. You'll start to find other reasons to have the ps3. Blu ray ,other sony exclusive games, etc and this really is a great baseball game.

I still play the 360 more but i don't regret buying the ps3 at all. You can often get deals on the sony site if you sign up for their CC btw the way.
Old 04-14-2009, 11:48 AM   #7
Banned

bigjake62505's Arena

OVR: 22

I just sold my 360 to buy a ps3 and the show. I got my 80 gig ps3 for 265 on ebay. I just got it yesterday and I love it. If you go this route make sure it has some kind of guarantee and its from a creditable seller. I played the show last night untill 3:47 am exactly and I had to be at work at 6:30 this morn. One of the best games I have ever seen, played, or heard. Every aspect of this game is great. So if you are wanting to play this game bad try the ebay route. I was so impatient to get this game I just had to buy it now and luckly I bought from a respectable seller with a guarantee and I am loving it.
Old 04-14-2009, 11:51 AM   #8
Hall Of Fame

areobee401's Arena

OVR: 24

Fist I Can tell you since I know your a franchise guy that this game might just have deepest one on the market today.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »