Home

Running a pick-and-roll properly

This is a discussion on Running a pick-and-roll properly within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 04-12-2009, 08:05 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
Running a pick-and-roll properly

This has been an issue that's been bugging me ever since the game was released, especially now that I've resumed playing. I'm a big pick-and-roll user and for about the first time ever, I've played a game where they've gotten the pick-and-roll right. It seems pretty even too, as a lot requires getting into position.

Unfortunately, it's only "right" when the screen setter actually cuts to the basket afterwards. That second part never happens on a Quick Pick-And-Roll (i.e. from using Dual Player Control and Set Screen) and only works when I run it out of a playbook play such as PG-PF Pick and Roll, which obviously not all teams have.

I can get the first part, the setting of the screen fine but the screen-setter just hangs back in the middle of nowhere afterwards: he doesn't drop back or cut to the basket as would be the usual case.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-12-2009, 06:18 PM   #2
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

OVR: 49
Re: Running a pick-and-roll properly

Every team has pick n roll as a default quick play. You don't have to use dual player. Actually dual player control don't have pick n roll anyway.

It just have set screen. Which is what you are doing. On set screen, the player JUST sets a screen. It is not meant for them to set a screen and then cut to the basket. That isn't the design of the set screen play.
Old 04-12-2009, 09:20 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 3

from the dual player control u can tap the B button to set a slip screen. the player setting pick will cut early to the basket instead of getting caught up with defenders. u can also do the pick and pop, and a normal screen to get ballhandler an open jumpshot. its all in the tutorial so go check it out.
Old 04-13-2009, 05:59 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 2

Thanks for the responses.

The thing is that I'm using a custom roster with setting/slider set giving each team their own playbook, meaning no team has the quick pick-and-roll. Does that mean I should just cut one play from each team playbook and replace it with the pick-and-roll?
Old 04-13-2009, 06:11 AM   #5
All Star

DakkoN's Arena

OVR: 37

Every playbook should at least have Quick Isolation to me. Just run pick and rolls with B button. Can do a pick and slip, a pick and roll, or pick and pop, all with the B button.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-13-2009, 08:39 AM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 5

It also depends on your personnel, someone with not so much Offensive Awareness wont cut to the basket as quick or at all. I first started running the pick and roll with the wizards. Arenas and Jaimeson are great at this, you have to time it right becuase as the PG if you just stand in one spot the defense will collapse and create a jump ball. I usually use the quick play call buttons to call for the pick and roll, I use my iso moves to either run and make a passing lane for Jaimeson or draw the double team and pass to the open Jaimeson for the quick mid-range shot, or if Gilbert is in the zone or my team needs a boost I'll try to spile the double team and go to the basket, or create the mis-match with the big-man guarding the PG and take him on the one on one match up.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »