Home

Recognizing pitches and batter tips

This is a discussion on Recognizing pitches and batter tips within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 04-08-2009, 11:22 PM   #1
MVP

funky_chicken's Arena

OVR: 37
Recognizing pitches and batter tips

Is anyone else having trouble recognizing pitches? I can rarely tell what pitch is coming. If I am not guessing fastball then I am late on the pitch. If I guess fastball and get a breaking ball I am way early. Any tips, pointers or suggestions on how to recognize pitches and hit more consistently would be greatly appreciated.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-09-2009, 12:58 AM   #2
MVP

OVR: 19
Re: Recognizing pitches and batter tips

thats the biggest issue I have with this game. recognizing pitches.

IMO, Thats what makes the Show a better game. Thats why THE SHOW has realistic pitch counts.

If we could recognize pitches, the AI pitch count would be higher (more balls) , and the batter/pitcher battles would be more immersive

all i do now is swing 90% of the time, and make contact about 25% of the time.

resulting in a .217 batting average.
Old 04-09-2009, 03:29 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 2

I can recognize pitches easily. Just start with a low pitch speed and when you get comfortable make it higher. I've become a lot more patient and working up to realistic pitch counts. Don't start at default legend from the get go. Work your way up and it will come to you.
Old 04-09-2009, 03:38 AM   #4
Banned

OVR: 28

i play online, so i have a delay in the game. I can do a fairly decent job at it, sometimes though, i am just boneheaded and will swing, but i can recognize most of them. ITs really hard though when a guy has a 97 mph fast ball and a 70mph curveball. That throws me off for a bit, but after a while i was adjust.

It just takes practice.
Old 04-09-2009, 04:34 AM   #5
MVP

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilbostank
I can recognize pitches easily. Just start with a low pitch speed and when you get comfortable make it higher. I've become a lot more patient and working up to realistic pitch counts. Don't start at default legend from the get go. Work your way up and it will come to you.
where is the pitch speed for the AI located. I cant seem to find it.

2 more questions-
1. where can I find my players fatigue levels?
2. does regular play influence pitch count, as opposed to quick play?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-09-2009, 10:16 AM   #6
Banned

OVR: 6

I don't have a problem laying off of pitches. Most of the CPU pitchers average around 90 pitches a game. Not bad.

I have a problem with where my ball goes. It is either a highlight reel diving catch (happens all the time. ESPN would have all of my opponent's catches on their plays of the day. ), pop fly or ground out. Very rarely do I get a hit. I don't think I should put it down to pro because then I get like 15 hits a game. Never a happy medium with me.

Soon I will try out The Show. Hopefully they are better.
Old 04-09-2009, 10:02 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 1

Just lower the pitch speed until you find a suitable setting. Eventually you'll be able to recognize the spin on the ball out of the pitcher's hand which will help with your timing. Also know your strike zone. Some batters have a huge strike zone while others have very small zones. What I do is try and associate the top of the zone with a line in the backdrop behind the pitcher (tops of walls, trees, etc.) and the bottom with something on the mound. That way I have a general idea of what to lay off of. As for inside and outside, I've noticed that the outside edge of the strike zone extends further than I initially expected on right handed batters and not as far as I expected on lefties. So balls that look borderline outside to righties are strikes and balls that look borderline outside to lefties are balls. One thing that helped me was just starting a quick game and not swinging at a single pitch the whole game. It helped me with recognizing pitches as well as getting to know the strike zone.
Old 04-09-2009, 11:07 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 4

It doesn't help when the ump has a strike zone bigger than you can swing!

AI pitchers are plinking the corners on me all day long - making me angry...

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »