Home

Batting Practice Frustration

This is a discussion on Batting Practice Frustration within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 04-02-2009, 11:33 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
Batting Practice Frustration

Why the hell can the pitcher not throw pitches in the strikezone. It's BATTING PRACTICE for cryin' out loud! Anyone else experiencing this?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-02-2009, 11:38 AM   #2
Pro

masterkembo's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: Batting Practice Frustration

Yeah but it doesn't really bother me. The batting practice sessions have helped me A LOT with taking pitches - when I get into a game situation, especially with runners on, I tend to get a little too 'aggresive' and swing at every pitch.

So anyway, I like that the guy doesn't throw strikes sometimes...
Old 04-02-2009, 11:43 AM   #3
Pro

OVR: 12

it helps you get points for discipline
Old 04-02-2009, 11:52 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 4

Patience. Learn to have it. In a game, where batting practice pays off, every pitch isn't going to be served on a silver platter.

The other sports are just sports. Baseball is a love. ~Bryant Gumbel, 1981
Old 04-02-2009, 11:59 AM   #5
MVP

PhantomPain's Arena

OVR: 16

I like it the way it is, but I do think a couple of options could be added...at least in the seperate mode (not the RTTS mode):

Be able to set pitcher to pitch strikes only (meaning it can be anywhere in the strike zone)

Be bale to set pitcher to "groove" pitches (meaning it will be a perfect, fat pitch every time)

This way you can emulate a "Home Run Derby" with the "groove" setting. And for "Strikes Only" can be good on just learning how to hit good pitches. Being able to move the left stick properly and such.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-02-2009, 12:36 PM   #6
Rookie

Batting practice isn't for learning plate discipline--it's for getting your swing down. It's very hard to do that when the pitcher thows a lot of junk. However, I do see how Batting Practice (the mode in the game) could be helpful to some as more of a batting simulation/practice for The Show as opposed to a more sim-like batting practice. Does that make sense?

As posted above, an all strikes option would solve this, and I would think that would be an easy solution.
Old 04-02-2009, 12:38 PM   #7
Rookie

I will say that I feel like this is most important to people playing the game for the first time to get the hang of things. Now that I've played a lot and gotten better, it doesn't bother me as much, but it sure would be nice to have that all strikes option.
Old 04-02-2009, 01:53 PM   #8
Rookie

This is one of my biggest frustrations. I hate batting practice. It's not that I'm not into learning patience, etc but I don't believe this is handled very well. What's the point of taking bp from a guy that throws 5 pitches in & out of the zone? If you want to give me practice learning how to hit the curveball then give me a guy that throws cureballs I can hit and focus on recognizing them. Or give me practice timing fastballs on the outside to push the other way. That's practice.

On the other hand, I don't think it should be just a homer fest that racks up points. So maybe reduce the amount of points you get but at least make it a mode where you can work on a specific area. Maybe use your hot/cold zones and tendencies and have the bp pitcher focus on your weak points?

I don't know, but this mode in RTTS is very frustrating.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »