Home

so I played my first game with CPU comeback set to ON

This is a discussion on so I played my first game with CPU comeback set to ON within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare
Closed Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 10:08 AM   #1
MVP

OVR: 16
so I played my first game with CPU comeback set to ON

Wow let me tell you. Completley different game. 1st off I have played about 100 games or so since release all with comeback set to off by default of course. Yes I have a lot of time on my hands and I have never thrown a complete game. I have never won by more then 4 runs. I have never hit more then 16 hits. Every game I played was exciting. I would always be on the edge of my seat. Honestly, EVERY single game. All of this happened in the first game that I played with CPU comeback set to on. Completley different game. Here's a recap.

First off I was the Red Sox @ Baltimore. Beckett vs Guthrie. Legend difficulty. Sliders -5 (0) for user/cpu power and -4 (1) for user/cpu solid hits. I go down 2-0 in the 1st inning. I then come back with 2 to tie it at 2 in the 2nd. The 3rd inning I get 4, the 4th I get 2 and the 5th I get 3. I'm now up 11-2 going into the bottom of the 5th. I am not even pitching that great with Beckett. I had such a big lead I wasn't even that focused but I kept getting guys out. A lot of ground outs. It's definetley not the sliders because I have played plenty of games with cpu sliders down because I got too many hits from the beginning so I set them down for both the user/cpu.

Anyways bottom line is this game played so much different and it did the opposite that it would do with comeback set to off. I ended up winning 12-4. Here's the box score.

......1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 R H E
BOS 0 2 4 2 3 0 0 1 0 12 19 0
BAL .2 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 4 8 4

Win Josh Beckett
Loss Jeremy Guthrie

All I have to say is something is weird. I know it's only 1 game but I have never won a game by 8 runs on Legend in over 100 games played until I turned CPU comeback ai ON. It was so easy too. I felt like I could coast on the mound with the lead. It's almost like the big lead was affecting the O's all around. I have also never seen so many errors. Like I said I think it got to the O's head how they were getting killed and they were just doing bad at the plate and everything. It was crazy. They made 4 errors. I have never had the CPU make 4 errors in one game. I actually stopped trying in the 6th inning. I had 12 hits at the time. Everything was just coasting.

This is not how I want it to be every game. I want a challenge. But this was realistic. When I knocked Guthrie out of the game in the 4th inning with a 8-2 lead and Beckett on the mound I should feel pretty comfortable on the mound. I should be coasting with that big of a lead with Beckett on the hill. This is something I have yet to experience until I turned on CPU comeback. This is just one game and anything is possible at any time but I will play more. I suggest you guys to try the same if you are having problems with the games feeling too scripted where the CPU comes back on you and you can't hold a big lead no matter what.

Last edited by davewins; 03-20-2009 at 10:38 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-20-2009, 10:15 AM   #2
Banned

OVR: 26
Re: so I played my first game with CPU comeback set to ON

Somebody actually mentioned that they had a feeling that the comeback option was broken and "reversed", lol...I was too scared to try it.

But either way, one game is pretty baseless. I might try it out later today when I play. Meanwhile, play a couple more games and post the results.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:18 AM   #3
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbz06
Somebody actually mentioned that they had a feeling that the comeback option was broken and "reversed", lol...I was too scared to try it.

But either way, one game is pretty baseless. I might try it out later today when I play. Meanwhile, play a couple more games and post the results.
I know it is baseless but honestly it's weird. I played over 100 games like I said and NEVER threw a complete game. NEVER won by more then 4 runs (I won by 8 and was up by 10 most of the game). I held the big lead the entire game.

Baa7 mentioned it and I really thought that it could be a possibility. I thought that SCEA could be completley unaware of it just like other option settings were bugged in the past.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:25 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 7

well lets just say im gonna keep come back off..goddamn computer always trys to come back, but ive gotten better at pitching in the late innings..but i pitched carelessy one inning and i was up 5 - 0 i lost 13 - 6...10 runs in one inning...when computer goes on its "comeback" it does not stop lol so im not turning that comeback crap on lol
Old 03-20-2009, 10:37 AM   #5
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyd0
well lets just say im gonna keep come back off..goddamn computer always trys to come back, but ive gotten better at pitching in the late innings..but i pitched carelessy one inning and i was up 5 - 0 i lost 13 - 6...10 runs in one inning...when computer goes on its "comeback" it does not stop lol so im not turning that comeback crap on lol
for 1 game it's worth it to try. Reason why I tried is because I think the only way that there is "comeback" code in this game would be the possibility of the OPTION GETTING REVERSED. So basically when it's set to on it's actually set to off and when it's set off it's actually set on.

I am positively sure that SCEA didn't purposely put "comeback code" in this game. The only way it got in was by accident, a flaw in the option where it's always on and/or it's actually on when it's set to off and off when it's set to on.

It seems a little strange to me that a lot of people have been seeing this this year when they first put in an option for comeback and nobody has seen this in the previous years when coincidentally there was no option for this.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-20-2009, 10:41 AM   #6
MVP

OVR: 17

yep and the fact that the option for catch region indicator was reversed and didnt work correctly last year, means that its a possibility. I know its one game Dave, but what you described is totally opposite of what the developers mentioned about how the CPU comeback works.

Very strange that you were able to win like that and the CPU didnt make a game of it.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:41 AM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 7

i like how the game is going now (without comeback on)..the computers comebacks are more but at a lesser rate of scoring lol..maybe a run here and 2 runs there but i can control it or limit the damage, and bridge it to rivera to seal the deal...and with u saying that the option might be broke, i might agree..it makes sense.

Last edited by boyd0; 03-20-2009 at 10:44 AM.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:45 AM   #8
Banned

OVR: 38

Will try later but with it off on any level theres like a mirror effect I score they score ? Our we all crazy we know when the cpu is coming and theres nothing we can do
? when will SCEA fix / tone down this comeback stuff in a patch ?
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »