Home

Official 2009 Coaching Carousel Thread

This is a discussion on Official 2009 Coaching Carousel Thread within the College Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > College Basketball
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 03-16-2009, 03:53 PM   #1
Five Becomes Four

Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45
Official 2009 Coaching Carousel Thread

Because inevitably select coaches around the nation will either move on to greener pastures or be removed from their current positions, I'm starting this thread.

Rumor going around, from both TheSabre.com and from hearsay through my brother who has a friend who is close with 2009 UVa commitment Tristan Spurlock (how's that for roundabout?), is that either Virginia has fired head basketball coach Dave Leitao, or that he has resigned. After this season for the Wahoos, despite the low expectations coming into this year, I can't say I'm surprised with either result.

The same rumor lists potential replacement candidates as Tubby Smith of Minnesota, Anthony Grant of VCU, and Jeff Capel of Oklahoma. Out of those, I'd guess that Grant is the most likely, as I don't understand why Smith or Capel would leave Minnesota or Oklahoma, respectively. That said, this is not the first time that Tubby Smith's name has been associated with the Cavaliers' head coaching position, as his name came up after we canned Pete Gillen as well; it's still more than likely a pipe dream, though.

At this point though, it's speculation until something official comes out, but I thought I'd throw this out there, and start this thread as well.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-16-2009, 03:56 PM   #2
ehh
Hall Of Fame

ehh's Arena

OVR: 44
Re: Official 2009 Coaching Carousel Thread

Frank Haith is supposedly out at Miami and taking the Alabama job. Pitt and UConn fans should be interested in that news since Durand Scott will now have the option to get out of his LOI and select a new school.

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas." - Warren Buffet
Old 03-16-2009, 03:56 PM   #3
Hall of Fame

JohnDoe8865's Arena

OVR: 59

I think UVA needs a change at HC. Grant would be a good choice, but it would be great to add the name recognition of Smith. Just heard on ESPN, that Leitao HAS resigned. GREAT sources you had there!

NFL - Carolina Panthers
NBA - Charlotte Hornets
MLB - Cincinnati Reds
College Basketball - Wake Forest
NCAA Football - Appalachian State
Old 03-16-2009, 03:57 PM   #4
Hall of Fame

JohnDoe8865's Arena

OVR: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehh
Frank Haith is supposedly out at Miami and taking the Alabama job. Pitt and UConn fans should be interested in that news since Durand Scott will now have the option to get out of his LOI and select a new school.
Wow, Miami was close this year. I wonder who the leading candidates would be to take over?

NFL - Carolina Panthers
NBA - Charlotte Hornets
MLB - Cincinnati Reds
College Basketball - Wake Forest
NCAA Football - Appalachian State
Old 03-16-2009, 04:14 PM   #5
Five Becomes Four

Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDoe8865
I think UVA needs a change at HC. Grant would be a good choice, but it would be great to add the name recognition of Smith. Just heard on ESPN, that Leitao HAS resigned. GREAT sources you had there!
If we indeed got Tubby, I'd be ecstatic. I just don't want to get my hopes up and be let down; I mean Tubby already has a job with a tournament team in a power conference.

I have similar feelings with regard to Capel, though I'm not as familiar with his career body of work.

Having thought about it some more, I'm not sad to see Dave go; having been around the Wahoos' bench for quite a number of games (I'm a student here at UVa and work at the John Paul Jones Arena for men's and women's basketball games), he was INCREDIBLY hard on his players during his tenure here. In fact, the frequency and tenacity of his yelling at and grating of his players had become the butt of jokes amongst the student body here; not that the players didn't deserve criticism, but doing it in such a vocal and public manner probably was not the best course of action for keeping the team morale up.

Also, it seemed at times like Leitao couldn't draw up an inbounds play to save his life.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-16-2009, 04:22 PM   #6
KG
Welcome Back

KG's Arena

OVR: 35

Grant was supposedly rumored to take over for Donovan after their 2nd title which I think was the same year VCU beat Duke in the 1st round.

I don't think Capel leaves unless it's for somebody huge (maybe Duke when Coach K retires?)
Old 03-16-2009, 04:55 PM   #7
Where have I been?

Lintyfresh85's Arena

OVR: 37

I'm hearing Smith.

Hopefully we get a big name... we really do need it.

Member of the Official OS Bills Backers Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobinson97
Hell, I shot my grandmother, cuz she was old.
Old 03-17-2009, 12:56 PM   #8
ehh
Hall Of Fame

ehh's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDoe8865
Wow, Miami was close this year. I wonder who the leading candidates would be to take over?
I worded my post crappily, he would be voluntarily leaving Miami, not getting canned.

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas." - Warren Buffet

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > College Basketball »