Home

Why not incorporate player personalities? Egos, Happiness, Locker Room Morale...

This is a discussion on Why not incorporate player personalities? Egos, Happiness, Locker Room Morale... within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 03-06-2009, 09:17 AM   #1
MVP

OVR: 12
Why not incorporate player personalities? Egos, Happiness, Locker Room Morale...

Whether the NFL wants to admit it or not, guys like T.O. and Chad Ocho Cinco Johnson are PART of the NFL's success.

I think EA should incorporate all the drama the goes along with the NFL, not just boring player statistics and simming.

Why not have "ego" and "happiness" ratings for players?

So when guys like T.O. don't get a pass in their direction during a game, the following week their catching ability declines and they have a greater chance of dropping passes. And they also complain in the newspaper.

Or if Peyton Manning gets sacked too much, you see him yelling at his offensive lineman on the sidelines and then you'll see something in the newspaper in franchise mode where during the week his agent demands a trade or something.

Or a player with a cheap contract who's having multiple Pro Bowl seasons starts complaining about not making enough money and he demands a trade and maybe even refuses to play. Get's fined and everything else.

Or even better - have a "locker room morale" rating, when a couple disgruntled players can bring down an entire team's skill ratings when they are all unhappy and grumbling.

Madden focuses too much on stats and simming - but it completely lacks personality, especially in Franchise Mode. And whether the NFL wants to admit it or not, it IS "in the game".

And I don't just mean slapping the ratings on the player and letting it "sim" the drama... It would be cool to actually SEE the drama during the game, like pouting players... remember T.O. tapping McNabb on the shoulder on the sidelines while stomping around back and forth a couple years ago?

These guys in the NFL are human beings - I know everyone is all geeked up on simming and stats, but you can't ignore personalities, whether they are positive or negative.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-06-2009, 09:43 AM   #2
Banned

OVR: 26
Re: Why not incorporate player personalities? Egos, Happiness, Locker Room Morale...

This is an excellent post, and represents another area of gaming that 2k has that Madden doesn't. I would love to see all this in the gaming, but I bet we're going to get the NFLPA response "The NFL doesn't allow it"
Old 03-06-2009, 10:24 AM   #3
Banned

OVR: 13
Re: Why not incorporate player personalities? Egos, Happiness, Locker Room Morale...

I totally agree with the op.... this would bring some character to franchise mode... it could be taken further too:

Unhappy player

Say T.O isn't happy with only catching 15 catches by week 5, he could kick up a fuss and ask for a trade... this will obviously decrease his trade value so a team might get him for a 4/5th round pick but the new team is also taking on the fact that he could do the same to them as well as his salary.

Team mates dislike eachother

Two players with similar personality types might dislike each other and so you have to pick which one you'd like to keep (this could be based on ability, age, salary, position....).

Draft

Player personality would add an extra dimension to the player analysis... do you draft the 85 wr who is temperamental (and risk his temper tantrums for the rest of his career or till he asks for a trade) or the 81 wr who is a blue collar guy (gonna work hard and probably stay with you his entire career).

Im sure you guys can come up with more ideas....
Old 03-06-2009, 10:55 AM   #4
Banned

OVR: 26

Well they stated earlier that don't want NFL players getting into trouble on video games so I"m sure that extends to having bad attitudes. LOL
Old 03-06-2009, 02:59 PM   #5
Banned

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by FadeEmAll
Well they stated earlier that don't want NFL players getting into trouble on video games so I"m sure that extends to having bad attitudes. LOL
Yeah,..the NFL is not going to allow "T.O. Egos" in video games because they are very image focused.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-06-2009, 05:53 PM   #6
Proctor, MN. Go Rails!

Vikes1's Arena

OVR: 23

I like this idea too.

It would be interesting to have the players have personalities. The more life-like the players can be made, the better.

I know the NFL is pretty sensitive about it's image...but having a player in Madden showing displeasure about playing time ect, I'd think isn't going too far. [of course it doesn't matter what I think.]

Speaking of the newspaper articles...I hope they make their return for '10'. I think they add a nice touch of depth to franchise mode.
Old 03-06-2009, 05:56 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 6

i like it too
Old 03-06-2009, 06:57 PM   #8
All Star

OVR: 33

Its a matter of when, not why not?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »