Home

Just wanna say...

This is a discussion on Just wanna say... within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 03-04-2009, 10:28 AM   #1
MVP

onlybygrace's Arena

OVR: 32
Just wanna say...

...that last night in one inning, I gave up completely on this game.

Its 1-1 in the seventh inning, Carpenter is spinning a gem.

Leadoff man hits an easy fly ball to left field where Manny (yes I traded for him) put his hand up to catch it, but completely misses the ball, enabling the man to reach third as the ball rolled to the wall.

Carpenter fans the next batter.

Then two CONSECUTIVE batters reached on sharply hit ground balls, in which the throws reached the first basemen 10 feet ahead of the runners but Pujols forgot to TOUCH THE BAG.

Loading the bases...

What happened???

Grand Slam...

no...kidding on the salami, but I turned it off. I am just beside myself with this game because I really like some of the things I see, but it just fails so hard in other areas...

Well...honestly...the feilding is the only thing I have an issue with, but its a game breaker.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-04-2009, 10:32 AM   #2
MVP

OVR: 14
Re: Just wanna say...

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlybygrace
...that last night in one inning, I gave up completely on this game.

Its 1-1 in the seventh inning, Carpenter is spinning a gem.

Leadoff man hits an easy fly ball to left field where Manny (yes I traded for him) put his hand up to catch it, but completely misses the ball, enabling the man to reach third as the ball rolled to the wall.

Carpenter fans the next batter.

Then two CONSECUTIVE batters reached on sharply hit ground balls, in which the throws reached the first basemen 10 feet ahead of the runners but Pujols forgot to TOUCH THE BAG.

Loading the bases...

What happened???

Grand Slam...

no...kidding on the salami, but I turned it off. I am just beside myself with this game because I really like some of the things I see, but it just fails so hard in other areas...

Well...honestly...the feilding is the only thing I have an issue with, but its a game breaker.
Frustrating, had a few of those same type situations. It'd be ok every once in a while but man every game it seems like. Stupid crap keeps happening and baseball players are not that clumsy.

Looks like I'll be picking up the Show today and waiting to see what mods are out there for mlb 2k9 PC later.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:33 AM   #3
MVP

OVR: 28

I borrowed a copy and played through six games. I noticed the issue with the first baseman not touching first 17 times. 17 times in six games!!!!

Yeah, that is absolutely inexcusable. People can talk presentation, frame rate and commentary all they want. If the gameplay is so broken routine plays aren't made then there are some serious issues....

It is sad for me to say because I was hopeful. Although I own both systems and The Show (gasp!! yes, I said those two words) I wanted for this game to return to its success of 2K7.

This game definitely needed more development time and pushing the release back to May or June, although there would have been grumblings, may have helped the testers catch these issues...Honestly, I can't believe testers didn't catch the non-outs to first base as they happen so frequently....
Old 03-04-2009, 10:38 AM   #4
MVP

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocobee
Frustrating, had a few of those same type situations. It'd be ok every once in a while but man every game it seems like. Stupid crap keeps happening and baseball players are not that clumsy.

Looks like I'll be picking up the Show today and waiting to see what mods are out there for mlb 2k9 PC later.
There is never a time that is acceptable for a first baseman not to have his foot on the bag. Yes, I can see a bad throw but not when it is a routine throw and the ball beats the runner by a mile.

I say that you take every ground ball in which a throw was made to first base in every major league game played last year, including the post season, I bet that the first baseman NEVER failed to touch the bag when fielding a routine throw with the runner no where close to the bag....

For anyone to think that this is acceptable has lowered there standards and expectations of the developer. The same goes for a first baseman dropping a routine throw. Not saying it never happens but it doesn't happen enough for it to be coded into the game....

Let's put it this way, if in the game the first baseman never missed the bag or never dropped a routine throw I guarantee no one would even notice it. Now missing a throw in the dirt (scooping everything) is a different story. That is believable...
Old 03-04-2009, 10:42 AM   #5
MVP

onlybygrace's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eski33
There is never a time that is acceptable for a first baseman not to have his foot on the bag. Yes, I can see a bad throw but not when it is a routine throw and the ball beats the runner by a mile.

I say that you take every ground ball in which a throw was made to first base in every major league game played last year, including the post season, I bet that the first baseman NEVER failed to touch the bag when fielding a routine throw with the runner no where close to the bag....

For anyone to think that this is acceptable has lowered there standards and expectations of the developer. The same goes for a first baseman dropping a routine throw. Not saying it never happens but it doesn't happen enough for it to be coded into the game....

Let's put it this way, if in the game the first baseman never missed the bag or never dropped a routine throw I guarantee no one would even notice it. Now missing a throw in the dirt (scooping everything) is a different story. That is believable...
Yup...

I'll go so far as to say that this is the worst gameplay gliche I have ever dealt with.

Shananigans.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-04-2009, 10:42 AM   #6
MVP

OVR: 9

Are you guys using the R-stick for throwing or the B button? I played 4 games last night and NEVER had the 1st baseman miss the bag either for my team, or on the other team. In fact, i was waiting to see it happen, but honestly, it never ever occurred.

I am using the R-stick exclusively, and trying to get myself to use the L-trigger as some grounders in the hole resulted in them beating the throw that I am pretty sure should have been an out, but with the quick throw depressed, I am getting most of the guys that should be out, and in just the right amount of time.

So, is the first baseman issue tied with the throw mechanism?

syf
Old 03-04-2009, 10:44 AM   #7
MVP

onlybygrace's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealyerface
Are you guys using the R-stick for throwing or the B button? I played 4 games last night and NEVER had the 1st baseman miss the bag either for my team, or on the other team. In fact, i was waiting to see it happen, but honestly, it never ever occurred.

I am using the R-stick exclusively, and trying to get myself to use the L-trigger as some grounders in the hole resulted in them beating the throw that I am pretty sure should have been an out, but with the quick throw depressed, I am getting most of the guys that should be out, and in just the right amount of time.

So, is the first baseman issue tied with the throw mechanism?

syf
I guess its worth trying to see.

But then there are the dropped flyballs...

*sigh*

ya, know?
Old 03-04-2009, 10:49 AM   #8
MVP

OVR: 9

Which throwing mechanic are you using? Classic or R-stick? My point is that if you are using the B button to throw the ball, it is the same issue that you see when you try to switch players out in the outfield, and the ball gets thrown home. So, if you keep the B button pressed too long, using the Classic throwing, Pujols gets the command to field the ball and run to the bag. So, you press B and through the fault of the command, he steps off the bag in an attempt to run to first... even though he is already there. Thereby stepping off the bag.

Try using the R-stick for throwing, which is way more fun and realistic anyway, and see if that does not help things. I am going to assume that you are using the Button press for throwing to first.

syf

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »