Home

Is the most important part of Franchise fixed? PROGRESSION!

This is a discussion on Is the most important part of Franchise fixed? PROGRESSION! within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 02-25-2009, 07:38 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 1
Is the most important part of Franchise fixed? PROGRESSION!

Ok lets admit it. The last two seasons of Madden have absolutely sucked based on player progression. Last year they didn't progress at all. Meanwhile this year it seems that the progressions are much more random. Heck I had a bench player gain 8 OVR points and he didn't even play a snap!

IMO, this is the most important part of franchise. Drafting a player and having him progress based on his numbers. I drafted a 77OVR rookie WR, and he broke the single season TD record, had 100+ receptions and 1500+ yards and didn't progress at all!! What kind of BS is that?
Madden 06 was absolutely PERFECT in progression in that they progressed many times during the season based on their stats. Please..can we please fix this? Or are we going to get yet another broken unplayable progression system?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-25-2009, 07:56 PM   #2
MVP

g2thecore's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: Is the most important part of Franchise fixed? PROGRESSION!

I agree. There's a lot of issues that need to be addressed in Franchise Mode, but progression is definitely one of the main ones.
Old 02-25-2009, 08:34 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch0ne
Ok lets admit it. The last two seasons of Madden have absolutely sucked based on player progression. Last year they didn't progress at all. Meanwhile this year it seems that the progressions are much more random. Heck I had a bench player gain 8 OVR points and he didn't even play a snap!

IMO, this is the most important part of franchise. Drafting a player and having him progress based on his numbers. I drafted a 77OVR rookie WR, and he broke the single season TD record, had 100+ receptions and 1500+ yards and didn't progress at all!! What kind of BS is that?
Madden 06 was absolutely PERFECT in progression in that they progressed many times during the season based on their stats. Please..can we please fix this? Or are we going to get yet another broken unplayable progression system?
Im not gonna be to harsh with you because you are new(4 total posts) but if you had read some of Ian's first posts you would have the answer to your question. He states that he wants to see big changes in stats during the season due to performance both up and down.

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...y-new-era.html

theres his blog its the first post in the 7th paragraph you will find what you seek....please read the forum a little bit before going on a rant.
Old 02-25-2009, 11:55 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 1

I guess there are a few ways of looking at this and I am on the side that doesn't agree that a player has to play on Sundays to improve.

I definitely think playing is going to help with experience but I think a player will reach his max potential if he has a bad game or a good game. A real person doesn't suddenly become a better player just because they catch a td pass.

Also in a video game they had the stats to be able to perform the way they do from the start. I just think it would be a never ending cycle if you have performance determine an increase or decrease in stats. Example if you take any stat on a 1-100 scale and start at 50. If this stat of 50 allowed a RB to have a 150 yard game so he gets an improvement to 60 for the next game, then if the 50 stat allowed a 150 yard game, the 60 stat should allow for a 200 yard game and then of course a stat increase. It just goes up and up.

I also think that player progression and potential are more position dependent. Most NFL rookie running backs come in and are already near their potential. They don't need to adjust as much. Like Adrian Peterson and Cadillac Williams, Barry Sanders ran for a td on his 2nd nfl carry. Do you think he would have been less of a player if he had gotten tackled for a loss?

QBs like Carson Palmer and Steve Young, started out on the sidelines. Learning.

I know a lot of people like having players ONLY progress if they get playing time so I know i am probably in the minority. I just have an opinion that if you have a 70 ovr player that outperforms a 90 rated player, this is a game logic issue not a lets make the 70 ovr player suddenly have 90 ovr stats.

Now, if the game itself upgrades a low level player because of excellent game play AND the game was designed to simulate " Wow, we underestimated this player, this guy is better than we thought" that is a different story. Kind of like, we drafted a late round gem that nobody knew about type of thing.

One last thing, I remember an interview with, IIRC, Steve Mariuci discussing if he should let some of his younger players play so we could see their potential at the end of a losing season. He went into a long answer about how fans and media are always make comments like that, but in reality the coaches have a pretty good idea how a player can perform just from the weekly practices and they don't need to put a player in to see just so they can " see what we got ". This one is embedded into every fans head though from the announcers every week on tv.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:35 AM   #5
MVP

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan_1
I guess there are a few ways of looking at this and I am on the side that doesn't agree that a player has to play on Sundays to improve.

I definitely think playing is going to help with experience but I think a player will reach his max potential if he has a bad game or a good game. A real person doesn't suddenly become a better player just because they catch a td pass.

Also in a video game they had the stats to be able to perform the way they do from the start. I just think it would be a never ending cycle if you have performance determine an increase or decrease in stats. Example if you take any stat on a 1-100 scale and start at 50. If this stat of 50 allowed a RB to have a 150 yard game so he gets an improvement to 60 for the next game, then if the 50 stat allowed a 150 yard game, the 60 stat should allow for a 200 yard game and then of course a stat increase. It just goes up and up.

I also think that player progression and potential are more position dependent. Most NFL rookie running backs come in and are already near their potential. They don't need to adjust as much. Like Adrian Peterson and Cadillac Williams, Barry Sanders ran for a td on his 2nd nfl carry. Do you think he would have been less of a player if he had gotten tackled for a loss?

QBs like Carson Palmer and Steve Young, started out on the sidelines. Learning.

I know a lot of people like having players ONLY progress if they get playing time so I know i am probably in the minority. I just have an opinion that if you have a 70 ovr player that outperforms a 90 rated player, this is a game logic issue not a lets make the 70 ovr player suddenly have 90 ovr stats.

Now, if the game itself upgrades a low level player because of excellent game play AND the game was designed to simulate " Wow, we underestimated this player, this guy is better than we thought" that is a different story. Kind of like, we drafted a late round gem that nobody knew about type of thing.

One last thing, I remember an interview with, IIRC, Steve Mariuci discussing if he should let some of his younger players play so we could see their potential at the end of a losing season. He went into a long answer about how fans and media are always make comments like that, but in reality the coaches have a pretty good idea how a player can perform just from the weekly practices and they don't need to put a player in to see just so they can " see what we got ". This one is embedded into every fans head though from the announcers every week on tv.
I am going to agree that progression shouldn't be solely linked to on field performance. Actually I dont see how most ratings improvement should really be linked to performance. There are some that I could understand but most of those aren't even in the game.

Awareness should be mostly based off of performance as should things like composure, consistency, confidence, leadership, etc. These are things that having game experience can really help with because they determine how well you can carry your abilities over to gametime situations and the more comfortable you are in the game the better you will be at these things.

Actual skills though? Can someone please explain to me how having a 1200 yard rushing season would make a person faster. Tell me how catching 100 passes in game can make a person better at catching the ball. How throwing for 4000 yards can increase a persons throwing accuracy.

And don't tell me it is adjusting the ratings to put them equal to their performance, if they put up those numbers with their current ratings then those ratings line up to those stats in that given situation.

Also don't tell me that the repetition from catching 100 passes throughout the season or throwing all those passes or whatever will cause improvement. Those repetitions are much less than what these players go through in practice.

Practice is the key to improving all these skills and abilities and backups practice to. It isn't like the coach is going to tell a player "you aren't starting this week, so rather than practice and work out just go home drink beer and watch TV" backups practice to and therefore should develop.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-26-2009, 12:41 AM   #6
MVP

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch0ne
explain to me how putting up these numbers improves the player's skills. How often does a player coming off of a record breaking season come back and play even better the next year? Has this ever even happened?

Conversely how often does a player come off a record breaking season to put up numbers the next season more in line with what they normally put up? much more likely.
Old 02-26-2009, 01:22 AM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 7

I think the question should be how can a 77 overall receiver be able to put up record breaking numbers?
Old 02-26-2009, 01:55 AM   #8
MVP

Outkizast's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargersa7x
I think the question should be how can a 77 overall receiver be able to put up record breaking numbers?
well put.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »