Home

Question regarding game momentum.

This is a discussion on Question regarding game momentum. within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 02-22-2009, 01:26 AM   #1
Banned

OVR: 25
Location: Far far away from the vultures and snakes that reside in the united states.
Question regarding game momentum.

If any of the devs could answer this, it would be much appreciated. If any regulars here are familiar, fill me in.

Is there an underlying momentum factor implemented in Madden? For example, if playing at home, does your team get a subtle ratings boost, .5 maybe? If your team is pounding the ball down field, does your halfback and or off line get a slight ratings boost. Nothing significant, but a .2, 3, 4 or 5?

I guess something similar to NCAA, ya know, when you're doing well the circle under your player will turn red indicating that he's hot at the moment. Is this feature in Madden, but without the visual clues?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-22-2009, 10:52 AM   #2
MVP

OVR: 52
Re: Question regarding game momentum.

Nope...not in Madden. For 09 they did add a boost to the CPU (they bumped them up a skill level under the hood) in rivalry and playoff/Super Bowl games...not sure if anyone noticed or knew that. I'm not sure I'm too crazy about it...what do you guys think?

We talked about a momentum type of thing, but then that doesn't really fit with our new realistic mantra too well because hot/cold streaks and meters on the screen and all those things aren't 'sim'. My perspective was that you could make the argument that you do see that stuff on Sundays, but then in order to make the feature non-confusing and non-frustrating, you need to implement visual feedback to the user that actually takes away from the sim experience.

Old 02-22-2009, 11:36 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Cummings_EA
Nope...not in Madden. For 09 they did add a boost to the CPU (they bumped them up a skill level under the hood) in rivalry and playoff/Super Bowl games...not sure if anyone noticed or knew that. I'm not sure I'm too crazy about it...what do you guys think?

We talked about a momentum type of thing, but then that doesn't really fit with our new realistic mantra too well because hot/cold streaks and meters on the screen and all those things aren't 'sim'. My perspective was that you could make the argument that you do see that stuff on Sundays, but then in order to make the feature non-confusing and non-frustrating, you need to implement visual feedback to the user that actually takes away from the sim experience.
Hmmm, I am kinda torn on this idea. I would like to see Home-field advantage, and rivalry's etc play a part. Not only in franchise (I dont use) , but in online play as well. I am a member of a ongoing 32 team league, and would love to see this stuff implemented, and be a factor. But, it couldn't have to much of a factor on the outcome. It's a touchy subject, but like any feature, done right, and not exaggerated, could be great. I think meters would be bad, but things like crowd noise to let you know your momentum, or player reactions on the field to let you know if a player is "hot", would be quite cool. Again, if not overblown.
I want to win by strategy first, stick skills and ratings second, and anything else third.
Old 02-22-2009, 11:44 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 12

If we had momentum added with things such as meters, icons, etc. it would help if there was an option to remove it if the user sees fit. You can't go wrong with options IMO.

There will always be those people that like seeing stuff such as weapons, in-game icons, and whatever other visuals give them an idea on what can help, as well as people that want their game to be clean, basic, well-played football.

For those in-between, if they want to see what going on with their players from time to time, they can just press start click on the option, and head back in-game.

Either way you look at it, momentum has its role in all sports including football. If it gets added or not doesn't really matter to me at this point since I'm the person just wants to see gameplay hit the point where it surpasses all other football games on the market.
Old 02-22-2009, 11:46 AM   #5
All Star

splff3000's Arena

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Cummings_EA

I actually like the idea of rivalry and playoff/superbowl games being harder. That's pretty sim to me. How many times does a 2-10 team upset a 9-3 rival team? It happens quite a bit....at least once a year. How many times have you heard the saying "throw out the records when these 2 teams play"? To me that means those games should be harder. I would even take it a step farther and have the superbowl game harder than the others. My theory is that the Superbowl should be the hardest game you play.

I also don't think we need hot/cold streaks or meters either, but I DO think there should be some kind momentum and some kind of homefield advantage. Maybe a cheering crowd can cause a visiting O-lineman with low awareness to false start more often or occasionally the QB would have to audible 2 or 3 times before the audible goes through because the crowd is so loud.

Also, while I'm mentioning homefield advantage, I think home stadiums and weather should have a more dynamic affect on attributes. Example: When TB goes to Lambeau Field in the winter, the weather effects (snow) should affect their team more than the Packers or when teams play in domes the game should feel a little faster because they're playing on turf as opposed to natural grass. Little things like this go a long way.

Last edited by splff3000; 02-22-2009 at 11:52 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-22-2009, 11:57 AM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by splff3000
I actually like the idea of rivalry and playoff/superbowl games being harder. That's pretty sim to me. How many times does a 2-10 team upset a 9-3 rival team? It happens quite a bit....at least once a year. How many times have you heard the saying "throw out the records when these 2 teams play"? To me that means those games should be harder. I would even take it a step farther and have the superbowl game harder than the others. My theory is that the Superbowl should be the hardest game you play.

I also don't think we need hot/cold streaks or meters either, but I DO think there should be some kind momentum and some kind of homefield advantage. Maybe a cheering crowd can cause a visiting O-lineman with low awareness to false start more often or occasionally the QB would have to audible 2 or 3 times before the audible goes through because the crowd is so loud.

Also, while I'm mentioning homefield advantage, I think home stadiums and weather should have a more dynamic affect on attributes. Example: When TB goes to Lambeau Field in the winter, the weather effects (snow) should affect their team more than the Packers or when teams play in domes the game should feel a little faster because they're playing on turf as opposed to natural grass. Little things like this go a long way.
I think having hot and cold streaks would be a great idea. Look at the Giants in 2007, they got on a hot-streak and won the super bowl. Or the Bucs this year fell apart and were on a cold streak.

I also think that players should go thru streaks as well. Like in my previous example, Eli got hot late in the season and in the playoffs and had a tremendous game-winning drive.

EDIT: Oh but not in a meter, just like maybe in a newspaper or there could be like a little icon by the team when your selecting your game to play that shows if the team is on any kind of streak.

Last edited by krc1130; 02-22-2009 at 11:59 AM. Reason: Had to add in some good stuff
Old 02-22-2009, 12:26 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 6

I think some sort of Home field advantage and momentum needs to be in the game. BUT!!!, Yes, there is a "but"....ONLY after the game plays realisticly when there is no advantage applied. So until I can play a full game that actually feels like a realistic NFL representation, Id rather have no time spent figuring out how to make one team "cheat" the other under the hood.

However, once that is achieved, I think it is certainly needed. Sans the icons or meters though. I think the momentum can really be brought to life through the crowd noise, commentator's can say things like, "This team is really working well together right now."

I really wish they would do something along the lines of the screen shaking when crowd is really into it. Something that always bugged me about this though was that when you snapped the ball it stopped? Why? The crowd doesnt stop cheering when you snap the ball.
Old 02-22-2009, 12:42 PM   #8
All Star

splff3000's Arena

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by bison160
I think some sort of Home field advantage and momentum needs to be in the game. BUT!!!, Yes, there is a "but"....ONLY after the game plays realisticly when there is no advantage applied. So until I can play a full game that actually feels like a realistic NFL representation, Id rather have no time spent figuring out how to make one team "cheat" the other under the hood.

However, once that is achieved, I think it is certainly needed. Sans the icons or meters though. I think the momentum can really be brought to life through the crowd noise, commentator's can say things like, "This team is really working well together right now."

I really wish they would do something along the lines of the screen shaking when crowd is really into it. Something that always bugged me about this though was that when you snapped the ball it stopped? Why? The crowd doesnt stop cheering when you snap the ball.
And, as always, you should be able to turn this stuff off. I may like the screen shaking, but the next guy may not.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »