Home

The random layup animations must end!

This is a discussion on The random layup animations must end! within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 02-18-2009, 04:31 PM   #1
Pro

Bballplaya72's Arena

OVR: 9
The random layup animations must end!

The random animations in this game are almost ruining it for me. I'm sick of having an open lane, only for a random layup animation to ruin it. Hey, I'm wide open, I know, I'm going to double pump and allow for a defender to block my shot. What ever happened to Absolute Shot Stick that they had back in 2k6. Up was basic, left was left hand, and right was right hand. It was pretty simple.

Or you're on a break, holding RT, and instead of going in for a dunk/layup, they pull up for a jumpshot and miss/get it swatted.

These are not hard things to fix, but they are really, REALLY annoying and make me scream at my TV.

Anyone else feel the same?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-18-2009, 04:43 PM   #2
Livin' the dream

Stumbleweed's Arena

OVR: 39
Re: The random layup animations must end!

Yeah, there are too many animations in this year's game that you have little to no control over. The whole idea of the shot stick is to prevent these kinds of things, but due to the contextual animations being mostly unpredictible (and sometimes downright stupid), attacking the basket straight-on and moving the RS to the right doesn't mean that your guy will do a simple right-handed layup... very irritating.

The other thing that bothers me in this area is the various walking and stationary dribble animations -- those are also unpredictible and can really affect the way your player moves at any given time. Unless you're standing there tapping LT for sizeup moves, there is no reason for your guy to be standing still and dribbling between his legs without you telling him to. So annoying, especially since it ruins timing and planning in you IsoMotion attack.
Old 02-18-2009, 05:16 PM   #3
MVP

CX1329's Arena

OVR: 16

I'd also like standing dunks to be easier to pull off. In the NBA, when a big man takes a rebound close to the basket, he'll usually pull up for a dunk unless the paint is too crowded. But in 2K9, for some reason, I just CAN'T get a big to do that. He may have more than enough space, but will somehow settle for a layup which he will promptly miss or get it swatted.

Also, the unstoppable layup animations that completely ignore any defenders that are in the ball handler's path NEED-TO-GO. TOO MANY TIMES, players will go for a layup that shouldn't even be possible in the first place. It's infuriating and beats the entire point of playing defense.
Old 02-18-2009, 09:14 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 3

Yall plz keep preachn that truth. I cant stand when im playn someone and i have wide open lane and the guy chooses the wrong hand to do a lay up. And big men play like lil girls, I can make a pass to a wide open big man standing under the goal and he will lay up the ball everytime (well that is if its not amare, duncan, d12, or kg).
Old 02-18-2009, 10:52 PM   #5
Once in a Lifetime Memory

Yeah...THAT Guy's Arena

OVR: 19

Like 3 or 4 times a game, I get a breakaway layup and my guy will put the ball in his left hand, switch it to his right and just kinda flip the ball up at the hoop all fancy like and miss. that pisses me off. and chris paul got me with like 8 of those unstoppable layups this past game. he knocked over 3 of my defenders in 1 motion for an easy lay in.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-19-2009, 07:11 AM   #6
DC
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by CX1329
I'd also like standing dunks to be easier to pull off. In the NBA, when a big man takes a rebound close to the basket, he'll usually pull up for a dunk unless the paint is too crowded. But in 2K9, for some reason, I just CAN'T get a big to do that. He may have more than enough space, but will somehow settle for a layup which he will promptly miss or get it swatted.
Good. Keep it that way
Old 02-19-2009, 07:47 AM   #7
MVP

Kully's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by CX1329
Quote:
Originally Posted by landoniandeux
And big men play like lil girls, I can make a pass to a wide open big man standing under the goal and he will lay up the ball everytime (well that is if its not amare, duncan, d12, or kg).
No thanks guys; I like it this way. I don't want it to go back to the way it was in 2K8.

I'll agree with the randomness of the layup animations though. I would press a direction, and watch my player switch hands so the defense can swat it. Kinda sucks.
Old 02-19-2009, 10:09 AM   #8
Banned

OVR: 28

I've been meaning to post this myself for some time now. I agree with all that's been said. Even the dunk underneath that some of you disagree with. If I press a button and move a stick for a dunk then I should get a dunk ATTEMPT. And 2K should be able to calculate the successfulness of said ATTEMPT which should be relatively low like the NBA when attempting to dunk in traffic.

But let me tell you what irritates me the most. Fast break and your driving to the hoop , got your finger on the turbo, nobody around you, the wind in you air, the top down and when you push the stick or x button your guy pulls up like he's in the wnba and takes a weak shot when he could have drove it for a slam or layup.

Last edited by totalownership; 02-19-2009 at 10:14 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »