Home

Great Idea for Madden 10 All-Madden Manual Catch

This is a discussion on Great Idea for Madden 10 All-Madden Manual Catch within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 02-12-2009, 09:32 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 3
Great Idea for Madden 10 All-Madden Manual Catch

Hey guys...Ian/Phil, this is kstarr from madden nation 4 don't know if you guys watched the show or not but I'm a hardcore madden gamer. First off I'm extremly excited for Madden 10 because these guys who are on the project are the same guys who gave us the Madden Glory days on PS2 that were Madden 2005, 2006, and the best of all, 2007.

Now my biggest problem with 08 and 09 on 360 is the fact that manual catching is now done with holding Y. Not timing it like it was done on ps2 which had the most fluid gameplay and stick skills because of it, but instead with no skill holding down the Y button. This has caused problems on both sides of the ball -- offense and defense with this system in place because at times even defenders won't jump like they use to on ps2 when you're in position and tap the Y button at the right time.

So my request is, if you guys leave down the holding Y button for manual catch, why not just make it all timing ala PS2 on the All-Madden skill set only? I figure it's an easy solution and great idea if the holding Y terribleness is still in Madden 10. This way, guys who aren't as skilled or with good reaction time can still hold Y down and get animations...but not on All-Madden. This would keep the hardcore gamers and top guys like myself happy because while we play on All-Madden the great fluidty of PS2 days control would be back where it took skill to pull off these kind of catches with consistency and again, fluity. Just an idea I thought I'd throw out there! Looking forward to Madden 10 and hoping it's a great one like the ps2 glory days!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-12-2009, 11:38 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 10
Re: Great Idea for Madden 10 All-Madden Manual Catch

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddenNation4KStarr
Hey guys...Ian/Phil, this is kstarr from madden nation 4 don't know if you guys watched the show or not but I'm a hardcore madden gamer. First off I'm extremly excited for Madden 10 because these guys who are on the project are the same guys who gave us the Madden Glory days on PS2 that were Madden 2005, 2006, and the best of all, 2007.

Now my biggest problem with 08 and 09 on 360 is the fact that manual catching is now done with holding Y. Not timing it like it was done on ps2 which had the most fluid gameplay and stick skills because of it, but instead with no skill holding down the Y button. This has caused problems on both sides of the ball -- offense and defense with this system in place because at times even defenders won't jump like they use to on ps2 when you're in position and tap the Y button at the right time.

So my request is, if you guys leave down the holding Y button for manual catch, why not just make it all timing ala PS2 on the All-Madden skill set only? I figure it's an easy solution and great idea if the holding Y terribleness is still in Madden 10. This way, guys who aren't as skilled or with good reaction time can still hold Y down and get animations...but not on All-Madden. This would keep the cheesers like myself happy because while we play on All-Madden the great fluidty of PS2 days control would be back where it took skill to pull off these kind of catches with consistency and again, fluity. Just an idea I thought I'd throw out there! Looking forward to Madden 10 and hoping it's a great one like the ps2 glory days!
Fixed
Old 02-13-2009, 01:25 AM   #3
CNFL Commissioner

XtremeDunkz's Arena

OVR: 22

perfect fix
Old 02-13-2009, 02:41 AM   #4
Rookie

Tough crowd, I wasn't aware to you guys thought that manually catching is "cheese". I think it's safe to assume user catching on PS2 during the 05-07 days was a lot of fun, great, and not at all gimmicky. Regardless it was a thought I just thought i'd throw out there.
Old 02-13-2009, 03:11 AM   #5
Banned

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddenNation4KStarr
Tough crowd, I wasn't aware to you guys thought that manually catching is "cheese". I think it's safe to assume user catching on PS2 during the 05-07 days was a lot of fun, great, and not at all gimmicky. Regardless it was a thought I just thought i'd throw out there.
Well I think its pretty weak because the user catch works damn near everytime and it shouldn't. Its comparable to the goalie dive in NHL 09, and since most (not all) the "top players" are rising the leaderboards by taking advantage of that crap I just think its pretty embarrassing to do that sort of thing all the while think your good because of it. Now I'm not saying you don't have skill because you do, but you find holes in the game you can exploit, and you don't necessarily have to know football to be succesful at Madden just like you don't have to know hockey to make a goalie fall over in a video game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-13-2009, 03:48 AM   #6
Rookie

I would understand if it were gimmicky but when it was all timing oriented that wasn't the case(ps2). Stick skills are a part of the game and always will be, this isn't NFL Head Coach. Let's not lose focus on the original intent of this thread: To put it back to timing-based PS2 style of user catch for the All-Madden mode and leave the holding Y style to the other difficulties. That has been a big issue on the 360 since it's been on is the game doesn't feel right and leaves a lot to be desired in the user control department and overall in how it feels. I understand some have issue with user catching but the user catch in 07 ps2 was perfect, get to the spot before the DB and time your catch to get a regular jump animation. Just stick skill and strategy is what made that game great in my opinion.
Old 02-13-2009, 04:06 AM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 1

I agree. It takes no skill to user catch in either of EA's 09 football games. The only thing that does tak a little skill is the RC. And although I do it, it is cheap. Overall, the PS2 days were good and I think if EA could take some of the things they've come up with and add them to the PS2 gameplay then these games would be so much more fun. They def need to get rid of the hold Y to catch though.
Old 02-13-2009, 06:01 AM   #8
MVP

OVR: 23

Hey, at least he didn't call himself a "Freestyle" Madden player lol

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »