Home

Body Check vs. Poke Check

This is a discussion on Body Check vs. Poke Check within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 01-20-2009, 12:54 PM   #1
Rookie

Randiesel75's Arena

OVR: 15
Icon5 Body Check vs. Poke Check

Newbie to NHL 09 after a long hiatus from NHL 94 on Sega Genesis. So, I am looking for some assistance from the community. PSN: Randiesel

In reviewing the post game stats I see that my passes are a bit lower than most guys, but what is a striking imbalance on the stats is the checking. My hits are way higher than my opponent. This leads me to believe (as well as one player alluding to over post game messages) that I am over-commiting on defense, always looking for the big hit.

I am starting to understand this now and realized that defense is of utmost importance.

How can I correct this? Should I be using the Poke Check more often to not commit as hard on the big hits and then be taken out of the play consequently giving up the lane for a score?

I guess I don't understand the how, why and when to use the Poke vs. Body check.

Thanks,

Randiesel
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-20-2009, 01:36 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 5
Re: Body Check vs. Poke Check

That really is for you to experiment with.

I use a poke check when some one is coming across me.

I use the body check when I can become parrellel to the offensive player and can drive him into the boards.
Old 01-20-2009, 02:15 PM   #3
Phenom

seasprite's Arena

OVR: 27

I have much more success with the poke check than I do body checking. Your best bet is to raise your defensive awareness to increase your poke and stick lift. I find many times when you go for those big body checks, you take yourself out of position more times than you stop the offensive rush
Old 01-20-2009, 03:42 PM   #4
MVP

Taur3asi3's Arena

OVR: 17

I let my positioning determin if i poke check or body check. If my angle on the rush isnt good enough to hit the opposing player into the boards i'll poke check it out of the zone. The only time i always 100% poke check is on the PK when my forwards are pressuring the cpu's defensemen if they have the puck on the cycle. That leads to some good chances to either go in for a scoring opportunity, dump it, or just rag it around their end to kill time.

Be careful though if you use the poke check enough you'll get called for tons of tripping penalties.
Old 01-20-2009, 03:44 PM   #5
R.I.P 2KHockey 2000-2011

savoie2006's Arena

OVR: 29

Yeah, I most always Poke Check. If they get by me I'll stick lift. Generally the only time I check is when I dump the puck in behind the net.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-21-2009, 09:38 AM   #6
Rookie

Randiesel75's Arena

OVR: 15

Many thanks to all the replies as my game has improved since severely backing off the Body Check. Although now I get called for more tripping penalties.

Last edited by Randiesel75; 01-21-2009 at 03:04 PM.
Old 01-21-2009, 02:58 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 16

Don't forget, the hit stat in this game is wrong. It is counting every bump or jostle in front of the net as well. So some games you'll see hit stats of 80-85 per team, and yet hardly used the check button. If they eliminate this stat for next year, I don't think anyone would care too much. At least not myself.
Old 01-24-2009, 05:22 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 2

Poke

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »