Home

All Top Rank Players Cheesers?

This is a discussion on All Top Rank Players Cheesers? within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 01-15-2009, 11:41 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 4
All Top Rank Players Cheesers?

Now I've played a few of the higher ranked players and noticed that they use the cheap wraparound slapper for many goals. Yes, they have some skill but why do they resort to these exploits? Is that the only way to stay 'top ranked'?

I don't blame them for using it, if that's the way they want to play it (which i hate), I blame myself for not being able to stop it.

So, I ask, what's the best defense to stop the cheese? I have not yet mastered this exploit so have a hard time countering it with the same crap.

Please offer some tips. thanks.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-15-2009, 01:41 PM   #2
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

OVR: 25
Re: All Top Rank Players Cheesers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidPuddy
Now I've played a few of the higher ranked players and noticed that they use the cheap wraparound slapper for many goals. Yes, they have some skill but why do they resort to these exploits? Is that the only way to stay 'top ranked'?

I don't blame them for using it, if that's the way they want to play it (which i hate), I blame myself for not being able to stop it.

So, I ask, what's the best defense to stop the cheese? I have not yet mastered this exploit so have a hard time countering it with the same crap.

Please offer some tips. thanks.

I made a very similar topic about this. And I agree 100% The top 1,000 players on XBOX LIVE are straight cheesers. As far as defense goes you can usually poke check the puck away if you stand on the side of the goal that they attempt the shot on. However, I have played against a few players (on guy was in the top 100) and I could not stop him. He scored 5 cheese goals and I quit. Which is something I never do. But I just am not going to play with crap like this. EA REALLY needs to fix this.
Old 01-15-2009, 02:04 PM   #3
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnon39
I made a very similar topic about this. And I agree 100% The top 1,000 players on XBOX LIVE are straight cheesers. As far as defense goes you can usually poke check the puck away if you stand on the side of the goal that they attempt the shot on. However, I have played against a few players (on guy was in the top 100) and I could not stop him. He scored 5 cheese goals and I quit. Which is something I never do. But I just am not going to play with crap like this. EA REALLY needs to fix this.
yeah, i hate quitting too, and i've never quit even when losing 10 zip. I've played over 100 games online and i'm at 0%DNF. Even though sometimes I'd like to quit against cheap players, i still don't. I'll keep trying to get better at it.
Old 01-15-2009, 02:14 PM   #4
Rookie

I would try to run an aggressive trap type D that breaks up the zone entry (look at MIN's default setup, if it's still the same). Very passive forecheck and move the D pressure to max. Chase in the neutral zone with a fwd and kill them at the line with Dmen. When they get into the zone, you would probably want to play the D you are most comfortable with and select a Dman to maul anyone coming around for a wraparound slap. Sometimes, the key to playing D on Vs. mode is to switch players as little as possible and remain in the D player's position (or pick a man and stick to the programed D setup). The more you chase in your zone, the further your team will get pulled out of position, causing the cpu controlled D hesistate or not know where to go and the large the holes in the D will get. In this instance, you'll want to select a Dman (hold down RT on xb360 for last man back) and just patrol your area of the ice. When they start for the wrap around slapper, remove the puck from them or them from the puck. That's just the way I see it. It's just really boring to play against folks that do this.

You also may try to play a puck control O, so they don't have many opportunities to bore you to death with the same exact shot over and over again.
Old 01-15-2009, 02:27 PM   #5
Rookie

thanks all for the tips.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-15-2009, 02:38 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 5

I think the cheese goals are what they are. Stop it, or stop complaining.

That being said, I employ the "protect the net" defensive strategy. This is not a one stop process. all it does is place your team in the optimal position for defending the wraparound technique.

highlight the player closet to the puck. I suggest attacking the offensive player with one of your two defense men. by doing so, you have gained the power of forcing him to a specific side of the net. after you make your first attack, promptly highlight the defense men on the other side of the net. this will trap your opponent into either changing direction or facing you head on. I suggest practicing hitting so that you level him. if you miss a poke choke, you are left vulnerable by having a man open in the slot for a one-timer.
The wraparound technique, although simplistic, is an important phase to utilize. If the wraparound is not available, you have drawn defense men away from men in front of the goal crease. make sure to make the first move, otherwise the attacking player will dictate what they wish to do with the puck leaving you vulnerable.
Old 01-15-2009, 03:17 PM   #7
MVP

Darkleaf's Arena

OVR: 19

The temptation to score is too much for them to stop from the using the cheesiest moves.
My team online is a bunch of OS guys our team is called the Cheese Fighters Club (Div7) and I see a couple guys on our team have resorted to these kinds of tactics.
We can't score using non cheating methods so I guess a couple of guys have decided to start scoring by any means necessary. We went from a team that lost 2-1 all the time to a team that loses 3-2 with cheap tactics.
And the two worst moves that are most popular are the wrap around and the backwards breakaway goal.
Old 01-15-2009, 03:33 PM   #8
MVP

bigwill33's Arena

OVR: 13

I just wrote an article on this here more or less. It should be up in the next week or so. It is called my quest to be #1 online. It started running long so I didn't get into a lot of what I wanted to touch on, maybe I could make it a series or something.

Anyway yes, I am ranked top 200 currently and the game is just about straight cheese. The problem mostly lies in the game itself as it rewards that kind of play. It is much easier to score and win doing those moves than playing real hockey. Still it can be countered and stopped sometimes.

Things I have done or have seen work effectively include these:
-Try being a forward on defense, bring them down low and force your opponent to go around the cpu defense (much tougher than human controlled) and your controlled forward.

-beat them to the side they are beating you on. Meaning you have to make them beat you another way. If you know they like to wrap it around or pick short side you must try and beat them to the punch and get there first. Use your poke checks or lie down as a last ditch effort.

-If you know what you are doing you can even control the goalie to stop these moves. The cpu goalie is a moron when it comes to these so take matters into your own hands. Don't do it every time as to not show your had, and sometimes you can bluff it meaning if you have done it once and he thinks you will do it again just quickly switch to goalie then off him before he has a chance to react.

-While I don't like to do this you can change your strategy tactics to help out. Look for ones like collapsing low etc. That should clog things up a bit and allow you to be closer to a position where you can maybe defend these shots.

-Run interference. This game is laxed when it comes to interference penalties so bump a guy before he gets to a loose puck or receives a pass. Blow the guy up on the doorstep waiting for the cross crease one timer. Or just slam someone when they are at the blue line waiting to enter the zone in hopes of knocking him offside. It is dirty but hey do what you need to do to win against people that are just going to do it to you anyway.

Most of it though is about speed and play recognition. You have to be fast on the sticks and no the controls inside and out. Then you have to know hockey and anticipate the passes and shots and you will start taking away your opponents time and space. It sucks but this game is what it is, and to win against the best you have to play like them.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »