Home

Old 01-13-2009, 08:15 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
Unplayable

My roommate got this game for Christmas and sent it to me since he is studying abroad. I played the game (2nd time playing, lil cousin got it for Christmas) and really got a chance to study it. For Blue Ribbon to have helped, this is completely unacceptable. I am a college basketball junkie so the accuracy of the rosters and ratings are a big thing for me. I looked through teams' rosters and they are completely out of wack. Some examples are the starting lineups. Cornell (defending Ivy League Champs), their top player and best shooter Ryan Wittman is not in the starting lineup. VCU, their 6th man #5, Brandon Rozzell is not even on the 12 man roster by default, even though he has a 70 rating. Instead, they have a walk-on that's not even on the team anymore on the roster. Elon (the school I attend) is missing one of its best players. Their starting center, #23, Ola Atoyebi is not even in the game for some reason. Instead, two walk-ons (neither on the team this year and one with the wrong classification) are in the game instead. Also, some freshman guard that is not on the team at all is on the roster. Those were just a few examples.

The ratings are even worst. The best player on Elon's team in a 7'0 redshirt freshman who might possibly be the worst player on the team. He is an 80+ in the game. VCU has a freshman that is starting on their team in real life who is overly rated as well. Terrence Oglesby of Clemson has 3pt rating of 73. How is it possible that a knock down shooter like him has the same rating as a Ty Lawson? Another terrible rating is having Danny Green ranked lower than Marcus Ginyard. We all know that Ginyard is the usual starter but to be rated higher than Green is outrageous. Also, on the UNC roster, Marc Campbell, a little used walk-on is rated a 74, while key reserve Will Graves is way lower.

I noticed all this before I even played a game. I then played a game and it got worst. Not only is the game a poor play but players played completely unlike themselves or their ratings. I played VCU (me) vs. Davidson and Stephen Curry only took 6 shots in the game (1 3pt attempt) and VCU's Eric Maynor raked him on numerous occasion with ease. While I was stealing the ball from Curry, Brandon McKillop, #1, was driving down the lane dunking. Davidson played nothing like the real Davidson. If this game is an upgrade from last year then last year's game had to be the worst basketball video game. I refuse to ever play this game again. I'm glad I wasn't the one to waste money on this awful game.

Sorry for being so long but I have to vent because I was so excited about a college basketball game.

Last edited by FutureofSports; 01-13-2009 at 10:24 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-13-2009, 08:45 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: Unplayable

better put up your flameshield pal
Old 01-14-2009, 07:02 AM   #3
Rookie

Omega Kid's Arena

OVR: 4

What about fun factor, graphics and gameplay?

I understand the cbball junkies out there, but is a videogame.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:42 AM   #4
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureofSports
My roommate got this game for Christmas and sent it to me since he is studying abroad. I played the game (2nd time playing, lil cousin got it for Christmas) and really got a chance to study it. For Blue Ribbon to have helped, this is completely unacceptable. I am a college basketball junkie so the accuracy of the rosters and ratings are a big thing for me. I looked through teams' rosters and they are completely out of wack. Some examples are the starting lineups. Cornell (defending Ivy League Champs), their top player and best shooter Ryan Wittman is not in the starting lineup. VCU, their 6th man #5, Brandon Rozzell is not even on the 12 man roster by default, even though he has a 70 rating. Instead, they have a walk-on that's not even on the team anymore on the roster. Elon (the school I attend) is missing one of its best players. Their starting center, #23, Ola Atoyebi is not even in the game for some reason. Instead, two walk-ons (neither on the team this year and one with the wrong classification) are in the game instead. Also, some freshman guard that is not on the team at all is on the roster. Those were just a few examples.

The ratings are even worst. The best player on Elon's team in a 7'0 redshirt freshman who might possibly be the worst player on the team. He is an 80+ in the game. VCU has a freshman that is starting on their team in real life who is overly rated as well. Terrence Oglesby of Clemson has 3pt rating of 73. How is it possible that a knock down shooter like him has the same rating as a Ty Lawson? Another terrible rating is having Danny Green ranked lower than Marcus Ginyard. We all know that Ginyard is the usual starter but to be rated higher than Green is outrageous. Also, on the UNC roster, Marc Campbell, a little used walk-on is rated a 74, while key reserve Will Graves is way lower.

I noticed all this before I even played a game. I then played a game and it got worst. Not only is the game a poor play but players played completely unlike themselves or their ratings. I played VCU (me) vs. Davidson and Stephen Curry only took 6 shots in the game (1 3pt attempt) and VCU's Eric Maynor raked him on numerous occasion with ease. While I was stealing the ball from Curry, Brandon McKillop, #1, was driving down the lane dunking. Davidson played nothing like the real Davidson. If this game is an upgrade from last year then last year's game had to be the worst basketball video game. I refuse to ever play this game again. I'm glad I wasn't the one to waste money on this awful game.

Sorry for being so long but I have to vent because I was so excited about a college basketball game.
sorry you didn't like the game. I am enjoying the hell out of it though. Midway through season number 2.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 01-14-2009, 02:24 PM   #5
MVP

jkra0512's Arena

OVR: 31

I wouldn't say it's unplayable, but it does have some glaring problems which you hinted at with the rosters. I'm not a college basketball junkie, so I couldn't possibly see the detail you see in the rosters, but I'm a baseball junkie and if the rosters were messed up as much as they are on college basketball, I think I'd be as upset as you are.

People here have attempted with some great success, imo, to rectify EA's mistake with the rosters. I would check those out and see what you think, FutureofSports.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-14-2009, 02:32 PM   #6

jtarolli9's Arena

OVR: 9

Yes I'll admit that there are many rosters flaws, Syracuse's Andy Rautins, who is one of the better 3 pt shooters in the nation is rated like a high 60s low 70s at 3's. But IMO these rosters flaws do not take away from the gameplay which is great so I do not think that it is "Unplayable."
Old 01-19-2009, 01:35 PM   #7
Rookie

GetBuff's Arena

OVR: 5

The rosters are always garbage. I have come to learn to expect this from EA. It is something that can be fixed but it is time consuming and I am very thankful to those who put their time in to fix them.

As for the game. Overall it is a B in imo. The gameplay is better than in years past but out of the box there are many tweaks that have to be made with the sliders for the game to be effective. The online play is alright if you play people you know but that also could use some tweaking. I hope EA continues to build on this series because I think it is going in the right direction now, finally, and if they would have added online dynasty I think this game would have blown people away. Although I do wonder how online dynasty would work with CBB compared to CFB since there are more games in a season.
Old 01-19-2009, 07:20 PM   #8
MVP

OVR: 13

I wouldn't say it's Unplayable - that's strong..but I would grate it as following:

Gameplay: C+. It's a big improvement and it is fun to pick up and play - ALOT of fun. But over time the gameplay proves very shallow and just does not hold up.

Dynasty D-. The rankings are awful..just awful If You are unranked and/or a mid major..you better run the trable to even get a sniff of the top 25. The recruiting is ridiculously easy as well.

Rosters B - No issues to me. I'd prefer more option when customizing - but there is always next year.

Overall I'd give the game a C+

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Other Basketball Games > NCAA Basketball »