Home

Does this game play like Madden??

This is a discussion on Does this game play like Madden?? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 01-08-2009, 11:31 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 3
Does this game play like Madden??

i was wondering if this game has all the gameplay problems that Madden has. Specifically:

1. No CPU running game

2. Robo Q.B.

3. Super Defensive Backs

Please let me know the differences from Madden!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-09-2009, 11:44 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 4
Icon10 Re: Does this game play like Madden??

Rent it and five it a shot.

I haven't play Madden as much as I've played NCAA, but I think NCAA is more realistic. You CAN run the ball. You can pass the ball and you CAN play defense.

From what I've heard, if you like playing football, video game style you should play Madden (i.e. rocket catches, cheese plays, etc). If you like simulation style football and don't cheese then NCAA is for you. If you can play defense then NCAA is good, if you need help Madden helps since everyone on the D is "pro caliber".

I personally like college football better in real life, b/c you can pitch the ball in the option.

One thing I didn't care for in Madden is the Madden test, I can press the buttons on the "running test" similar to guitar hero but when it comes to the real game pressing those buttons doesn't help. I had an all madden running ability after the "test" but couldn't do very well against the cpu defense b/c I "supposedly" had a great running ability. Pressing buttons in a quick sequence is "video game" style to me.

In NCAA the USER BIG HIT doesn't cause a turnover nearly as often either.

The recruiting is a cool feature. I started a dynasty with Wyoming and it's fun trying to build them.

You can find some good sliders online that make the game fun yet challenging.

As for your questions:

1) You can run w/ your qb if he's fast and you follow your blockers. You can also shut it down on D by using the hot route "QB SPY".

2) Not sure what a Robo QB is. Another nice thing about NCAA is you can play with many different teams that all have different strengths and weaknesses, so you may have a team with a good QB (i.e. Florida) or a not so good QB, (i.e. Army). Seems like in Madden they are ALL professionals so they should all be pretty good.

3) If you can read a defense then you can pass. If you throw to the open man he will catch or you can user catch. Throwing into coverage will get a pick or a knock-down but nothing crazy like I've seen w/ the rocker catching or jet packing on youtube for madden.

"Please let me know the differences from Madden! "
It's similar but different. If you have Madden you should rent NCAA and once you play a few games you will be able to tell the difference and see for yourself which style you like better. Madden's graphics of course look nicer but it usually does, NCAA 2010 will probably look more like Madden 09, seems like it always works that way. I had Madden but I like NCAA better, I traded Madden in on Fifa 09.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-09-2009, 11:56 PM   #3
Rookie

dex26-'s Arena

Re: Does this game play like Madden??

NCAA might bit abit more realistic till you get online. I'm so sick of kids getting WVU and playing Pat White, running 20 yards away from the pocket then throwing to Devine 30 seconds later. Why do these kids play. I just don't know why i keep playing them when they pick them...

Its hard to play online with a lower team. I've tried playing with Maryland or UVA but everytime people pick WVU or USC.
Old 01-10-2009, 05:48 AM   #4
HBP
Rookie

OVR: 7

Or Florida and Tebow throwing and catching the most ridiculous of passes. I don't play against anyone with Florida anymore online unless it's a dynasty with strict rules against it.
Old 01-10-2009, 01:39 PM   #5
Banned

OVR: 3

Thanks for the replys. I think Im going to get it cuz Madden is just terrible. The CPU cant run the ball at all, and the Robo Q.B. is crazy(Robo Q.B. by the way is when the qaurterback throws perfect completions all over the field like going 28 for 30 for the game).

I had one more question. What is the differences in the dynasty mode if there are any, between the PS2 version and the PS3 version?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-10-2009, 02:08 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 5

The CPU doesn't run much even when sliders are in their favor. Robo QB is so abused that its not funny. Ive literally seen people circle around in the backfield with pryor twice and then find an open reciever and throw a touchdown on 4th and 10. Ugh. The secondary rarely ever jumps routes, pays no attention when players come into their zone, and cant cover curl, drag, or slant routes.
Old 01-10-2009, 06:52 PM   #7
Rookie

i didnt spend much time with madden, but the time i spent, they are totally different.

Here are some of my Gripes with NCAA mostly A.I. probs if you play dynasty mode.

Bad Defensive Angles
CPU rarely throws deep
Speed is the only attribute that matters.
CPU calls too many HB screen, HB CHoice plays (even with slower QBs)

Those are my gripes that were not able to be solved by sliders.

but the game is a blast, specially if u get with a good group of guys on dynasty mode.

Old 01-10-2009, 09:27 PM   #8
Rookie

Icon10 Re: Does this game play like Madden??

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex26-
NCAA might bit abit more realistic till you get online. I'm so sick of kids getting WVU and playing Pat White, running 20 yards away from the pocket then throwing to Devine 30 seconds later. Why do these kids play. I just don't know why i keep playing them when they pick them...

Its hard to play online with a lower team. I've tried playing with Maryland or UVA but everytime people pick WVU or USC.
I am not a NFL player nor did I play football in college so I'm not really sure how "realistic" any of this is.

I do like playing video games, and I do like sim style football.

I pre-ordered this game and picked it up when it came out. I was in a few online dynasties and like everyone says IF you get in with a good group of guys then it's fun. If however, you play people that cheese, like I did it will give you a bad taste in your mouth. I actually sold the game back b/c I was so upset with the online cheesers.

I started playing FIFA 09, it's the same thing there. Most people pick Man U (best team on the game) and MAN U only. It's not fun to play them over and over again. I found a good group of guys in a few leagues the use lower ranked teams and now it's fun to play online. They also play NCAA 09 online so I figured I'd give it another shot.

I still haven't played any online games, I'm still on the waiting lists for these "sim-style" leagues. Hopefully it will be better than before but I am enjoying playing my offline dynasty. I can play sim style all day long and it's a blast.

I haven't played Madden enough to know but from watching the Madden Challenge thingy on ESPN it seems like they only pick a handful of money plays and run them OVER and OVER again. I watch a lot of football on TV and you will see plays repeated (maybe flipped) in the 3rd quarter that were ran in the 1st, but you will never see a team run the same 4 plays the entire game. My wife and I have high school season tickets to our local high school even they don't run the same 4 plays over and over. Cheese players can ruin the game quickly. Find a good group of people to play and it can be fun.

As far as the robo qb, my qb misses passes and so does the cpu's qb. My WR, TE, FBs and HBs will drop passes too. They drop them in real life so I'm fine with it. A good set of sliders can go a long ways.

If you do end up getting it and have an xbox 360 let me know I'll play or atleast send you in the right direction for a good league and/or group of sim-style players. Let us know what you think of it if you do get it.

Good luck,
Gus

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »