Home

Taking the Slamball Out of Our NBA Games

This is a discussion on Taking the Slamball Out of Our NBA Games within the NBA Live forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 12-29-2008, 11:55 AM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Taking the Slamball Out of Our NBA Games

For my family and I, the holidays are traditionally a time when we pile into a rental car and head down to Florida to enjoy some warm weather.

Historically, the best part of these trips has not been the beaches, the ocean, the golf courses or the big-screen TV with the fancy satellite package; rather, it is the outdoor basketball courts next to our hotel, which are packed every day from breakfast to dinner with a large mix of athletes:

Mostly the courts are filled with kids who are just beginning their high school careers and twenty-somethings like myself who are still in their athletic prime, but there are also a few older guys in their thirties/forties who are just out there reliving past athletic glories.

There is something special about these pick-up games. There is something about getting a random group of people together and bonding around a common goal (scoring hoops) that really captures the essence of sports and friendly competition.

Read More - Taking the Slamball Out of Our NBA Games
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-29-2008, 12:31 PM   #2
GSW
Simnation

GSW's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: Taking the Slamball Out of Our NBA Games

Thats a real good article.

I didnt like how it started off but you finished strong.
Old 12-29-2008, 02:12 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 9
No turbo is unrealistic...Players change speeds in real life
Old 12-29-2008, 02:13 PM   #4
Banned

2k0 DOESallow you to physically tie up offensive players......
Old 12-29-2008, 02:32 PM   #5
Producer - EA Sports

Bumble14's Arena

OVR: 25
I think it's important to note that not everyone minds the more up-tempo style of video game basketball. Simulation/slow paced isn't for everyone.

My personal opinion is that it isn't really the games fault for "slamball" being played, but rather the players. I'd rather have a game that allows me to play more up-tempo than throwing in restraints that hinder the flow of the game..ala 2K basketball lately.

No sports game is ever going to replicate the gameplay of an actual game. I think it's important that we realize that these are video games, and we should enjoy them for what they are.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-29-2008, 05:04 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7stringking
No turbo is unrealistic...Players change speeds in real life
But with a decent game engine, you don't need a turbo button to control acceleration; all you need is an analog stick to tell your player how hard you want him to to go, and the game will take care of all the momentum and acceleration for you.

Have you played EA's NHL games since they took out the turbo button? NHL '09 probably has the best momentum physics of any sports game out there, and a large part of why it works so well is the absence of the "turbo" button that used to let players instantly accelerate to top speed and fly around the ice like they had no weight at all.

That's the problem in these NBA games: players can skate around the court at top speed with no feeling of momentum or acceleration, unless they happen to have the ball in their hands.

For some reason, these games have decided that only the ball handler needs to be subject to the laws of momentum and acceleration.

Next year's games need to make everyone on the court subject to the same physics, otherwise you get the mess that we have right now, where everybody but the ball handlers can zoom around the court all game long like they're The Flash.

Old 12-29-2008, 05:14 PM   #7
Banned

Barry Allen??
Old 12-29-2008, 05:15 PM   #8
Pro

OVR: 10
Re: Taking the Slamball Out of Our NBA Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by wEEman33
But with a decent game engine, you don't need a turbo button to control acceleration; all you need is an analog stick to tell your player how hard you want him to to go, and the game will take care of all the momentum and acceleration for you.

Have you played EA's NHL games since they took out the turbo button? NHL '09 probably has the best momentum physics of any sports game out there, and a large part of why it works so well is the absence of the "turbo" button that used to let players instantly accelerate to top speed and fly around the ice like they had no weight at all.

That's the problem in these NBA games: players can skate around the court at top speed with no feeling of momentum or acceleration, unless they happen to have the ball in their hands.

For some reason, these games have decided that only the ball handler needs to be subject to the laws of momentum and acceleration.

Next year's games need to make everyone on the court subject to the same physics, otherwise you get the mess that we have right now, where everybody but the ball handlers can zoom around the court all game long like they're The Flash.

Correct. After thinking NHL was dumb for having no turbo, I played it and it was the best thing they can get rid of, and i wish they would take it out in all games. Now i always think NHL by 2k is just stupid, because of the turbo.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live »