Home

I Need Defensive Help

This is a discussion on I Need Defensive Help within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 12-08-2008, 12:35 PM   #1
MVP

BIG CAROLINA's Arena

OVR: 18
I Need Defensive Help

I am not one to blame the game for CPU comeback AI. I just figure that I must be doing something wrong on the defensive end to allow the CPU to comeback in the 3rd period.

I have lost my last 3 games where I was leading 4-0, 3-1 and 3-0.I have to be doing something wrong on defense.

I am not the most knowledgeable Hockey person in the world so that's why I am asking for help.

What should I be setting my defensive strategies to to ensure (Help) me to hold on to a lead late in the game? Thanks

PSN: BIG_CAROLINA

"Life is too short for a man to hold bitterness in his heart."
Marshall W. "Major" Taylor
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-08-2008, 01:22 PM   #2
Pro

OVR: 17
Re: I Need Defensive Help

I'd have to suggest putting your offensive strategy to "protect the lead". I'd also be less aggressive on the forecheck (I believe it's a 1-2-2 formation) and collapse around the net on defense, forcing the cpu to shoot from outside. Also, be sure to take control of one of your d-men in front of the net since because when you let the cpu control them, they play like clueless 'tards and forget to keep the front of the net clear and cover the slot. In addition, really watch out for the cpu bringing the puck out from behind the net or from the corner. They just love to start skating across the front of the crease, causing your goalie to go down prematurely and leave the top of the net wide open. Don't forget that the goalies are also very susceptible to sharp angle shots since they don't cover the post very well.

Good luck!
Old 12-08-2008, 02:37 PM   #3
LP
Johnny Canuck

LP's Arena

OVR: 19

Just another tidbit to go along with the other post, don't be afraid to ice the puck. An icing call is much better than a goal against. Too many times, I see people fail to clear the zone.
Old 12-08-2008, 02:49 PM   #4
MVP

BIG CAROLINA's Arena

OVR: 18

Thanks for the tips fellas. I will be putting them to use.

PSN: BIG_CAROLINA

"Life is too short for a man to hold bitterness in his heart."
Marshall W. "Major" Taylor
Old 12-08-2008, 03:19 PM   #5
Qb
All Star

Qb's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by LP
Just another tidbit to go along with the other post, don't be afraid to ice the puck. An icing call is much better than a goal against. Too many times, I see people fail to clear the zone.
On this subject, one of my EASHL teammates clued me into this handy trick. If you pull back on the R-stick like you're going for a slapper (it only has to be a little bit) then pass the puck with the R-trigger, you'll be able to pass the puck in the direction you push with the L-stick.

This means you can "manually" pass... No more passing to a teammate with guys on him in the slot in your own zone when you really want to move it up the boards! I've had some nice bank passes behind the goal to my defensive partner and to spring a forward past a pinching CPU d-man (as they often do when trailing late). Try it out when you need to put the puck into space as opposed to making a direct pass to a teammate...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-08-2008, 09:28 PM   #6
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qb
On this subject, one of my EASHL teammates clued me into this handy trick. If you pull back on the R-stick like you're going for a slapper (it only has to be a little bit) then pass the puck with the R-trigger, you'll be able to pass the puck in the direction you push with the L-stick.

This means you can "manually" pass... No more passing to a teammate with guys on him in the slot in your own zone when you really want to move it up the boards! I've had some nice bank passes behind the goal to my defensive partner and to spring a forward past a pinching CPU d-man (as they often do when trailing late). Try it out when you need to put the puck into space as opposed to making a direct pass to a teammate...
Mmmmm......delicious tip. Gotta try this one out. It's one of my big beefs with this game. I just love how I can pass to anywhere on the ice and perform bank passes in 2k9 in comparison to 09. Thanks, Qb!
Old 12-08-2008, 09:52 PM   #7
Banned

OVR: 9

yeah awesome tip qb. was just messing around with it and had a few nice plays.

malone sends vinny in alone

EA SPORTS World: burned

Old 12-08-2008, 11:23 PM   #8
Pro

Sweet bank pass, tgalv! I too was able to do a few nice passes like that with this tip. Unfortunately, my game got derailed by the DDE.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »