Home

What is considered SIM basketball???

This is a discussion on What is considered SIM basketball??? within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 11-25-2008, 09:05 AM   #1
Banned

OVR: 21
What is considered SIM basketball???

I need some clarification on this matter, so I have a bud that loves to play run and gun by doing the whole up court passes, not necessarily the full court pass by like FT to FT.

Also he does PnR all the time and leads pass when he needs a bucket in the 4th, of course the CPU is too dumb to knock a simple pass down so he gets easy buckets in the paint (usually with a high rated dunker) is this SIM basketball?

And what is conisdered SIM play?

Is it pulling back out even if you had an advantage b/c of a pass into the paint that shouldn't have made it there in the 1st place?

Please tell me what SIM play is.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-25-2008, 10:12 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: What is considered SIM basketball???

That is the most subjective topic in all of basketball sports world!

On one hand, "cheesing" is considered exploiting some sort of CPU flaw or weakness against other players or the computer.

SIM is considered representing the nuances of realistic basketball that would be played on the court.

The only problem is that in "realistic basketball" you are taught to get the easiest shot available ala scoring in the paint. In real life, its considererd a positive when you dominate in the paint. In video game basketball its considered cheesing because the developers haven't really found a consistent way to moderate the massive amounts of points in the paint by the computer and by "cheesers".

But, realistically, the computer should try to dominate in the paint because its trying imitate what would be naturally the easiest way to score. Even jump shooting teams will gladly dominate the paint if they had the personnel to do so.

Another issue with cheesing is with dominant players like Lebron. THis is the same problem with points in the paint because in real life, these players go nuts. They may not score 81 points every night like Kobe did in a game, but they are certainly dominant. When you play a player online that dominates with a Lebron or so, its considered "cheesing".

Bottom line, there is no answer. Its purely subjective. Each person has their view of basketball and how it should be played; especially on video games.
Old 11-25-2008, 11:10 AM   #3
MVP

bowdown2shadi's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadert
That is the most subjective topic in all of basketball sports world!

On one hand, "cheesing" is considered exploiting some sort of CPU flaw or weakness against other players or the computer.

SIM is considered representing the nuances of realistic basketball that would be played on the court.

The only problem is that in "realistic basketball" you are taught to get the easiest shot available ala scoring in the paint. In real life, its considererd a positive when you dominate in the paint. In video game basketball its considered cheesing because the developers haven't really found a consistent way to moderate the massive amounts of points in the paint by the computer and by "cheesers".

But, realistically, the computer should try to dominate in the paint because its trying imitate what would be naturally the easiest way to score. Even jump shooting teams will gladly dominate the paint if they had the personnel to do so.

Another issue with cheesing is with dominant players like Lebron. THis is the same problem with points in the paint because in real life, these players go nuts. They may not score 81 points every night like Kobe did in a game, but they are certainly dominant. When you play a player online that dominates with a Lebron or so, its considered "cheesing".

Bottom line, there is no answer. Its purely subjective. Each person has their view of basketball and how it should be played; especially on video games.
Old 11-25-2008, 05:13 PM   #4
2K OL Legend

amedawg00's Arena

OVR: 15

Go play a quick rank match online. You'll know what cheesing is without any further explanation. Now, contrast that gameplay online experience with a sim league where there are rules being enforced about whats legal and not.
Old 11-25-2008, 11:24 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 2

Yeah, cheesing is definitely a major problem but it's not going to be rid of. I myself am trying to figure out the best methods of playing "sim basketball" on a video game. Looking for good tactics, plays to run, anything to combat cheesers and be effective in 2K by playing realistic basketball. Can anyone give me tips on this?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-26-2008, 01:08 AM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 7

Sim play is whatever closest replicates a real life NBA game.
Old 11-26-2008, 05:28 AM   #7
Books Nelson Simnation

Bornindamecca's Arena

OVR: 43

Just trying to represent the game and staying away from the game's obvious exploits.

For instance...the pick and roll is the most popular play in basketball on just about every level, so it should be used a lot. In 2k8, the lead pass PnR was broken, so it's not SIM to do that too much, but you can still use the pick and roll to break down the D and explore other options.

Another example...Tony Parker penetrates the lane a lot in real life. He lead the league in PIP one year, and is usually tops, so penetrating with him is SIM. Spinning over and over until you're in the lane is not sim.
Old 11-26-2008, 06:44 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 4

Again, its purely subjective. Everyone has an opinion about what is considered "real" and what isn't.

I know people that think constant pick and rolls are cheesing. I don't agree with that, but they will swear up and down that its an exploit of the game.

I played in Sim Leagues and regular matches online and it still gets iffy. In one sim league, I had Minnesota, but I was scared to keep giving it to Al Jefferon (definitely a beast in the game) because I didn't want to get negative feedback. So I just tried space the ball around and take the open shot..Only thing though, Minnesota isn't a great shooting (or rebounding) team. So for the league that was good, but for me it wasn't realistic.

I played a quick match game against (you guessed it) the Lakers. This guy just wanted to shoot with Kobe for the entire game. Guess what? I didn't mind because I knew where the ball was going and I learned the angles that he takes to get to the basket. I beat him by 24 with the Nuggets and he quit with 3 min. left. That's real to me, because in real life, if the Lakers would have played as reckless as he did, then they would've got blown out for not using all of those wonderful weapons that have!

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »