Home

Thinking of converting from CH2k8

This is a discussion on Thinking of converting from CH2k8 within the NCAA Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Other Basketball Games > NCAA Basketball
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 11-25-2008, 01:22 AM   #1
Pr*

ELDoro's Arena

OVR: 12
Thinking of converting from CH2k8

Well I'm thinking of converting from CH2k8. First I was wanting to hear from those who have actually played CH2k8 whats better about EAs game this season.

I was also wondering if someone could post a video/screens of my favorite team the Dayton Flyers. Are their new jerseys in the game? Is their arena in the game accurate? These are things I would like to know before dishing out the cash

any help would be greatly appreciated!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-25-2008, 05:58 AM   #2
Hall Of Fame

TJdaSportsGuy's Arena

OVR: 69
Re: Thinking of converting from CH2k8

I can help you out a bit here as I absolutely LOVED College Hoops 2K8. Basically, other than better graphics (completely subjective, I know), the only reason to go to NCAA 09 is if you want updated rosters or if you're simply tired of 2K's basketball engine.

I like NCAA 09...I really do. But as I've said in another thread here, there's so many "little things" missing here that 2K absolutely nailed.

The sound in-game is infinitely better in 2K. The crowd/atmosphere is way better in 2K. 2K's career mode is leaps and bounds better than EA's offering, including seemingly obvious features like the ability to view a team's information screen simply by clicking the right thumbstick, whenever you see the team in a schedule or standings screen.

Another thing about NCAA 09 that drives a lot of people nuts (again, already mentioned in another thread) is that the CPU's player names never appear underneath the player. Your own guys' names show up, but disappear after a few seconds.

In summary, it may not sound like it, but I really like NCAA 09 and plan on playing quite a few seasons worth of it's dynasty mode. But I often times find myself wanting it to be more like 2K8.

Last edited by TJdaSportsGuy; 11-25-2008 at 06:03 AM.
Old 11-25-2008, 07:51 AM   #3
Rookie

mistershadez's Arena

OVR: 8

The biggest difference EA has going for them over CH is the floor spacing and the ability to generate open shots. The superfast defensive AI isn't in NCAA09 like CH.

Gameplay and graphics are better. But the dynasty options have alot to be desired. Enjoy the quick snapshots below:

Old 11-25-2008, 09:28 AM   #4
Pr*

ELDoro's Arena

OVR: 12

Thanks for the replies and definately the pictures! Does look like they have the new jerseys in there and their UD Arena isnt 100% right on but closer than 2Ks UD Arena (frown because I heard from an inside source before 2k9 was canceled that UD Arena would be one of the new authentic arenas)

I have found a new 09 roster for CH2k8 that is pretty good with freshmen for most of the larger conferences and the "spacing" problem never really bothered me.

I'm not sure I'm too high on some of EAs player models.32 looks like he needs to eat...he has stick arms and one table for press row?

Anyhow I think I might rent it to check it out.
Old 11-25-2008, 09:30 AM   #5
ehh
Hall Of Fame

ehh's Arena

OVR: 44

Easiest way for me to sum it up is...

On the court NCAA 09 is better, off the court (features, legacy, etc) 2K8 is better by a long shot. Which game you prefer all depends on what is important to an individual gamer.

I've also mentioned several times on here that if you're not tired/sick of 2K8 then it's a no brainer to stick with it this winter.

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas." - Warren Buffet
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-25-2008, 11:16 AM   #6
Rookie

tfin1212's Arena

OVR: 4

If you want updated rosters...NCAA 09

If you want a better game for Career Mode...2K!

I wish everyday that there was a 2K9 even though I am enjoying NCAA. I miss the Legacy Mode soooooo much. Create-A-Recruit, the stat tracking, school records, the menus, being able to change players' shooting form, the summer camps, create-a-play, practice mode......

Oh how I wish there were a 2K9!
Old 11-25-2008, 12:43 PM   #7
Pro

MBMavs20's Arena

OVR: 6

I was a big college basketball fan growing up, but not so much when it came to video games. I had Coach K for sega genesis, and enjoyed the hell out of it. (St. John's alumni, so playing with Felipe Lopez was cool). I played college hoops 2K3 for PS2, and thought it was ok. I also played March Madness 2004, and loved it. I won a National Championship with Canisius (31-1) then took over Indiana St. and won another championship (32-0). Unrealistic? Absolutely, but it was fun.

The next 4 March Madness games were basically all the same, and they just collected dust. I never played them. I bought CH 2K8 for PS2 last year, but I couldn't get into it. It was deep, and the selection show was fun, but I couldn't get into the gameplay.

This year will be my first jump into the next gen basketball scene. I will be getting NCAA 2009, because I think the graphics look great, and from all the impressions on OS, the gameplay is good too. I like the spacing, something you could never get on MM on a PS2. I don't mind the dynasty mode isn't that deep.

With my PS2, I would get a blank NCAA bracket, and write down all the seeds and records of the teams in the tourney, so I don't mind if the game doesn't do it for me. I like the fact they have more pre-season tournaments, and the post season NIT is cool. ( I interned there in college back in 1994, and got to meet Kerry Kittles, Brian McCaffrey (when he was at Vanderbilt, etc..)

From what everyone is saying about 2K8, I think I will pick up a copy of that as well, and see if I like it. Why not have 2 good college titles?

ELDoro, please don't take this the wrong way, but does it really matter that Dayton only has 1 press table on the side of the court? That's nitpicking just a tad. :-)

Great work on the forum guys, with a shout out to behindshadows, Ehh, and countryboy for their insights. I am actually looking forward to picking up NCAA 2009, and starting my dynasty.

Great videos behindshadows! Made it easier for me to decide to pick up both NCAA 2009 and CH 2k8.
Old 11-25-2008, 02:16 PM   #8
Banned

OVR: 17

Based on my own objective opinions and to be brutally honest without pulling punches, I cant even enjoy NCAA Basketball 2009 anymore....and I am trying hard to justify my purchase.

I own both CH 2K8 and NCAA Basketball 2009 and I dont think the experiences are a close comparison.

What everyone has said here, I agree....the Dynasty mode is just so much deeper and more robust in every way for CH 2K8.

You can play any team's game in Dynasty mode

Team Scouting Reports and deep analysis capabilities

Much more sortable and clickable info on Players , teams, streaks, past performances

But contrary to what a few people have mentioned here, is I actually still find the on the court gameplay more satisfying in CH2K then I do in NCAA 09. Other then the better spacing and ball movement in EA's game, I think the rest of the gameplay is inferior. I find many of the animations dissjointed and lacking fluidity.

I find that the player performances in EA's game lack a certain depth and result in oversimplified outcomes. It feels as if the gameplay engine isnt factoring in as many variables as CH 2K8. Players will also get vacuum locked into these sticky defensive canned animations that ruin the flow of control. Offensive rebounding is almost non existant. And there is no factor of player chemistry when grouped with different squads on the floor

Of course, CH2K8 has some gameplay issues too which I believe have been pointed out such as the artificially aggressive Defense on open man situations that make it difficult to spread the ball around and pop it to the wide open forgotten player. And the cupcake teams seem to play just as aggresively and artifically competitively as the A+ schools which will create very similar experiences with various matchups

However, considering both game's strengths and weaknesses, I still find that CH2K8 players the better all around game when you factor in the gameplay, presentation, depth and realism, dynasty experience,and total immersion factor.

I have reloaded my dynasty from last year and picked right back up with it in enjoyment while I have spent the last several days trying to justify getting some sense of satisfaction out of NCAA 09. For me, the reviews around the web are spot on! This game is in the low 70s at best.....While College Hoops is in the low to mid 80s.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Other Basketball Games > NCAA Basketball »