Home

Big men laying it in underneath in situations where it should be a dunk

This is a discussion on Big men laying it in underneath in situations where it should be a dunk within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 11-24-2008, 05:01 PM   #1
MVP

GaryT531's Arena

OVR: 19
Big men laying it in underneath in situations where it should be a dunk

Too often in my opinion there are times where big guys like Shaq, Amare, Oden, etc just lay the ball in right underneath the basket when it should be a dunk.

I use the right trigger w/the shot stick to try to make the dunk happen, and I still get a layup. I use nogster/portland's rosters, and future's sliders. All Star difficulty.

I heard that dunks have been toned down to prevent cheesing, and I believe it. But what I'm saying is when I catch an offensive rebound with Shaq, and he's right underneath the rim, I want to see his two handed throwdown that he would do in a real game. know what I'm saying?

It seems like a player only gets a dunk when they have momentum moving toward the basket. They're harder to come by when a player is standing still.

What do you guys think? Any info is appreciated. Thanks.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-24-2008, 05:52 PM   #2
MVP

Kaanyr Vhok's Arena

OVR: 14
Re: Big men laying it in underneath in situations where it should be a dunk

Its hard to say. On one hand I see certain instances like you describe on the other hand all of those guys you named only dunk two or three times a game. Most of their shots in the paint are layups.
Old 11-24-2008, 05:57 PM   #3
All Star

DakkoN's Arena

OVR: 37

Raise standing dunk ratings. Shaq/Amare/Dwight/Bynum should all be 99's if they are not already. Other bigs that flat footed dunk from time to time should be 75.
Old 11-24-2008, 07:07 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 26

whats the dunk slider at?
Old 11-24-2008, 07:10 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DakkoN
Raise standing dunk ratings. Shaq/Amare/Dwight/Bynum should all be 99's if they are not already. Other bigs that flat footed dunk from time to time should be 75.
The rating doesnt matter if youre under the basket. If youre under the basket and go forward with the shotstick the player will just jump backward and lay it in, and if you go right or left theyll lay it in on the direction you push. If youre under the basket they wont dunk ever. You basically have to have momentum when you catch it and thats also a problem in the halfcourt because there really isnt a drive and dish game in 2k9 even with the help defence at 99, if your big catches it itll be outside the lane instead of them recognizing the drive and going to the rim.

But back to my point, there really is no way to do a standstill dunk when close to the rim unless you have momentum which comes with 1 dribble and go up, but by that time a defender recovers so it can be annoying that way.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-24-2008, 07:21 PM   #6
All Star

OVR: 21

When using that roster/slider combination it is pretty rare to see dunks imo. I know there's a big concern with dunks among the hyper-realists, but the athleticism seems too turned down at times when using certain roster/slider combos. I tried out Aaron's sliders w/default rosters awhile back and while I thought the steals were tuned too high the game plays a lot less deliberate, seemed less subdued. It really just comes down to what kind of experience you're looking for. There are lots of combinations of customization options that can be used to tweak the game experience to your preference

XBL gamertag: d0meBreaker22 (that's a zero)

congrats Steelers, city of Pittsburgh, and Steeler Nation - SIX TIME WORLD CHAMPS
Old 11-24-2008, 07:32 PM   #7
All Star

DakkoN's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriller92
The rating doesnt matter if youre under the basket.
That's what the rating is for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriller92
If youre under the basket they wont dunk ever. You basically have to have momentum when you catch it

But back to my point, there really is no way to do a standstill dunk when close to the rim unless you have momentum which comes with 1 dribble and go up, but by that time a defender recovers so it can be annoying that way.
I don't know what you're talking about, but I have definitely done plenty of straight up dunks with no dribble or forward momentum. Right trigger + Turbo with no movement with Shaq, Amare, and KG dunks seemingly at will for me with Nogster's rosters when deep in the paint or after an offensive rebound..
Old 11-24-2008, 08:12 PM   #8
Rookie

t216's Arena

OVR: 6

In addition to that, I really hate when the CPU keep on shooting

fade away three's. Anyway to work around this as well?

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »