Home

signature running styles?

This is a discussion on signature running styles? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 11-20-2008, 05:16 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 10
signature running styles?

i hear this talked about and im trying to understand it better does this mean when the player runs the animation is like the player running down the field? if that is it it is kinda pointless unless it also counts the way the player jukes and such. i had a idea if they do bring in sig running styles lets say your using AP now when you press the juke button left or right it isnt a juke but APs signature shudder move like he really does. also i think they should allow diagonal presses as seperate moves instead of just up down left and right
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-20-2008, 05:24 PM   #2
Rookie

davjaffe's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: signature running styles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeStrangeSin
i hear this talked about and im trying to understand it better does this mean when the player runs the animation is like the player running down the field? if that is it it is kinda pointless unless it also counts the way the player jukes and such. i had a idea if they do bring in sig running styles lets say your using AP now when you press the juke button left or right it isnt a juke but APs signature shudder move like he really does. also i think they should allow diagonal presses as seperate moves instead of just up down left and right
I like your idea about the signature moves, but I think it would end up being a bad thing if AP *only* had shoulder shakes (to the exclusion of more tradtional jukes). I think it would add a lot to the "Real NFL Feel" of the game. In fact, I think signature running styles would be great, in general. I would love to see LT stop on a dime in-game and look just like the real LT. Or see some of Westbrook's fluid cuts, or MJD's low-to-the ground style. I'm crossing my fingers on this one, fo' sho'.

Also, I think the 'diagonal' cuts would be a nice addition as well. I envision them kind of like the old "quick cuts" that I used to love on "last-gen" - you know, the the ones you coud make by pressing the trigger buttons lightly. Also, I just saw an old video of NFL 2K5's "right stick cuts" - the way you could combo those on-field moves by making special movements of the joystick looked really cool - almost like a Street Fighter type of feel to it. I'm not suggesting Madden lift those directly, but they seem like a good source of inspiration.

Nevertheless, unless the O-Line/run-blocking issues are ironed out (add drive blocking and smarter pulling blockers and lead blockers PLEASE!) I'm not so sure the addition of signature running styles will help much.

I am hopeful, though - Ian said he and the other developers are kicking around some cool concepts, ideas, and thoughts on how to improve the ground game. Make it happen, guys! We all want 2010 to be great.
Old 11-21-2008, 12:59 AM   #3
Banned

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by davjaffe
I like your idea about the signature moves, but I think it would end up being a bad thing if AP *only* had shoulder shakes (to the exclusion of more tradtional jukes). I think it would add a lot to the "Real NFL Feel" of the game. In fact, I think signature running styles would be great, in general. I would love to see LT stop on a dime in-game and look just like the real LT. Or see some of Westbrook's fluid cuts, or MJD's low-to-the ground style. I'm crossing my fingers on this one, fo' sho'.

Also, I think the 'diagonal' cuts would be a nice addition as well. I envision them kind of like the old "quick cuts" that I used to love on "last-gen" - you know, the the ones you coud make by pressing the trigger buttons lightly. Also, I just saw an old video of NFL 2K5's "right stick cuts" - the way you could combo those on-field moves by making special movements of the joystick looked really cool - almost like a Street Fighter type of feel to it. I'm not suggesting Madden lift those directly, but they seem like a good source of inspiration.

Nevertheless, unless the O-Line/run-blocking issues are ironed out (add drive blocking and smarter pulling blockers and lead blockers PLEASE!) I'm not so sure the addition of signature running styles will help much.

I am hopeful, though - Ian said he and the other developers are kicking around some cool concepts, ideas, and thoughts on how to improve the ground game. Make it happen, guys! We all want 2010 to be great.
i have seen that 2k5 video i love using the right stick for jukes you could make some really amazing runs. also i think madden needs to bring back the old controlls of using the R2 and L2 as juke right and left and same with stiff arm i hate knowing that they took those out its lame because the right stick now acts as that. it should just be a juke system i hate trucking make trucking the triangle button like it should be. or for power runners make right stick up trucking and for more elite back make it a stutter you really dont see LT trucking on the field he moves around them
Old 12-18-2008, 03:23 PM   #4
Rookie

davjaffe's Arena

Was wondering if there had been any recent news on this front?

I remember there was a sticky started by Ian on this general topic, but I felt like that kind of devolved into a thread completely filled with requests for people's favorite player-specific celebration. I think Madden would benefit greatly if the signature styles went deeper than that, a la the recent Live 09 and NBA 2K9 games. To name a just a few RBs off the top of my head, guys like Peterson, Addai, Thomas Jones, and Michael Turner (among others) seem to have unique, distinctive, identifiable ways of running, cutting, breaking tackles, etc. that (at least in my eyes) are noticeably different from the more generic styles we've been seeing in Madden thus far. It's nice that big backs and small backs are already treated somewhat differently in the game, but I think there should be even more differentiation and finer detail. This would, I believe, lend a great deal of "NFL feel" to the game, just as would signature throwing styles and other signature-type animations (e.g. Dwight Freeney's super-compact spin move).

Just my two cents. Hope I'm not the only one who feels this way.
Old 12-18-2008, 07:18 PM   #5
Rookie

Blkcanes's Arena

OVR: 8

Well I do not know about everybody else but Adrian Peterson deserve his signature style of running he never runs away from contact he's able to lower his shoulder greatly for somebody his height.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-18-2008, 07:34 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 27

I'm really crossing my fingers for this one and QB sig styles. If the auto-replays are right, this will add another dimension of authenticity to the game.

I'd like to make a suggestion too... I think sig styles should of course be attached to specific players, but I think it would also be cool if there was a bank of sig styles that could be assigned to other players. In All Pro Football, I believe you could assign the Roger Craig highstep or the Walter Payton scizzor kick to other players.
Old 12-20-2008, 01:53 PM   #7
Rookie

davjaffe's Arena

I think Peterson definitely deserves his own running style. However, there are at lot more guys who deserve one too.

I understand that differences between the NFL and the NBA (namely, the vastly greater number of NFL players) would make it impractical to have a system as deep as those in the NBA games. (Since it doesn't seem likely to get guys like Peterson, TO, Ladainian, etc. into the mo-cap suits themselves, EA would probably need a small army of mo-cap actors of varying builds and body types, all with a great talent for physical mimicry). However, the number of

But, really, there aren't that many "skill" players in the NFL with quickly recognizable signature styles. I hope we could at least get some of them in the game. Or, at the very least, we could get some more variation beyond "big back v. small back" - maybe a few different types of each, for starters.

I'm crossing my fingers.
Old 12-20-2008, 02:39 PM   #8
MVP

BezO's Arena

OVR: 20

I'm all for signature running styles.

I would like EA to implement a juke system similar to NBA 2K where you hold a trigger to activate crossovers/jukes and control them with the sticks. It would be a more manual method and would require realistic plants, momentum, ect, but I think folks would enjoy the jukes being more involved. And it will provide ultimate control over juking. We could faint one way & go the other; faint left, right and go back left; faint, faint, faint and so on.

And I'd like a truck button that doesn't double as a juke button for smaller backs. Even smaller backs try to get the extra yard sometimes. I've seen Warrick Dunn put his head down many times.

My controller set up would be: 4 face buttons control dipping the shoulder(tap to break tackle), spin(tap to spin out of a tackle), hurdle & dive; left/right bumpers control left/right stiff arms(tap to break tackle); left trigger activates shoulder faints; right trigger activates more pronounced jukes. And stick movement alone would control regular movement including realistic plants, prep steps, ect.

And I'd settle for groups of "signature" styles. Long strides, "normal" strides, choppy steps, smooth form, sloppy form, upright, ect. A combination of these could individualize each player. Larry Johnson could be a long striding, sloppy upright runner for example. AP could be normal, smooth & upright. Jamal Lewis could be choppy & smooth.

Last edited by BezO; 12-20-2008 at 02:45 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »