Home

IAN -- Two simple ways to improve on passing

This is a discussion on IAN -- Two simple ways to improve on passing within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 11-18-2008, 02:24 PM   #1
Pro

Bballplaya72's Arena

OVR: 9
IAN -- Two simple ways to improve on passing

Ian I posted this earlier, just hoping to get your opinion on it.

I have been thinking of a few ways to make the passing game and pocket better. My two ideas:

To throw the ball away in the vicinity of the receiver when you're in the pocket, you would hold left trigger and press the corresponding button to throw the ball away and not get called for grounding.

Also, how many times do we go to pass to somebody that we think is open, only at the last second see the defender. Well, how about say you press X, or whatever receiver button and at the last second see a defender in zone coverage on him. What if you double tapped X or w/e button and your QB would kind of pump fake, going to throw the ball only to see at the last second a defender is there and pull the ball back.

I think both of these suggestions could help improve the passing game and make the game a bit more realistic.

Thoughts?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-20-2008, 05:05 PM   #2
Pro

Bballplaya72's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: IAN -- Two simple ways to improve on passing

Can I get a damn response lol
Old 11-20-2008, 05:29 PM   #3
MVP

BezO's Arena

OVR: 20

I dig both of these. I've recommended the throw away function before, but the pump fake to a specific receiver with a double tap is also a very good idea.
Old 11-20-2008, 06:48 PM   #4
All Star

SoxFan01605's Arena

OVR: 38

I agree. To add on the double tap idea, I'd like to see maybe a greater risk for the ball slipping out if you try and pull back the initial attempt too late. Nothing crazy, just a slight increase in probability, especially if being hit while in this animation. Also on throwaways, I still want the basic one left in. That way if you panic or are in a rush the chance for grounding is still a threat. I like you. Great ideas!
Old 11-20-2008, 06:51 PM   #5
Farewell and 'ado

DocHolliday's Arena

OVR: 19

Ehhh. C+ on ideas.

One has already been implemented in "that other game", and the other one with throwing the ball away, who really cares.

A pocket and DEs that get up field like real people would be a start for this game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-20-2008, 07:22 PM   #6
Banned

OVR: 12

I don't think I ever threw the ball away in any football game. Except maybe in a practice game to see what buttons do what.

The pump fake in "the other game" is perfect. You pump fake by double tapping the button of the receiver you want to throw it to. It sometimes even screws with the D and makes them go to that receiver and opens up the other receiver. I can't believe Madden does not have this feature already. It's basic.
Old 11-21-2008, 10:29 AM   #7
MVP

OVR: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImagiNationFreak
The pump fake in "the other game" is perfect. You pump fake by double tapping the button of the receiver you want to throw it to. It sometimes even screws with the D and makes them go to that receiver and opens up the other receiver. I can't believe Madden does not have this feature already. It's basic.
I disagree with you here - I personally don't believe the double tap pump fake is a good mechanic. There are NUMEROUS times in 2k when I've tapped the button in a haste since I'm about to get sacked and ended up pump faking.

I've thought about changing it up this year to somehow make it directional...but I haven't decided on a mechanic. Something like LT + the button is kind of complicated you know? It's not bad...but it's not great. Did any of you play NCAA last year? What did you think about the R-stick directional pump fake?

As for the OP's idea of the receiver-based throw away, that seems just a bit too complex to me my man...mainly since it's probably not the best idea to add complexity to a control that no one really uses anyway. I'd rather just make throw-away do that automatically based on the AWR of your QB instead of making it a user-controlled thing. Thoughts on that?
Old 11-21-2008, 10:43 AM   #8
MVP

DrUrsus's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Cummings_EA
I disagree with you here - I personally don't believe the double tap pump fake is a good mechanic. There are NUMEROUS times in 2k when I've tapped the button in a haste since I'm about to get sacked and ended up pump faking.

As for the OP's idea of the receiver-based throw away, that seems just a bit too complex to me my man...mainly since it's probably not the best idea to add complexity to a control that no one really uses anyway. I'd rather just make throw-away do that automatically based on the AWR of your QB instead of making it a user-controlled thing. Thoughts on that?
I agree with both of these points whole heartedly.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »