Home

Questions About NCAA08 Football for Original XBOX

This is a discussion on Questions About NCAA08 Football for Original XBOX within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 11-05-2008, 03:00 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 6
Questions About NCAA08 Football for Original XBOX

I own NCAA 06 and 07 for Original XBOX. I am considering buying NCAA 08 for Original XBOX. My questions are:

1. Does 08 support QB Auto Throw?

2. How does 08 compare with 07 or 06?

Thanks,

Art
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-05-2008, 05:25 PM   #2
Pro

asu666's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: Questions About NCAA08 Football for Original XBOX

The QB will act on his own if you snap the ball and do not input anything else on the controller. The big additions to 08 was trick plays, expanded rosters, and better training drills. I still feel that NCAA 08 on Xbox is the best college football game on the market right now. Even more than the new 360 or PS3 versions.
Old 11-05-2008, 05:27 PM   #3
MVP

Young J 334's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by asu666
The QB will act on his own if you snap the ball and do not input anything else on the controller. The big additions to 08 was trick plays, expanded rosters, and better training drills. I still feel that NCAA 08 on Xbox is the best college football game on the market right now. Even more than the new 360 or PS3 versions.
I will give the edge to NCAA 05 for original XBOX. Some of today's NFL greats were in that game!!! What a game. I still play it every now and again. if u want some trick plays use South Carolina's playbook. They have reverses, WR passes, HB passes and a few flea flickers

Old 11-05-2008, 05:51 PM   #4
Pro

Thanks to you both for your info.

I'll get the 08 version just to compare playabiity with 06 and 07.

I have NCAA 04, 05, 06, and 07.

I did not play 05 as much as the other versions.

Your comment in support of 05 as the best version is the first time I have seen anyone say that 05 was the best. Can you provide additional comments about why you prefer 05?

I also have a 360, but so far, none of the NCAA versions support Coach Mode playing style, so I'll continue to enjoy the original versions. I don't think EA made an 09 version for the original XBOX - please let me know if it is available.

Thanks,

Art
Old 11-11-2008, 08:47 AM   #5
Banned

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art01
Thanks to you both for your info.

I'll get the 08 version just to compare playabiity with 06 and 07.
08 also has QB Avoidance on the right analog stick and receiver direct when you are scrambling. This right analog stick control is helpful. You can send receivers in specific directions while scrambling outside to either block to find space for a last second pass.

Another difference of 08 compared to 07 on Original Xbox is the lateral is much better programmed. Players are much better at catching laterals in this game and also better at picking up fumbles in this game when compared to 08.

I'll have to pick up 05 for Original Xbox. I played 04, 05 and 06 on PS2. And I've played 06, 07 and 08 on Original Xbox.

I must say I find the Original Xbox games play much smoother and the colours looks much more vibrant and less grainy when compared to the PS2 versions of the game.

NCAA Football 08 for Original Xbox will likely be the last college football game I ever buy.

It's the last year before they took away the 25 second clock and the clock stopping when running out of bounds.

This game has all the traditional rules, with the only change from 07 to 08 is that now kickoffs are from the 30.

But as momentum grows and you score and kick extra points and punts, your kickers / punters are able to kick it farther.

Oh yeah, this game has even more trick plays than 07. 08 also has some new individual defensive player hot routes.

When you get 08 for OG Xbox, check the new controls guide for offense and defense. Kirk Herbstreit will explain the control in greater detail. Basically you can do smart zones that guard the first down line. You can do QB contains with D-ends and D-tackles. Meaning instead of attacking straight ahead they'll try to go arund the guards and tackles. It really adds to the strategy.

You can also block field goals in this game. You could block them too in 07, but field goal blocks are a little bit easier in 08 and much more exciting and with better collision detection.

NCAA Football 08 for Original Xbox is the last great college football game. This game is so refined, has such depth in gameplay.

The gameplay on heisman is great. A few tweaks to the sliders, keeping user and CPU levels even always makes for a very realistic gameplay experience.

I've been up****** rosters from last season to this season in this game.

I wanna get some playoffs brackets going in this game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-11-2008, 08:45 PM   #6
Pro

Thanks PSU-DW2 for your thoughts.

I play all football games in "Coach Mode" style, so I don't control the QB. I have not bought any NCAA versions for the 360 because none of them support CM or QB Auto Throw.

I am experimenting with Sliders and Difficulty Levels in 08. I like to play low scoring defensive games, which is always hard to accomplish in any NCAA version. I have reduced the Interception Sliders to Zero in Heisman Level and I have increased Running Back/Blocking levels in the hope that I can convince the CPU to play my style ball.

Many people express frustration with these games. I just treat the issue as a challenge to make the game play the way I want it to play.

Why do you rate 05 as the best version? Are you saying that 05 is better than 08 as well?

Thanks again,

Art
Old 11-11-2008, 09:30 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 2

I'm a little surprised there's been so little mention in this thread of the supposed major flaws that the 08 version has...every other time this game has come up before everyone states that the broken pursuit angles and the automatic field goals ruin the game. Do those of you with such positive experiences with 08 find a work-around for these flaws, or do you just learn to cope?
Old 11-12-2008, 10:02 PM   #8
Pro

I have observed the poor pursuit angles and the high number of interceptions. I have not found a direct cure for either issue. However, I may have found a way to effectively neutralize these issues by minimizing the number of opportunities for them to arise.

I am still experimenting with Heisman and I am having success creating low scoring games with few long outside runs or kick returns and a low number of interceptions. I will publish my sliders tomorrow when I turn the game on again. I am finding that in my mode of play, Momentum swings are more realistic and have less total impact on the game. My overall strategy is to force the CPU to play against me in a more realistic manner and I believe I am having a reasonable amount of success.

Please keep in mind that I am playing Coach Mode, so I do not control any players on the field, with the exception of my Punt Returner, who never calls a Fair Catch on his own, so I must occasionally do so to prevent fumbles. Of course, it's not true CM because I must also snap the ball and control kicks.

I am enjoying 08 for original XBOX at this time. I play as Alabama and I have made a few changes to player ratings to reinforce the running game. I play against top teams, use 8 minute quarters, and I usually play AWAY, either in their stadium with Home Field Advantage On, or on a neutral field with Home Field Advantage Off. I have played five games in a row with the total score less than 40 points and all games decided deep in the 4th quarter, with the final score being less than a TD delta.

Art

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »