Home

Madden 20-10: Resurrection of the 'User Catch'

This is a discussion on Madden 20-10: Resurrection of the 'User Catch' within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 09-18-2008, 02:04 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 10
Madden 20-10: Resurrection of the 'User Catch'

Okay time for me to spill my guts.

I was recently in the the "warping" thread where the issue of catching was being discussed, so i thought why not share my ideas.

Catching:

It was said that a problem ( for whatever reason) with creating and allowing a multitude of catches is that Madden has a legacy of letting players go and get just about any pass.

"If you would be willing to trade user control over the path of your receiver, but still have to time your catch manually or you miss the catch, and it opened up MASSIVE variety (I mean you won't see the same catch twice in the same game) AND it totally eliminated warping, and it let us choose perfect catches that fit the skill of the player and the game situation visually.. would you kill us, or like the realism it gives you?" - Simon Sherr

I don't fully understand the reason for that problem, but what i would like to suggest is that the route be 'locked in' so to speak until the final cut of the route. After that final cut the user could have full control of the movement to attack the ball how they choose. Hopefully this would allow EA to narrow down the situation and broaden the number of animations ( homefully VASTLY) for that situation.

Another thing i feel would be beneficial would be two circles when attempting to catch the ball. One a bit further away for attempting acrobatic catches that will often leave the player off balance and are generally high risk and another that would be for catches in stride that are a much lower risk.

For the safer catches it would be a matter of timing the tap of the catch button, the more accurate the button press the more in stride the catch will be. Of course the better the player the bigger the window is for a smooth catch.

As far as the acrobatic catches, it would be a matter of holding the button down to simulate gathering for the jump for the catch. The acrobatic catch circle would would be further away the higher the players jumping ability allowing for there to be an advantage for those types of players.

The defense would have the very same circles available to them. They could jump to swat or intercept the ball, or choose to try to take the ball back the other way for 6 with a 'pic' in stride. Ratings would effect this appropriately.

Next thing i'm going to mouth off about is momentum, altho it is more evident this year, i still have some things in mind.

OS? Ian? What do you guys think?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-18-2008, 04:42 PM   #2
Banned

sois's Arena

OVR: 24
Re: Madden 20-10: Resurrection of the 'User Catch'

Locking the route is interesting. I'd like to see a poll of how many people actually use "user catch". I never do. I let the receiver do that. If he is good, he will catch it. If not, he will mess something up.
Old 09-18-2008, 04:45 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 21

For me, it depends on the situation. If it's a bullet pass, I usually just let the AI catch it because there isn't enough time to switch players and then hit the catch button. If it's a lob pass or one where I need the receiver's positioning to be good, I'll try to grab it myself.
Old 09-18-2008, 05:00 PM   #4
Most Valuable Pepe

baumy300's Arena

OVR: 40

We need user catching like in NCAA.

The lack of WR's being able to jump is a game killer for me. It really is.
It makes me sad
I post the frog
Old 09-18-2008, 06:00 PM   #5
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by baumy300
We need user catching like in NCAA.

The lack of WR's being able to jump is a game killer for me. It really is.

You aint lyin, NCAA really has the last gen madden feel to it with the user catches which i really love.

But my idea was for the sake of improved realism yet still keeping the ability for the user to make plays.

Personally i would like to 'user' in most 1 on 1 situations, but in 09, for the most part, that's not a reality.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-18-2008, 11:33 PM   #6
Banned

150 views and 3 opinions. . . c'mon lol
Old 09-18-2008, 11:58 PM   #7
Pro

OVR: 16

Great ideas. I really like the one about the circles-that would be cool.
Old 09-19-2008, 12:45 AM   #8
Banned

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by StonesRunIt
Okay time for me to spill my guts.

I was recently in the the "warping" thread where the issue of catching was being discussed, so i thought why not share my ideas.

Catching:

It was said that a problem ( for whatever reason) with creating and allowing a multitude of catches is that Madden has a legacy of letting players go and get just about any pass.

"If you would be willing to trade user control over the path of your receiver, but still have to time your catch manually or you miss the catch, and it opened up MASSIVE variety (I mean you won't see the same catch twice in the same game) AND it totally eliminated warping, and it let us choose perfect catches that fit the skill of the player and the game situation visually.. would you kill us, or like the realism it gives you?" - Simon Sherr

I don't fully understand the reason for that problem, but what i would like to suggest is that the route be 'locked in' so to speak until the final cut of the route. After that final cut the user could have full control of the movement to attack the ball how they choose. Hopefully this would allow EA to narrow down the situation and broaden the number of animations ( homefully VASTLY) for that situation.

Another thing i feel would be beneficial would be two circles when attempting to catch the ball. One a bit further away for attempting acrobatic catches that will often leave the player off balance and are generally high risk and another that would be for catches in stride that are a much lower risk.

For the safer catches it would be a matter of timing the tap of the catch button, the more accurate the button press the more in stride the catch will be. Of course the better the player the bigger the window is for a smooth catch.

As far as the acrobatic catches, it would be a matter of holding the button down to simulate gathering for the jump for the catch. The acrobatic catch circle would would be further away the higher the players jumping ability allowing for there to be an advantage for those types of players.

The defense would have the very same circles available to them. They could jump to swat or intercept the ball, or choose to try to take the ball back the other way for 6 with a 'pic' in stride. Ratings would effect this appropriately.

Next thing i'm going to mouth off about is momentum, altho it is more evident this year, i still have some things in mind.

OS? Ian? What do you guys think?
Wow! EA should fly you in, and let you oversee how all this implemented. I love your ideas. One thing I think would be cool, is to expand on your idea of "gathering" for your jump. Maybe have a meter that fills up while holding down the jump button. Make this a circle around the player that fills up while holding down the button. Implement this meter for both the WR and DB, as this would be a good battle in online play to see who can time their jump the best. Just thinking out loud here, but I love your ideas.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »