Home

Just Cause 2

This is a discussion on Just Cause 2 within the Non-Sports Gaming forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Non-Sports Gaming
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 01-03-2008, 02:38 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 21
Just Cause 2

Avalanche Studios has started talking about the sequel to its third-person open island title Just Cause (PC, PS2, Xbox, Xbox 360), which will be arriving on PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.

"You'll begin the game with nothing but your Cuban heels and a winning smile," explained lead designer Peter Johansson. "We wanted to make better use of our huge game world, enhance the stunts, improve the combat and reward exploration more."

Word of the PlayStation 3 version comes from CVG's coverage of magazine PSW's preview, while the existence of the Xbox 360 edition was confirmed by NeoGAF's ever-reliable snoopers, who noted a similar preview in France's Official Xbox Magazine.

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/50573

A PC version is also possible, though it has not been officially announced.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-03-2008, 02:39 PM   #2
MVP

Re: Just Cause 2

Old 01-03-2008, 03:25 PM   #3
Older

luv_mist's Arena

OVR: 33

It looks pretty solid. Of course, I didn't really like the movement of the first game's demo. I think I'll try and give it another try eventually. Graphics do look quite appealing.
Old 01-29-2008, 03:16 PM   #4
Bang-bang! Down-down!

Flawless's Arena

OVR: 28

Just Cause 2 First Look

Quote:
All these additions would likely be meaningless for some without major work on the game's mission structure, however. To that end, Avalanche has reduced the amount of dead space on its new island and dropped the original's myriad uninspired side-missions, opting for a new 'Chaos'-based system. Creating chaos causes the island's many factions to grow in strength, meaning it's possible to storm government strongholds with help from powerful allied factions. With a stronghold secured, an area of influence grows around it, opening up new opportunities, information and prospective employees.

How you create chaos is entirely up to you and you can either work with factions or on your own. Just Cause 2 features over 1,000 different smaller activities to complement larger missions, all designed to create increased unrest. You might want to steal military transportation, assassinate military official or even destroy significant strategic installations – the choice is yours. It's even possible to undertake these smaller activities while you're working toward completely larger story goals.
Just Cause 2 Q&A

Quote:
IGN: What improvements can we expect in terms of combat and AI this time around? Can you give specific examples of how this will work in the game?

Peter Johansson: The AI has been completely rewritten for Just Cause 2. It now uses a sophisticated planning system that enables enemies to do all sorts of new tricks. For example, enemies will use the environment more tactically, taking cover behind objects, adapting dynamically to the objects around them. They will use team communication and call for reinforcements, such as parachute units and attack choppers, plus they'll stand guard around important objects and installations, returning to guard posts if you run away. Additionally, enemies in vehicles can now lean out from vehicles to shoot at you during car chases, plus if you stay still out in the open enemies' shots will quickly get more accurate, thus depleting your health faster. As a result combat it's much more advanced this time around, forcing you to keep moving, evade and actively use cover.

Another cool feature of our planning AI is that we can tell any NPC to go to any point in the world and define a preference to use a specific vehicle type. They'll then go off and find their own way there, even if they start on the other side of the world. This opens up some really interesting opportunities for missions.

The Hybrid Locking System is new too and helps you to quickly aim at enemies while leaving you in full control of the crosshair, so you're rewarded for skillful manual aiming. It also enables you to pinpoint specific limbs so you can get that perfect headshot or force an enemy to the ground by shooting their kneecaps.

Just Cause 2 also has an Adaptive Difficulty System now. As the game is so non-linear, difficulty gradually scales depending on what you've done before in the game. For example, a mission that takes place later in the game, after you've created a lot of chaos, will always be more difficult because the government gets more desperate and heightens security at installations.
Quote:
IGN: What improvements can we expect in terms of visuals this time around?

Peter Johansson: The Avalanche Engine 2.0 is no longer held back by having to be compatible with last generation hardware. There are improvements all over – higher resolution textures, more detailed characters and vehicles, a new animation system and so on. Moving seamlessly between these different environments, without any delay for loading, is quite a unique feeling.
Old 02-06-2008, 02:19 PM   #5
MVP

Rico Rodriguez is back in Just Cause 2, and he's brought his parachute along for the ride.
By Luke Anderson, GameSpot UK
Posted Feb 6, 2008 3:06 am PT

Just Cause created a massive, island-based gameworld and threw in parachute-based action to a mixed reaction from critics. The ability to travel with your parachute was supplemented by stealing vehicles GTA-style, as well as some visceral third-person action.

Confident that the gaming public is ready for another dose of unadulterated carnage, publisher Eidos has announced Just Cause 2, which promises more of the same mayhem as the first instalment, but with gameplay improvements and enhanced skills. We recently sat down with Eidos and were shown some video footage and screenshots of the upcoming game, which appears to be shaping up nicely.

Just Cause 2 will feature more of the improbable fun that featured in the first game, this time with a Pacific taste.

Rico Rodriguez, the protagonist from Just Cause, is back. He's survived death-defying adventures in the Caribbean, lived to tell the tale and is heading off to another island. But it's not San Esperito; it's a smaller, more "jam-packed" island, according to Eidos. The fictitious island of Panau, with its blend of Pacific, Thai, and various other Asian flavours, will offer plenty of distractions for those who just want to explore.

In Just Cause 2, Rico has been pulled out of early retirement and is hot on the tail of a former boss who has seen fit to take a wad of stolen cash to the island of Panau--the exact location of which is about as certain as the one in Lost. Panau will feature a range of climates and terrain, including high-rise cities complete with skyscrapers just asking to be climbed, thick jungle foliage, snow-laden mountains, and sun-drenched beaches, all complete with their own dynamic climates. In the video footage we saw, the draw distance looked impressive, as did the detailed close-up scenery.

Along the way, Rico will come up against Baby Panay, a tyrannical yet short-statured dictator. Think the Kim Jong-Il from Team America and you're probably on the right track.

Want to grapple onto a pilotless helicopter? Who's gonna stop you?

Eidos says the developers have worked on making the gameplay in Just Cause 2 more challenging and rewarding than the first game, with changes such as increased enemy artificial intelligence; your enemies use cover to their advantage this time around, and can also shoot while in vehicles.

Additional improvements, such as more numerous and complex missions, are some of the things Swedish developer Avalanche Studios is working on to make JC2 a more balanced, refined beast than its predecessor.

Rico's parachute physics will be more realistic, and his swimming controls have been improved to reflect his on-land controls, according to Eidos. More improvements will be seen in the environmental effects, including climate changes such as storms, blizzards, and knee-deep snow in higher altitudes.

Although most gamers could finish Just Cause in five to six hours, the next instalment should have a longer lifespan in which Rico will have to complete side tasks before unlocking additional missions. Thankfully, he'll have his trusty (and upgraded) grappling hook on hand to grab onto objects, vehicles, people, and buildings if you need to traverse the world at speed.

You'll also be able to choose how to approach certain scenarios in the game. One example given was a mission in which you'll need to infiltrate an enemy compound nestled at the base of a large mountain. If you're feeling a particular case of bravado, you can attack it head-on by foot or car. You can also use your parachute to BASE jump off of the neighbouring mountain into the base, or even take a high-altitude approach, lobbing grenades from up above while floating around out of harm's way.

Some of the early graphics we've seen really do look promising, with some amazing draw distances.

Just Cause 2 has been confirmed for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and PC, and is expected to be out in the second half of 2008.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-06-2008, 07:27 PM   #6
Th* *p*r*t**n *f Sp*rts

CS10029's Arena

OVR: 32

Definately grabbing my attention with some of these screens and promises of better gameplay.
I don't like the Yankees, I like the Red Sox, I don't like the Lakers, I like the Celtics, I hate the Canadiens and I love the Bruins. Soccer is the best sport on Earth, but most Americans are too ignorant to realize it. I am American.

This is My Music:
www.youtube.com/user/christoffascott
Old 02-06-2008, 10:40 PM   #7
Sean Payton: Retribution

jmood88's Arena

OVR: 40

I wanted to play the first game but I never got around to it. I'm looking forward to this one.

If I went any bigger, it would not have properly fit with my equipment, so I had to optimize. I'm okay with it, but I also know what I'm missing with those five inches. :)

Last edited by jmood88; 02-06-2008 at 11:02 PM.
Old 03-30-2009, 02:10 PM   #8
Bang-bang! Down-down!

Flawless's Arena

OVR: 28

IGN Preview

Quote:
"A key element in the freedom that Just Cause 2 gives you is that there are no artificial barriers", explains lead designer Peter Johnasson. "You're free to go anywhere and you're free to try out any tactic in any given situation. Whatever tactic you choose, you can be sure that the only constant is action." Clearly, this sequel aims to offer respite from something we generally take for granted in other sandbox games: restrictions. Whether it's conveniently closed-off bridges or murderous cops who pop out of nowhere if you wander into the wrong region, we've become accustomed to such titles telling us what we can and can't do. This one, it seems, thinks different.

"That doesn't mean your chosen approach will prove successful in all situations," Johnasson continues. "Approaching a military base in a helicopter may not be the best idea if the base is heavily guarded by surface-to-air missiles. If you get shot down, maybe it's more effective to continue on foot rather than paying for a black market heavy drop." It all hints at the breathtaking scale of Just Cause 2. As with its precursor, it's all wide-open vistas and no loading pauses, but this goes even further - and not simply in terms of its GTA-rivalling list of cars (over 100), missions (over 50) and dual-wielded weaponry.

Approaching that aforementioned military base, for instance, might see you progress from lush forestry, over wide-open desert and finally up into ice-covered mountain tops. It's a David Attenborough series in 40 seconds. Throughout, the view distances are incredible: it's a huge and beautiful game world. As you get close to the base, you can either careen in close with your chopper, gracefully pirouette in with Rico's trademark parachute or do the Spider-Man thing with his almighty grappling hook. "Rico's move set enables you to do things that you can't do in any other game," reckons Johansson.

"The grappling hook can, for example, be used to quickly move around, pull enemies down from guard towers, suspend enemies under a bridge - or from a lamppost - or lift a car with a helicopter and use it as a wrecking ball. In combination with the parachute, the grappling hook enables you to do stunts you've never done before and you can experiment, finding your own tactics and play style. What happens if you tether two helicopters together, for instance, or try to pull down a presidential monument by dragging it behind a jeep?"
Quote:
"Then we have the stunts, which we've taken several steps further and integrated them into pretty much everything you do. We've also improved combat and made it more challenging and tactical. At the heart of this are a completely new aiming system and AI that's been redone from scratch. Enemies now take cover behind objects in a dynamic environment, flank you, guard specific important areas or objects and they can also call for backup."

This new aiming system should hopefully reassure anyone who found JC1's simple auto-lock shooting a little deflating – you can target specific body parts for quicker, cleaner or more 'orrible kills. A headshot will take 'em out, but a knee-shot will cause all kinds of trouble, so there's plenty of scope to play to your more sadistic urges. There's a similar principle behind the cars – they're not much of a muchness, but rather specific tools for specific jobs. You wouldn't, after all, drive a sports car across a sandy desert, no matter how slick it looks, so find something with better traction.
New Screens

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Non-Sports Gaming »