Home

CPU Passing AI

This is a discussion on CPU Passing AI within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 07-15-2005, 08:54 AM   #1
Grayscale

slickdtc's Arena

OVR: 26
Icon5 CPU Passing AI

Alright, I've been really playing this game a lot recently (I played it some during the NFL season but not too much), and this has got to be the most annoying thing so far.

The CPU Passer AI is terrible. I've played 3 games of my Washington Redskins franchise, and in all 3 games I've gotten at least 3 interceptions, with 2 games going for 4 INT's and 5 INT's. And it usually happens in the red zone.

I tried editting the opposing QB to have 99 "Pass Read Coverage", but it didn't work; the opposing QB threw 2 INT's in the 1st quarter alone.

So, is there any way for the opposing QB to not throw into triple coverage and get the ball picked off? I have CPU Passing at 40 (the maximum), Interceptions at 0 (minimum), and Human Coverage at about 5 clicks.

*It's not just a coincidence either. It happens all the time. The rest of the game I can get very accurate results, except INT's by the CPU QB.

And I don't have Action Replay, but I'm willing to edit my rosters if I must.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
And how does one levy a check that will result in only a slight concussion? Do they set their shoulder-pads to 'stun'?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-15-2005, 09:52 AM   #2
Banned

Re: CPU Passing AI

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickdtc
The CPU Passer AI is terrible. I've played 3 games of my Washington Redskins franchise, and in all 3 games I've gotten at least 3 interceptions, with 2 games going for 4 INT's and 5 INT's. And it usually happens in the red zone.

I tried editting the opposing QB to have 99 "Pass Read Coverage", but it didn't work; the opposing QB threw 2 INT's in the 1st quarter alone.
First, maybe try a search. This issue has been discussed before.

Now… what you’re describing – including the fruitless editing – is exactly what I observed and attempted to fix, and why I eventually gave up on 2K5. It’s a major, MAJOR flaw with the game… and something few people seem to have a problem with it seems. I’m guessing that’s because most people play online, and so that particular glitch doesn’t matter for most.

Yes, the programmers appear to have actually programmed the CPU QB to intentionally throw into double and triple coverage. My guess is someone went overboard with trying to program a bit of CPU error into the game. And like all 2K games, it wasn’t tested enough, and therefore happens way, WAY too often.

But, as I said, try a search. Maybe someone’s found something to lessen the problem, but I personally believe it’s something hard-coded into the game… like the idiotic DB play, the OL’s who step aside and let the DT’s come rushing in, the LB’s who let the QB run 5 yards past the LOS before pursuing him, and all the phony INT’s.
Old 07-15-2005, 11:16 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 3

Yea, that is an annoying part of this game. As with the other things stated by baa, which I agree with. There are a few ways to lessen the annoyance though, at least in my experience with 2K5.

For the AI passing game, I've lowered all QBs pass read coverage by about 30. I believe I have Brady or Manning at the highest rating, around 60 or so. Sounds kinda crazy, but it has helped for me. It almost gives the QBs a more human approach to reading coverage. Really cuts back on the automatic throws, where they throw the ball because thats where its "suppose" to go. And yet, when I've blitzed the AI QBs, most of the time they will read it and maybe hit the back out of the backfield, or hit the TE over the middle. And do it in a realistic manner, in my opinion.
Another major rating to adjust for QBs is stamina. In my last roster set, all QBs stamina is set to 99. Higher stamina for any position improves all around play.
You might also want to mess with composure a bit. I've lowered that rating as well. More so for the scrambling QBs, as it makes them a little more fidgity back in the pocket and more likely to take off (combined with a lower pass read coverage, like 40 or so...example Michael Vick)

Like I said, just a suggestion. But I've been fairly happy with the results. There are still gameplay elements in 2K5 that really shine over other games. I'll be playing it most of this season no doubt, giving Madden a gamefly rental most likely. But I just can't stand that gameplay and graphics. I really want to see a glimpse of next gen Madden gameplay footage.
Old 07-15-2005, 11:37 AM   #4
Grayscale

slickdtc's Arena

Thanks for the input.

I ran a search (probably should have in the first place), and I think I came out with some good results. Consistency, Pass Accuracy, Pass Read Coverage, and Stamina should all be tampered with. I'll give it a try.

Here's where I found my information, just in case someone else wants to use it.

Quote:
And how does one levy a check that will result in only a slight concussion? Do they set their shoulder-pads to 'stun'?
Old 07-15-2005, 12:06 PM   #5
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickChew
There are still gameplay elements in 2K5 that really shine over other games.
True... I'm just real grumpy this morning
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-15-2005, 12:36 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by baa7
True... I'm just real grumpy this morning
lol, I hear ya. Not a morning person myself, especially as I sit here at work with nothing to do...and the clock ticks by on a Friday...when I could be home ignoring house work and the dog...and be playing Xbox

Ok back on topic....
Old 07-15-2005, 12:44 PM   #7
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

You are absolutely right about the CPU QBs. Its really turned the game into a snoozer for me. I have human coverage at 0 with CPU passing at 40 and they are still terrible. I've tried editing read coverage up and down as well as maxing QBs fatigue as one poster said that helped. I didn't see any significant difference with anything I tried. One thing that does help a little is to increase everybody's arm strength so the ball gets there faster instead of letting 3 guys gets shots at interceptions.

The real reason behind the problem is that the old 2K games never had the QB throw deep. They re-wrote the logic so the CPU does go deep in 2K5 but their decision making is awful.

If you ever just have the CPU play each other (not simulate, actually match them up) and throw Peyton Manning out there against Brett Favre (with two average to bad defenses) and they will complete less than half of their passes and throw multiple picks every game. If anybody thinks they have fixed this problem I would love to read their fix and have them run a few CPU games to see how they react and what the results are. 99% of the time its not pretty.
Old 07-15-2005, 12:59 PM   #8
Grayscale

slickdtc's Arena

Well, I editted Pass Read Coverage to 40 and the other things (Stamina, Pass Accuracy, Composure, Consistency) I put to 99.

So against editted Matt Hasselbeck, I only picked off one pass during the 2 minute drill. I had to go then, but I think 1 INT in 2 quarters is better then 2 INT in 1 quarter.

Going to have to keep playing and hopefully results come out good. This is the one thing really holding the game back from being nearly perfect for me.

Quote:

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »