Home

Rally Racing Game? Suggestions?

This is a discussion on Rally Racing Game? Suggestions? within the Racing forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Racing
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 02-26-2005, 04:47 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 3
Rally Racing Game? Suggestions?

I'm looking to get into a Rally Racing game, but I can't seem to find which one to get via reviews. I see suggestions like Colin McRae, Rally Fusion, and Rallisport Challenge but I can't seem to find any good reviews on them.

Can any of you guys offer an opinion on what's the best Rally Racer to pick up? Doesn't matter what console. Just not PC. My PC's not up to running the latest games. *sigh*

Thanks!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-26-2005, 07:36 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 15
Re: Rally Racing Game? Suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by malrak
I'm looking to get into a Rally Racing game, but I can't seem to find which one to get via reviews. I see suggestions like Colin McRae, Rally Fusion, and Rallisport Challenge but I can't seem to find any good reviews on them.

Can any of you guys offer an opinion on what's the best Rally Racer to pick up? Doesn't matter what console. Just not PC. My PC's not up to running the latest games. *sigh*

Thanks!
As far as Rally games available in the US the Colin McRae series is the way to go. It offers the most realistic rallying gameplay on any console. I still have Colin McRae 3, Colin McRae '04, Colin McRae 2005. In Colin McRae '04 and 2005 it offers some very solid damage modeling, and physics.

Rally Fusion was a fun arcade rally game but not in the same league as the Colin McRae Series. Rallisport Challenge 1 and 2 were a work of art and showcase the power of the Xbox. It's a fun rally game and again is not in the same league as Colin McRae.

Colin McRae '04 Xbox Reviews:
http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/driving...04/review.html
http://xbox.ign.com/articles/499/499202p1.html

Colin Mcrae 2005 Xbox Reviews:
http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/driving...y5/review.html
http://xbox.ign.com/articles/552/552682p1.html

p.s. You can't beat the Colin McRae series for it's attempt at realism. It does a offer a fine balance between fun and realism. If Richard Burns Rally Racing were offered in the US I would give the nod to Richard Burns Rally. Until then Colin McRae is the way to go.

Hope this helps !
Old 02-27-2005, 01:05 AM   #3
Rookie

Wilson10's Arena

OVR: 4

I couldn't agree anymore with the post above. It plays great....as close to a rally sim as you can get in the states, and it looks very nice on my hdtv with xbox!!! 05 was the 2nd game I bought for my Xbox...gets ALOT of play in my house
Old 02-27-2005, 06:58 AM   #4
All Star

OVR: 20

Rodster said it perfectly and saved me a few words!

Rally Fusion: Shallow arcade game
Rallisport Challenge 1 and 2: Arcade game with gorgeous graphics
Colin McRae Rally 2005: The real deal

Take care,
PK
Old 02-27-2005, 02:51 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 3

Thanks! Looks like the Colin McRaes have it.

Umm..... anyone know where I can buy this thing?

EBGames and Gamestop don't have it. Even an E-Bay search only turns up non-American copies.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-27-2005, 05:46 PM   #6
MVP

BengalTiger's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by malrak
Thanks! Looks like the Colin McRaes have it.

Umm..... anyone know where I can buy this thing?

EBGames and Gamestop don't have it. Even an E-Bay search only turns up non-American copies.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...=operasport-20
Old 02-28-2005, 07:45 AM   #7
Banned

OVR: 15

Also try http://www.half.com I tend to find the best deals there. I saw Colin McRae '04 priced at $19.99 and a little more for Colin McRae 2005.

Better yet you should buy the Toca2 game bundle. It comes with Colin McRae '04 and Toca Race Driver 2 for $19.99 and it was for the Xbox too

I also saw Colin Mcrae 3 there as well for a little less than $19. Visit the site often as inventory changes hands pretty quick especially if a game is in demand. The good news is that the Colin McRae and Toca Series are fairly niche games so prices are pretty stable.

Happy hunting and enjoy your games.
Old 02-28-2005, 08:40 AM   #8
All Star

OVR: 20

Warning: CMR 2005 is vastly improved over CMR 04, so beware of CMR 04 and the value pack unless you really want TOCA 2, an amazing game.

CMR 04 had "center spike" physics really bad, in which it feels like the car rotates from a central axis point when turning or sliding through corners instead of actually turning or sliding. Plus the career mode is really screwy in CMR 04 -- you can only play as McRae, no one else. No online play, either.

If you're looking for a great motorsports game value, then get the double pack with TOCA 2 and CMR 04, by all means. But realize that you're getting arguably the worst of the five CMR games that Codemasters has made.

If you're really jonesing for the best rally game, then hold out and find CMR 2005 somewhere. It's much better than CMR 04 and ranks right up there with CMR 2.0 for the PSX as the top game in the series.

Take care,
PK

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Racing »