Home

Utah State set to join PAC

This is a discussion on Utah State set to join PAC within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 09-23-2024, 09:27 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
Utah State set to join PAC

Utah State will become the 5th Mountain West team to go to the PAC. There are also rumors of UNLV considering a jump to the PAC.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/...uilding-pac-12
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-23-2024, 10:51 PM   #2
All Star

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Utah State set to join PAC

Hopefully the MWC can get back to enough teams to continue to exist.
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings
Old 09-24-2024, 01:53 AM   #3
MVP

SilverBullet19's Arena

OVR: 0

With Tulane, UTSA, USF and Memphis staying in the AAC, I think the PAC really NEEDS UNLV at this point.

Utah State kept the dream alive for pac fans, because UNLV was happy to stay put of the MWC stuck together.

I won’t be surprised if UNLV brings Nevada with it to the PAC as part of their bargaining chip.

Major Boise State fan
Old 09-24-2024, 08:21 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBullet19
With Tulane, UTSA, USF and Memphis staying in the AAC, I think the PAC really NEEDS UNLV at this point.

Utah State kept the dream alive for pac fans, because UNLV was happy to stay put of the MWC stuck together.

I won’t be surprised if UNLV brings Nevada with it to the PAC as part of their bargaining chip.

Do they have that firepower? Nevada is 6-23 since the 2021 season ended and Reno is the #108 US market. Jay Norvell is the only coach with a winning record there since Chris Ault retired. UNLV is the "best of the rest" of the MWC, but are they that much better than San Jose State (#6 US market)?

The goal of the Pac-12 has to be to regain power status. I believe we will see a P5 conference again, I just don't know who it will be. The Power Conferences have always had the majority of FBS (including the BCS and Bowl Alliance days). With the P4 and G6, next year when Missouri State and Delaware come up to FBS, 50% of the teams will be in the P4. The power conferences will be in the minority if or when the Montana or Dakota schools come up to FBS. With the American staying together, it has to be important for the P12 to get the best in terms of football quality and market size for the TV execs to get excited over. I'm not sure Nevada fits. I realize their men's basketball team has been good over the past two seasons or so, but football drives the revenue bus.
Old 09-24-2024, 12:28 PM   #5
MVP

SilverBullet19's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrane
Do they have that firepower? Nevada is 6-23 since the 2021 season ended and Reno is the #108 US market. Jay Norvell is the only coach with a winning record there since Chris Ault retired. UNLV is the "best of the rest" of the MWC, but are they that much better than San Jose State (#6 US market)?

The goal of the Pac-12 has to be to regain power status. I believe we will see a P5 conference again, I just don't know who it will be. The Power Conferences have always had the majority of FBS (including the BCS and Bowl Alliance days). With the P4 and G6, next year when Missouri State and Delaware come up to FBS, 50% of the teams will be in the P4. The power conferences will be in the minority if or when the Montana or Dakota schools come up to FBS. With the American staying together, it has to be important for the P12 to get the best in terms of football quality and market size for the TV execs to get excited over. I'm not sure Nevada fits. I realize their men's basketball team has been good over the past two seasons or so, but football drives the revenue bus.
The reason UNLV wasn’t an original target is because they have to get approval through the state for the move. They couldn’t snag UNLV under the radar like others because it would become public knowledge they were being poached before the state approved it. It was known they would be an “next round” target as they are now.

Many have speculated the state wants both UNLV and Nevada to be in a conference together. I don’t know if that has a lot of merit, considering they weren’t until the MWC took WAC schools. The powers that be are alumni of both.

You are otherwise correct, Reno is not a big market at all.

I’d love for it to be merit based taking strong programs, but that’s no longer the case. It’s all about media markets. They considered SJSU for the Bay Area market, even though traditionally SJSU isn’t very good (and the area is a dump I went there to see a game).

Supposedly analytics showed Utah State has a similar market draw to Memphis, oddly. Seems Memphis may be overshadowed by the Vols in media

I would not put it past the MWC to encourage some Big Sky schools to make a jump. Sacramento State is actually in a fairly large market (UC Davis is there too) and both programs are strong.

The Dakotas and Montanas are great programs but small market. If they jump to FBS, the media market does not set the up for P4

PAC and AAC could talk mergers. I think that’s their best shot at being P5 again. If they get UNLV they’re in a fairly similar spot to AAC in my mind. If they had snagged the AAC targets they’d be the best G6 conference but that time has passed. With the (projected) extra media money, the PAC programs have a lot of opportunity to become stronger and COULD be a P5 down the road again

Major Boise State fan

Last edited by SilverBullet19; 09-24-2024 at 12:46 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-24-2024, 12:55 PM   #6
MVP

SilverBullet19's Arena

To add a fun wrinkle, Sac State has a committee to work toward moving to FBS. Specifically eyeing the MWC and PAC-12.

Sacramento is the 20th largest media market in the US. Although it’s a transition, I’d pounce on the market if I was the PAC

https://gvwire.com/2024/09/16/commit...l-of-football/

Major Boise State fan
Old 09-24-2024, 01:46 PM   #7
All Star

OVR: 13

At this point, I wonder if Stanford and Cal wouldn't want back in to the PAC12. It would sort of make sense for all involved....
Old 09-24-2024, 01:49 PM   #8
MVP

SilverBullet19's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by pietasterp
At this point, I wonder if Stanford and Cal wouldn't want back in to the PAC12. It would sort of make sense for all involved....
I don’t foresee them coming back for 2 reasons:

1) As it stands, it is exceptionally expensive to leave the ACC. That could change with pending lawsuits, but it’s sitting at over $500m for Florida state to leave. By contrast, schools leaving the MWC are paying about $18m

2) the ACC media contracts pay far more than the PAC 12 contract will.

So it would be both expensive AND a revenue drop, all in the name of saving travel costs for 4-5 conference games.

Major Boise State fan

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »