Home

Explain Broadcast Cam Love To Me

This is a discussion on Explain Broadcast Cam Love To Me within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 08-27-2024, 06:26 PM   #1
Rookie

MikeBadge's Arena

OVR: 0
Explain Broadcast Cam Love To Me

I'm mostly 2K Cam user who dabbles in On Court/Player Lock cameras occasionally (really excited to see if the new 2K Wire, zoomed in will scratch that "Player Lock Camera" itch).

Every year when gameplay vids drop y'all start asking for someone to drop Broadcast Cam footage (thought this was just a OS thing but I get it in YouTube comments every year when I go to New Zealand, as well), and it seems like a good portion of those asking actually use Broadcast Cam when they play (the latter group is really who I'm asking here).

Genuine curiosity...I have a few questions:
  1. Why?
  2. Is "that's what it looks like on TV" a big reason?
  3. If you answered "yes" above, do you feel like that makes it more "sim"?
  4. Does controlling with that angle feel intuitive?
  5. Does the game look better graphically to you from that angle?
  6. Does the game play better to you from that angle?
  7. What was your 1st 2K?

Appreciate any of y'all who will humor me
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-27-2024, 06:34 PM   #2
Pro

Re: Explain Broadcast Cam Love To Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBadge

1. Why?
  2. Is "that's what it looks like on TV" a big reason?
  3. If you answered "yes" above, do you feel like that makes it more "sim"?
  4. Does controlling with that angle feel intuitive?
  5. Does the game look better graphically to you from that angle?
  6. Does the game play better to you from that angle?
  7. What was your 1st 2K?
  1. Because that's what it looks like on TV
  2. You better believe it
  3. That's not what makes it sim IMO. To me, what makes it sim is accurate ratings, tendencies, play styles, and rules.
  4. Not really. But it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make and I'm also stubborn
  5. Absolutely. It doesn't make the graphics better, but from an aesthetics standpoint, it's night and day between Broadcast and 2K Cam. Again, this is just for me and not universal, even among Broadcast users
  6. It does, but probably only because it's all I've ever used
  7. 2K6
Old 08-27-2024, 07:21 PM   #3
Pro

OVR: 1

1. It's what it looks like on TV and it's what I'm used to the most.
2. For basketball and hockey yes. I use mostly "default" cameras for baseball (hitting, use broadcast for fielding) and football games. I find it way harder to play those games form broadcast cams.
3. Not really sure how I would define more or less "sim", nor do I really care about it.
4. Absolutely. It's how I watch basketball, and it's how I'm most used to seeing basketball be played.
5. Wouldn't know as I've never tried any other angles (sometimes I used nosebleeds, but never the 2k Cam).
6. Sure does! I hate the constant turning of the camera and the transparent backboards. On the rare occasions that I'd actually sit through any YouTube videos of other people playing and I don't find them to be the most annoying person on the planet (or a terrible public speaker in general) I'll stop watching if it's the 2K camera. It just makes me uncomfortable.
7. First I owned was 2k5, but remember renting 2k2. I played all NBA Lives I had and NBA Shootout 98 with a sideview camera too.

I get why people use the 2K camera, you see a few things better from there. But it's just not for me. I remember not even knowing people actually used it until I played a friend in person in the 8th grade. I was so shocked lol
Old 08-27-2024, 07:26 PM   #4
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnz21
1. It's what it looks like on TV and it's what I'm used to the most.
2. For basketball and hockey yes. I use mostly "default" cameras for baseball (hitting, use broadcast for fielding) and football games. I find it way harder to play those games form broadcast cams.
3. Not really sure how I would define more or less "sim", nor do I really care about it.
4. Absolutely. It's how I watch basketball, and it's how I'm most used to seeing basketball be played.
5. Wouldn't know as I've never tried any other angles (sometimes I used nosebleeds, but never the 2k Cam).
6. Sure does! I hate the constant turning of the camera and the transparent backboards. On the rare occasions that I'd actually sit through any YouTube videos of other people playing and I don't find them to be the most annoying person on the planet (or a terrible public speaker in general) I'll stop watching if it's the 2K camera. It just makes me uncomfortable.
7. First I owned was 2k5, but remember renting 2k2. I played all NBA Lives I had and NBA Shootout 98 with a sideview camera too.

I get why people use the 2K camera, you see a few things better from there. But it's just not for me. I remember not even knowing people actually used it until I played a friend in person in the 8th grade. I was so shocked lol
All this

except 2. I don't play hockey, but I do play rugby and enjoy a great broadcast cam such as in Rugby Challenge 4 (which has two good ones) and

7. my first NBA2K game was NBA 2K1 on Dreamcast!

I will add that I would prefer to use broadcast for all games as that is how it looks on TV, but for baseball (hitting, I'd rather look at the stadium backdrop), and football ( I can't see receivers ), it is not good for playing games.
Old 08-27-2024, 07:30 PM   #5
Rookie

I know you can play better with the 2K Cam, but I am not a competitive Gamer, I just wanna have fun and I feel like I have more fun with the broadcast cam, because it feels more real (If you play MyLeague/GM).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-27-2024, 07:32 PM   #6
MVP

scottyp180's Arena

OVR: 5

My responses would be similar to VictorMG. It's basically the camera I've used since I started playing basketball videogames (I want to say Live 96 for PS1 was my first game besides NBA Jam for the Sega Genesis). 2K cam never felt completely natural to me, though there were some benefits playing from that angle (can see the court and spacing better, dribbling could be a little better).

The one camera view I got into for a year was Drive. From what I remember it places the camera right behind whoever you are controlling. To me, it gave the experience of being in the shoes of the player. Really good for player lock, My Player, or if you plan on playing more of an isolation/1 on 1 play style. I don't remember if it was disorienting passing the ball around or switching players.

But after using it for a period of time (mostly 2k6), I reverted back to broadcast and haven't turned back. It's what I'm accustom to and I don't see myself messing around with other angle anytime soon.

Last edited by scottyp180; 08-27-2024 at 07:35 PM.
Old 08-27-2024, 08:21 PM   #7
MVP

EccentricMeat's Arena

OVR: 19

Besides the obvious “that’s what it looks like on TV” reasoning, I imagine for a lot of people the 2K camera is just too static and “video gamey”.

I play either Broadcast or Drive camera. Broadcast to make sure the movement, speed/accel, animations, and overall look of the game is dialed in correctly; Drive when I get into actually playing the game, as it’s a constantly dynamic camera and gives a partial feeling that you’re really on the court. It’s also a slight nerf to vision, so drive-and-kick situations are harder to tell exactly where your teammates and defenders are at all times.
Old 08-27-2024, 08:43 PM   #8
Pro

OVR: 7

Broadcast cam was the original view for a lot of basketball video games prior to 2k. Plus some gamers just like the tv like view of the game. Pretty simple to me.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »