Home

Calling Match Coverages in CFB 25, How Much Should We Expect?

This is a discussion on Calling Match Coverages in CFB 25, How Much Should We Expect? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 08-27-2024, 02:10 AM   #1
MVP

sirjam's Arena

OVR: 15
Calling Match Coverages in CFB 25, How Much Should We Expect?

https://throwdeeppublishing.com/blog...x9nBqkg0yo99lr
Do you reckon the game does a good job with replicating this and if so which plays do it the best?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-27-2024, 09:22 AM   #2
MVP

sirjam's Arena

OVR: 15
re: Calling Nick Saban's Match Coverages in CFB 25

Helpful answer man, thanks
Old 08-27-2024, 10:43 AM   #3
Pro

Orange Krush's Arena

OVR: 2

I coach HS football and I’ve been studying and teaching the Saban coverages for years. I’ve done a lot of testing in-game to see how some of these coverages work and I still don’t fully understand. I get blown coverages every once in a while partially because the coverages in-game don’t seem to work exactly the way they do in real life. If someone can shed some light on it I’d love to learn more, but as of right now I think the pattern match coverages do a good job, but not a perfect job, of replicating how they work irl.
Old 08-27-2024, 11:12 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Krush
I coach HS football and I’ve been studying and teaching the Saban coverages for years. I’ve done a lot of testing in-game to see how some of these coverages work and I still don’t fully understand. I get blown coverages every once in a while partially because the coverages in-game don’t seem to work exactly the way they do in real life. If someone can shed some light on it I’d love to learn more, but as of right now I think the pattern match coverages do a good job, but not a perfect job, of replicating how they work irl.
IRL you get blown coverages. Players get confused or get duped by play action. I've had pretty good results with pattern match.
Old 08-27-2024, 11:16 AM   #5
¤¤¤ ¤¤¤ ¤¤¤ ¤¤¤

Ghost Of The Year's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoDucks1224
Well Saban is retired. So does it matter? Alabama's defensive scheme is changing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirjam
Helpful answer man, thanks
Change the thread title. Find another of the 134 choices its relevant to. Otherwise it is indeed a helpful answer.
SYRACUSE - CFB.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-27-2024, 11:21 AM   #6
Pro

Orange Krush's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdb7623
IRL you get blown coverages. Players get confused or get duped by play action. I've had pretty good results with pattern match.
While this is true, I’ve found a couple route combinations that flat out break a coverage, it just doesn’t function the way it should vs specific route combos.
Old 08-27-2024, 11:51 AM   #7
All Star

OVR: 0

I'm exclusively coach mode. Thanks for posting the article.

I do believe the game tries to introduce these concepts although things like this - Cover 3/6 vs 2×2

Cornerbacks – The cornerbacks are man on #1 unless #1 goes under (inside and short) in the first 5 yards. If #1 does go under in the first 5 yards, then the cornerback will yell “Under! Under!” and zones off to deep third, eyeing #2.
- I'm not sure that is in the game. There are multiple cover 3 sets for example in nickel wide. Cover 3 cloud. Cover 3 match. Cover 3 sky press. Cover 3 buzz match WK. I don't use this much because it allows too much underneath. I've also been burned over the top in these deep zones. For that reason when I expect a long pass I use cover 2 so the underneath defenders stay with the receiver and safety help. I'm guessing the game replicates cover 3 but I don't use it much. After reading this article I might try more cover 3 - maybe some cover 3 match.

In cover 1 the game has a linebacker drop into the short zone with one safety over the top and one safety in man. I'd prefer to have a safety in the short zone because my linebackers are more man coverage oriented but I do use cover 1 frequently. You need a fast safety up top in the zone.

Cover 2 is easier to recruit to. High zone number and speed for safeties. High man number for corners with a corner in the slot corner position. I believe for corners in CFB 25 the man coverage number is more important than speed. That wasn't the case in NCA 14. In 25 a corner with 80's man and high 80's speed is better than a corner with 70's man and 90's speed.

It's clear the AI in this game knows how to attack the defense and therefore I audible a lot and change back and forth between cover 1, cover 2 and Tampa. I also use some good blitz plays to keep the offense off balance. If you aren't doing so you should pay attention to rush linemen and swap them out in the depth chart. My nickel lineman are not the same as my 4-3 and 4-4 linemen. I use linebackers at DE in nickel Quick DT or a DE in the RDT slots.

Regarding Saban he was a perfectionist. You see videos of him in practice yelling because players aren't understanding their role. Sometimes during a game you would see him yelling. He understands the system better than the assistant coaches and players at times. I'd love to see a video of him discussing this topic - how well does CFB 25 replicate his coverages? That would be fascinating to watch.

Last edited by tessl; 08-27-2024 at 11:59 AM.
Old 08-27-2024, 12:04 PM   #8
Pro

RyanLeaf16's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Krush
Do you mean your running it in the game on CFB 25 or that you're running it with your HS kids? Some of that pattern matching coverage is even too complex for college kids. Jeremy Pruitt even laughed when he was at Tennessee when he was asked if he was gonna run some pattern matching coverage and he just laughed and said "our kids aren't ready for that."

Not knocking you at all, if you are doing it IRL, I'm just surprised and curious how deep down the rabbit hole you're going with it if you are using it IRL.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »