Home

Sliders to make it harder on mobile QBs

This is a discussion on Sliders to make it harder on mobile QBs within the EA Sports College Football Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football > EA Sports College Football Sliders
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 08-26-2024, 01:18 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
Sliders to make it harder on mobile QBs

So this past season one of our online dynasty players had an incredibly magical season by starting a bad Freshman QB who was mobile. Bad as in low 70's accuracy and low AWR. This player did not cheese, and so far as I know he followed limited playcall requirements we have for Freshman. We do not have limitations on audibles, something we may add in a leveling fashion to FR/SO QB's in the future He also had a great run game in this season so was able to create really great balance 51% run to 49% pass.

I'm not worried about any of my players willingness to follow these "realism
rules" we put in the game because we all want something closer to a simulation, but we try to limit them to easily remembered things. This player also just played very well within himself, not forcing passes etc. Additionally in retrospect of the season the sliders in general were too easy for the year so this player probably never really was "pressed" to make throws where his accuracy was more problematic.

I'm aware this may be a bit of an overreaction, and I stress my goal here is to reduce effectiveness of a mobile QB against the computer, not human opponents. So with that said, my question is if I wanted to weaken mobile QB's what do I do?

My thoughts:
Increase Fumbles
Decrease QB Accuracy (or increase Defensive Pass Coverage...maybe both)
Decrease Pass Blocking

My thought is maybe this makes it a little harder to escape the pocket, more punishment for scrambling with increased fumbling. My concern is this punishes Field Generals just the same.

No matter what we do this player is going to be a better player than us, that's not the concern, we just don't want a crummy Freshman QB to able to outperform the rest of the league. We do limit playcalls as well.

Thoughts?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-26-2024, 01:24 PM   #2
Rookie

Re: Sliders to make it harder on mobile QBs

OP here, thinking honestly I just need to increase difficulty across the board and maybe limit audibling with younger players. Those two things should pressure the lowerclassmen QBs. Also we're in small conferences right now where the stadium intensity is pretty non existent putting no real pressure on the QB. As we go to bigger programs that will naturally change.

Still curious if there is anything people think would help to reduce scrambling effectiveness.
Old 08-27-2024, 08:52 AM   #3
Pro

Woad23's Arena

OVR: 0

Taken straight from Khalib’s thread:

Passing Setting:
Revamped
- removes God mode and your ability to override player skillset/ratings

Pass Lead Increase = Large
- creates overthrows

- impacts CPU as well

***you can try other Pass settings but gameplay experience will be different

You might already have these in but they were a game changer for me. It will also affect pocket passers but in general I have found QBs with better ratings are much easier to play with when these settings enabled.

Last edited by Woad23; 08-27-2024 at 09:45 AM.
Old 08-27-2024, 10:12 AM   #4
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

Increasing fumbles can help, but he can just slide and get out of bounds more often when scrambling and it may lead to punishing the more pocket passing type QB's who are likely to get hit within the pocket more often.

Decreasing accuracy would probably help if the typical scrambler has lower accuracy ratings. Will make the pocket passers' accuracy ratings more important the lower you drop this slider. Potential issue is making pocket passers too erratic leading to the scrambler actually being even better given he can make up for the misfires with his legs while the pocket passers are now worse throwers that still can't run.

Lowering pass blocking may help, but again, may potentially punish the non-scramblers more since the scrambler will have better chances of escaping the increased pressure.

I think lowering accuracy may be the best slider to mess with first of those 3 given the potential drawbacks with the other 2. You would need to find the right balance of finding more inaccuracy overall to hurt the scrambler from that standpoint without making it so passing the ball becomes a chore and significantly more risky with the pocket passers.

Another potential change, that potentially may not be too popular with the dynasty group is increasing the speed threshold to make it so the scrambler is no longer too much faster than the defense. It won't turn him into Tom Brady, but will allow the CPU defense to close ground on him quicker, take better pursuit angles, etc.

The potential cons depending on how you look at it with that change would be the fact that that would then impact the other areas of the game with making CPU run defense a bit better, likely would tighten coverage a bit, would also reduce the ability of the pocket passers to scoot when they need to.

It's a tricky situation to find yourselves in. My recommendation would be to lower the accuracy first before messing with the other settings. Unless you're willing to mess with the threshold slider, then I'd say that may be the best change, however, I am very biased towards higher threshold values and that should be taken into account. I know this slider is very subjective and the community has a broad set of opinions on it, so this is one that may be the hardest to be willing to change or to convince the others of changing, so that's why I'd say starting with adjusting the accuracy first may be the move and if that doesn't help, then a threshold increase may be something to at least think about.

― Plato
Old 08-28-2024, 02:50 PM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woad23
Taken straight from Khalib’s thread:

Passing Setting:
Revamped
- removes God mode and your ability to override player skillset/ratings

Pass Lead Increase = Large
- creates overthrows

- impacts CPU as well

***you can try other Pass settings but gameplay experience will be different

You might already have these in but they were a game changer for me. It will also affect pocket passers but in general I have found QBs with better ratings are much easier to play with when these settings enabled.
Very out of the box from what I was thinking but very interesting. Right now those settings are all considered "player preference" but I personally swapped my Field General from Medium to Low b/c I was getting too many overthrows to parts of the field his accuracy was not as strong, but really hadn't considered that. This could be a very good solution for my smaller group. It's especially impactful to players throwing on the run b/c the stick is often moving while you throw which could additionally impact this.

Canes also appreciate your insight, it kind of confirms my concerns with changes being as impactful or worse to pocket QBs.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-28-2024, 03:23 PM   #6
Rookie

H2UKNOW's Arena

OVR: 0

Raise the Speed Threshold

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football > EA Sports College Football Sliders »