Home

How does player progression work in dynasty?

This is a discussion on How does player progression work in dynasty? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 07-23-2024, 09:42 PM   #1
Pro

noarmsduck's Arena

OVR: 0
How does player progression work in dynasty?

I've only started playing a dynasty seriously within the last 2 days and I'm midway through year 1. I'm assuming player progression happens in between seasons? I've noticed on the ratings tab that they can earn skill points. Do we get to spend those as we want, or does the game spend them automatically for us?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-23-2024, 09:55 PM   #2
Rookie

Re: How does player progression work in dynasty?

If you look at a player profile, there’s a line horizontal line below their name. That is their XP bar. On the far right is a number next to an “S” emblem, which are the players accumulated skill points. Then, under “Ratings” there is a skill point cost. So if “Elusiveness” costs 11, then that player needs 11 to progress that skill group.

That is what I know currently. I do not know how the CPU decides what to progress when. My theory is it just upgrades the lowest cost one at the time.

In the offseason, as far as I can tell, it’s completely random.
Old 07-23-2024, 10:05 PM   #3
Pro

noarmsduck's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by j1mmycr4ckc0rn
If you look at a player profile, there’s a line horizontal line below their name. That is their XP bar. On the far right is a number next to an “S” emblem, which are the players accumulated skill points. Then, under “Ratings” there is a skill point cost. So if “Elusiveness” costs 11, then that player needs 11 to progress that skill group.

That is what I know currently. I do not know how the CPU decides what to progress when. My theory is it just upgrades the lowest cost one at the time.

In the offseason, as far as I can tell, it’s completely random.
That would suck if we can't even choose what to upgrade. I remember when Madden added this feature without the ability to edit ratings they at least let us choose where to spend skill points.
Old 07-24-2024, 10:03 PM   #4
Rookie

I just simmed two seasons with Ball State and recruited only Indiana and bordering states for two and one stars. I recruited around 5 two stars and 30 one stars. Those payers were basically all in the 50s with a couple 40s and 60s mixed in. Needless to say, none of them started and just about all of them redshirted (AI does that automatically unfortunately). I don't think any had anything but Normal dev trait.

Progression..... is crazy! After just the first year, some of those Fr(RS) went up around 15 points overall. 15! Without playing. I thought maybe they cut my players and bunch of walk ons showed up. I didn't memorize all their original overalls, but one is an 83 OVR after being a crappy one star recruit that was redshirted.

I guess trying to rebuild realistically isn't an option. (yet)
Old 07-24-2024, 10:25 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by noarmsduck
That would suck if we can't even choose what to upgrade. I remember when Madden added this feature without the ability to edit ratings they at least let us choose where to spend skill points.
It would suck if we could choose what to upgrade. That’s dumb and unrealistic.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-24-2024, 11:07 PM   #6
Rookie

In my save, Raiola only went up by one overall despite having a great season and having star potential. I also had a 74 freshman OT go from 74 to 87 after one season (not complaining about that though).

I've seen normal players go up crazy amounts and elite players barely going up after redshirts.

Maybe it will make more sense after I go through more seasons but progression just seems random to me.
Old 07-24-2024, 11:29 PM   #7
Five Becomes Four

Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by noarmsduck
That would suck if we can't even choose what to upgrade.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fballturkey
It would suck if we could choose what to upgrade.
lol.

I enjoy the Madden XP and Skill Points player progression system, but I get that it people rubs people wrong because it's a very game-y and immersion-breaking representation of progression. I think I enjoy how CFB 25 is set up where there is no direct control of player progression well enough, though.

Either way, I'm of the opinion that there should be a way to influence the growth of a player. I suppose that's there a little bit now with the available abilities in the Motivator coach skill tree (esp. wrt which ones I buy vs. which ones I don't), but something just a bit more targeted might be nice. For example, if I were playing as Wisconsin, I would want to direct my offensive line was focusing their progression on run blocking over pass blocking.
Old 07-24-2024, 11:49 PM   #8
MVP

tetoleetd's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by fballturkey
It would suck if we could choose what to upgrade. That’s dumb and unrealistic.
It's not really dumb. In real life players focus on specific things to work on, they don't just randomly improve.

But I do like how it's random on NCAA. It just gives a certain feeling of unpredictability that I think works well in a college game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »