Home

This Immersion Killing Dribbling Issue Must Be Fixed For 2K25!

This is a discussion on This Immersion Killing Dribbling Issue Must Be Fixed For 2K25! within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 06-07-2024, 08:49 AM   #1
MVP

OVR: 0

This happens constantly in this game! At times the ball doesn't even hit the floor & gets stuck in mid-air when dribbling. Players will start a dribble, pick the ball up while it's in mid-air defying ball physics & start another dribble before the 1st dribble was completed. I've seen players carry the ball across the court without even fully completing a dribble. I get that 2K allows players to start a dribble & not fully complete it when pulling up for a shot to compensate for player control & responsiveness. The issue that I'm referring to is in the video links below.

This issue has been happening for years in 2K but seems way worse this year. I don't know if it's because the dribbling is a little bit too responsive, but needles to say, it definitely needs to be fixed. I noticed it seems to happen more when contact is made with the dribbler (hip riding by the defender, etc.) Maybe a dribbling overhaul is needed. This issue ruins the game & kills all immersion.

https://youtu.be/sS_ldo_05ZE?si=l1jGcVFNvvMPV4nQ

https://youtu.be/DcycKyjgwsA?si=fq9-FhGfhw_EIBiU

https://youtu.be/VrPbf-4HNFg?si=e87tZ8L2e0LX40t5
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-07-2024, 11:19 AM   #2
Pro

vetmin's Arena

Re: This Immersion Killing Dribbling Issue Must Be Fixed For 2K25!

I've been complaining about this since Day 1, and while I correctly predicted that people would be less forgiving of it gradually as the year went along, I'm still surprised at how little attention it's gotten from the community. It's a major eyesore and -- me personally -- I'd give back every animation improvement from ProPLAY in a second if it meant restoring dribbling / ball animations to how they were.

It's bizarre to me that the community is sensitive enough to animations to appreciate little ProPLAY nuances but is seemingly unbothered by these extremely glaring and constant glitches with such a core aspect of the game's animations.
Old 06-07-2024, 01:38 PM   #3
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vetmin
I've been complaining about this since Day 1, and while I correctly predicted that people would be less forgiving of it gradually as the year went along, I'm still surprised at how little attention it's gotten from the community. It's a major eyesore and -- me personally -- I'd give back every animation improvement from ProPLAY in a second if it meant restoring dribbling / ball animations to how they were.

It's bizarre to me that the community is sensitive enough to animations to appreciate little ProPLAY nuances but is seemingly unbothered by these extremely glaring and constant glitches with such a core aspect of the game's animations.
I've literally come back to 2k23 Old Gen. Idk if it's because of ProPlay but old gen gameplay feels way smootherthan New Gen.
Old 06-07-2024, 04:16 PM   #4
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

This has essentially been in every basketball game in existence, so while there’s a chance there may be a breakthrough with the next generation of consoles, so wouldn’t hold your breath for 2K25. We’ve barely just gotten to the point where you can’t break stationary dribbling as often as you used to.

It’s not something I really notice unless I’m looking for it…and it definitely doesn’t take precedent over other aspects of the game for me personally, but I know it’s something that really bothers some. Hopefully they can lessen how often it happens going forward.
Old 06-08-2024, 08:41 AM   #5
Pro

It's noticeably worse this year than any other year, but it doesn't really impact things all that much. Just looks really ugly.

The one that does get me though is when the CPU picks up its dribble and goes into a shooting position, but then goes into another dribbling animation (but technically the ball doesn't touch the second hand so it's not a double dribble, just an obvious carry). It's really hard to defend, but then again they tend to let that sort of stuff go a lot in real life too.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-08-2024, 11:20 AM   #6
Rookie

Interesting. I played 23 on os5 old gen version and enjoyed it much better also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaqfu9
I've literally come back to 2k23 Old Gen. Idk if it's because of ProPlay but old gen gameplay feels way smootherthan New Gen.
Old 06-08-2024, 12:10 PM   #7
Pro

vetmin's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
This has essentially been in every basketball game in existence, so while there’s a chance there may be a breakthrough with the next generation of consoles, so wouldn’t hold your breath for 2K25. We’ve barely just gotten to the point where you can’t break stationary dribbling as often as you used to.

It’s not something I really notice unless I’m looking for it…and it definitely doesn’t take precedent over other aspects of the game for me personally, but I know it’s something that really bothers some. Hopefully they can lessen how often it happens going forward.
To repeat what sirdez said, it's noticeably worse this year, both in terms of severity and frequency. There's just no way around that. I've never seen anything remotely as bad as in OP's clips since I began playing 2K (i.e., 2K20), and the glitches that do occur in the previous games don't happen nearly as much. It's just ironic since the attentiveness to animations that would lead one to appreciate ProPLAY is the same attentiveness that would lead one to bemoan the just-as-prevalent animation downgrades in the dribbling department. I've asked before but no one's really clarified: Were these same issues in 2K23 new-gen? I have assumed not, but I don't know from experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by liftheavy9
Interesting. I played 23 on os5 old gen version and enjoyed it much better also.
I saw this in a Reddit thread today:

Quote:
User: xDGNx2K; Thread: "What 2K do you hate with a Passion"

Bad

21 next, 23 next, 24 current

Good

20, 21 current, 22 next, 24 next

Great

22 current, 23 current

Anything pre 20 I only played blacktop and myleague. Also every nextgen so far, blacktop and myleague have been good asf.
...which I found very interesting. r/NBA2k tends to be more MyPlayer-focused so I dunno exactly what this guy's opinion is based on, but 22 & 23 old-gen are indeed good games.
Old 06-08-2024, 06:56 PM   #8
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by vetmin
To repeat what sirdez said, it's noticeably worse this year, both in terms of severity and frequency. There's just no way around that. I've never seen anything remotely as bad as in OP's clips since I began playing 2K (i.e., 2K20), and the glitches that do occur in the previous games don't happen nearly as much. It's just ironic since the attentiveness to animations that would lead one to appreciate ProPLAY is the same attentiveness that would lead one to bemoan the just-as-prevalent animation downgrades in the dribbling department. I've asked before but no one's really clarified: Were these same issues in 2K23 new-gen? I have assumed not, but I don't know from experience.

I saw this in a Reddit thread today:

...which I found very interesting. r/NBA2k tends to be more MyPlayer-focused so I dunno exactly what this guy's opinion is based on, but 22 & 23 old-gen are indeed good games.

I’d say there’s a way around it, I’ve played NBA 2K18, lol

but in seriousness, it’s been going on for a long time. Pick a game_warping into YT and go down the rabbit hole. You’ll get your ‘23 answer and more.

https://youtu.be/tu38KyPLfyA?si=vcuJxMx5CTvNCTEs

Extremely bothersome for some which I get…but for ME personally, Who has been playing since 2K didn’t have a number after it and kind of just understanding where we are with gaming….a visual glitch isn’t going ruin the fact a bunch of slick new signature style was added to the game. Remove Pro Play completely next year, and that glitch will be likely right here waiting for you in ‘25 unfortunately.

We’ll see what happens as we move forward though. Hopefully it appears less for those who have seen it as a constant this year.

Last edited by The 24th Letter; 06-08-2024 at 07:07 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »